It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Loony Left and the Racist Right.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 10:04 AM
link   
So…..

I think this thread could be interesting, but I know that the title alone might have a few of you already tapping away on your keyboard ready to flame me for the provocative title alone. I implore you however to stick with it since it is exactly these kinds of derogatory and provocative terms I want to talk about because they are probably annoying me as much as you.

Now, I am sure that most people who are reading this thread have seen some pretty nasty language used on these boards, hell I am sure that most of us, myself included have been guilty of not showing the proper respect to fellow members. I am writing this thread because I really think it’s about time we all take a step back; take a deep breath and actually reflect on the way we converse with each other when it comes to political debate.

Regardless of whether it is the “loony” left or the “racist” right, if it’s the Nazi or the libtard with the Never-Trumper vs the Trumptard who all seem to have contracted some horrible debilitating condition known as Trump Derangement Syndrome in which they get triggered by every bit of political bait that is cast out there I think we need to talk about this. This is what political debate has turned into, particularly in this forum, the mud-pit. It’s almost now an ever-ending quest to out-insult the party opposite pushing the T@C’s to there absolute limits with really just a smattering of actual political debate and discussion sprinkled in for good measure.

When we really think about some of the crap we are saying to each other its getting really