Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

What's on the other side of a black hole?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I've seen a lot of threads touching on this, and watched Sphere yesterday. I decided that as soon as I was healthy enough to address this topic, I would.

What's on the other side of a black hole? I'll let you answer that by asking you the same question in different words. What's on the other side of the sun?

Current theory is that a black hole is just a super dense neutron star. The phrase black "hole" is very misleading, and, in my opinion, should be changed to black star. A red giant becomes so massive, it collapses on it's self, causing a supernova, the second largest observed release of energy in the universe. Not all red giants reach this kind of explosion, but those that do leave their mark.

The results is a star that is so dense, so gravimetricly strong, that light can't even get out of it. Anything nearby is sucked into it via the force of gravity, where it is compressed to the same level the black star is. The more stuff that falls into it, the stronger it gets, and the more stuff it pulls in.

The black stars at the center of galaxies have been doing this for a while, and are huge, resulting in whole galaxies rotating around them.

Elliptical galaxies give evidence that there is another phase for the black star. Those galaxies don't have the black star at the center, but have the shape of something that used to be a spiral galaxy before the spin stopped. I'm not even going to go there because the theories on that are as varied as they were in the 70s about black "holes".

Naturally, this widely accepted theory could be completely false, as well. Fact is, we've never been to one and we've never seen one. We've only seen the side effects of one's presence.

EDIT: I would have loved to see Cmdr Keen Kid wipe his brow after reading the content as much as I'd have liked to see him shake his head and think to himself "Oh man, not you, too, JJ" after reading the subject

[edit on 2-21-2005 by junglejake]

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I think this topic is pretty well covered in other threads, but here's my understanding anyway.

There's nothing on the other side of a black hole, matter is drawn in and condensed at the event horizon. Nothing can pass through the black hole, so all the shredded matter piles up like a train wreck, with bursts of radiation escaping at the poles.

If you were floating towards a black hole, feet first, your legs would appear to get longer and longer as you got closer to the black hole. The stretching would heat up your legs, and it would go from warm to hot to unbearable. Your molecules would be stripped from their configurations and shredded in the immense gravity put off from the singularity. Your feet would never reach the 'other side' because your whole body would stretch and stretch, getting thinner and thinner, essentially trying to fit through a hole with a negative radius.

If I'm wrong, I'm sure somebody will correct me, but I think that's the deal.

Of course, you should read "A Brief History of Time" if you haven't already. There are plenty of good books out there, lots of whack jobs with strange theories too, it's a smorgasbord.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 09:05 AM
link   
the stuff on the other side of a black hole(star, whatever floats your boat...) is a parallel universe, ours is slowly being sucked away and put into another universe. its simplay going in one hole and coming out the other, much like taking a poop is. what gos in must come out, also, when the sun goes to get sucked in, its going to clog the hole and were going to send a manned mission to the sun to help get it through, were going through the backway to the balck hole, opening u[p the pipes that the stuff travels through, and put massive ammounts of drano in it.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 09:19 AM
link   
i hate to say it but...

use the "search" function...

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 09:22 AM
link   
That's odd...Why, then, does the matter all stay here in ours? Why on earth (on universe?) would a black hole be a portal to another universe if it is simply a super dense star?

As to A Brief History of Time, Hawking has updated his theory since then. The event horizon still exists, but it is simply regarded as the point at which light gets sucked in instead of refracted. That's why I love science, it's being updated every day based on newly found data. Stephen Hawking isn't, thankfully, so arrogant as to say his original theory before new data became available is true despite the data. Hawking is good people, in my book

This theory is fairly new, though. It was widly accepted only about 2 or 3 months ago.

Schmidt, I just reread through your post, and you might be thinking of a worm hole. Those are supposed to have both ends in our galaxy. However, with current (as of may, 2003) multiverse theory, this works. More on that if y'all ask
Looooong topic to discuss!

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I think its just like the brumuta triangel.You go in and you come out somewhere elys.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by elektro
I think its just like the brumuta triangel.You go in and you come out somewhere elys.

Why? Because Hollywood told you? Or is there some scientific backing to your statement?

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 09:38 AM
link   
That brumuta triangle will get you every time..

I think you mean Bermuda, that's a place. The Bermuda triangle also isn't some mystical unexplained situation, it just experiences more rogue waves, whirlpools, and freak storms than most places. That's why a lot of ships and planes have been lost in the area. It's not because of a black hole or a worm hole.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
That brumuta triangle will get you every time..

I think you mean Bermuda, that's a place. The Bermuda triangle also isn't some mystical unexplained situation, it just experiences more rogue waves, whirlpools, and freak storms than most places. That's why a lot of ships and planes have been lost in the area. It's not because of a black hole or a worm hole.

This is also because it is one of the highest trafficed (is that a word?) places in the world. There are tons of planes and boats that go through there, and collisions are bound to happen. There are some interesting other stories that come out of there, though.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I heared that the ammount of accidents there is about the same as normal.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by tomcat ha
I heared that the ammount of accidents there is about the same as normal.

Could be, I'm basing my information on a Discovery show I saw a couple years ago.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake

What's on the other side of a black hole?

Current theory is that a black hole is just a super dense neutron star.

The more stuff that falls into it, the stronger it gets, and the more stuff it pulls in.

[edit on 2-21-2005 by junglejake]

yeah, but from the stuff i've read on BH, the theories don't really get into the idea of what they mean by the 'collapse'- - do they mean that the spaces between electrons & the nucleus collapse?? or do other atoms intrude into the 'space' of adjoining atoms??

in either case, the integrity of the atoms making those elements that have become entrapped into the BH are no longer seperate, individual, mini-solar system models....but a whole new, intermingled 'material' in this universe of matter.

but i suppose, it might be possible that when absolutely all 'space' between all different components of all atoms, sub-atomic particles and all the faintest quantum quarks is 'collapsed' from that BH...it then becomes, in an instant, another 'Big Bang', like the one our present universe is thought to have sprang from.. as a final meme, there is no 'other-side' to a BH...just as surrounding matter is drawn into it, all 'perspectives' are reduced to just one localized 'point-in-space' (ultimately attaining an infinite density??)

in other words, it's a one-way-street, a dead-end, for all physical matter,

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 10:27 AM
link   
its a alien weapone

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 01:18 PM
link   
So far as I understand, the matter is simply compressed, losing much of that open space. Like a Neutron Star, the black hole is simply a massive amount of matter in a small amount of space. I liked that website's example, stating that if humanity were compressed to the level of a neutron star, we'd be the size of a sugar cube. All of us, not just an individual.

The empty space you're referring to is definitely in atoms, but a lot more is between atoms. If there's enough force put on "stuff", it'll compress to a ridiculously small size before compromising the integrity of the atom.

You do make an interesting point, though. It's theorized that a neutron star (the "big" ones) has compressed the atoms to the point where there is no space between them. To get a black hole, you'd have to remove the distance between the outer electron shell and the nucleus. If you were to remove the electrons, this would cause the entire object to be positively charged, expelling its self into space.

Now, just coming up with this on my own with no scientific backing except to say that it seems to make sense physics wise in my head (I'm also very tired
) here's a wee theory for y'all. A black hole is matter compressed to such a degree that the nuclei are in the center while the electrons orbit the outside of this object. The big bang could have been a result of there being too much positive matter where the electron's magnetic shield couldn't contain it and it shot out, creating the universe. Then, as time passed and black holes developed, they became larger and larger leading to the big crunch; all of matter forming into a singularity which couldn't contain its self, blowing out again. 4th dimension theories stated that there was no beginning nor end to time. Of course, the information I'm using for coming up with this hypothesis is about 6 or 7 years old, haven't done too much dimension research recently, beyond octinoins.

At least I can count on y'all to point out the flaws in what I said
ATS's scientific community rocks! Learn me, and I'll do the same for you!

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne

I saw a show that offered the theory that there is a lot of methane gas being released from the seafloor in the Bermuda area. They showed that all these air bubbles released at once can cause havoc, and possibly even sink ships and the methane creates many problems for airplanes as well.

As far as the other side of a black hole, I'm not quite sure what is there. I found it interesting that Stephen Hawking recently paid off a bet with a fellow researcher regarding the nature of Black holes. Hawking claimed nothing could escape the pull of a black hole. It turns out certain types of information does escape a black hole's event horizon.

So Hawking paid off his bet.

Here is an article on a mini black hole that was recently discovered by Hubble.

A comparatively runty black hole that has perplexed astronomers for years because of its unusual mass is actually heftier than thought, but it is still the least massive of its type ever detected....

www.space.com...

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 03:48 AM
link   
neonknight
I saw that same show, it was interesting, and their science seemed plausible on the surface. Still, it could be the site of atlantis, and when humans trespass, the fish-men rise to the surface and wage war on our advanced technology with coral tridents.

Or it's that methane bubble thingy..

Though I'm not sure the methane bubble would be able to down a high flying aircraft unless it exploded around the fuselage of the plane, maybe from an engine spark or something. That's highly implausible though I think. More likely, the agitated sea causes disruptions in the wind patterns, and extreme turbulence drive airplanes down to sea level.

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Wyrde One: .."coral tridents".

Now that I think about it, the tridents theory is the more likely explanation.

I think the show also mentioned that the methane could cause problems with the avionic systems on aircraft. Compasses spin, radio waves get deflected and circuit boards frazzle.

I think they set up some kind of experiment with an old propeller engine and a compressor with methane being directed to the engine. I think the engine actually stalled instead of blowing up, as they thought might happen.

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Schmidt1989

Heheheh, thats funny!!!

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I have actually traveled past a black hole. Im a retired "Reservation Astronaut" Its a top secret program that the government has that is of highest secracy. Im in a public library just because I would dissapear from this planet for even mentioning this. I have not signed in so I can't be traced. The Reservation Astronauts were used in top secret missions, only a handful have survived. Some are still traveling at this time at the speed of light. They are not aging as they found that at a certain speed they can control aging and there for have completely dropped the ammount of food intake to almost zero. The cargo of food was still enormous that was sent on a couple of these missions. They use the gravitational pull of earth's gravity to slingshot the mission at high speeds then directing to other gravity sources eventually using the full gravity force of the black hole to give the ultimate slingshot to the speed of light. This mission can be launched every 2 years if so wanted, as the planet's and debree are clear. They use gravitational pull to slow them as well. I made my trip and upon returning my kids were grown, I was forgotten until radio transmissions were made on an outdated frequency that was picked up by a university. Government had to play it down as a joke. I was told I had a space virus that could destroy the entire planet. I was taken into an area of security where I thought about the huge effect on this leaking out and actually had to plan my escape without any signs and before they knew them selves they would have to execute me. I am still on the lose with multiple plastic surgeries done as to hide my appearance. I have some of the highest quality diamond that my ship gathered from an astroid that I was missioned to. It was a complete diamond astroid and I have been living off of several small pieces I was able to smuggle off the ship upon landing in the Ocean. ... I have to go, someone efwraetjkjweggrt helpppp

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I'm familiar with the way that hawkins looks at the issue, and i'm not one to question or contradict one of the most respected minds on the planet.

Well... i could, but i won't.

I can still speculate though.

I'm of the perspective (and Hawkin's theories supports this, in a way) that a black hole is nothing more than a dimensional whirl-pool similar to the whirl-pools we have here on earth, except this one is made of the over-lapping dimensional depths that make up the universe.

As such, anything that goes into a black hole will exist in every dimension or parallel universe at the same time.

So if you fire a nuke into a black hole, a nuke will come out of every single dimension that has that particular black hole in it.

Except this one, of course.

Okay, i'm just having fun here.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join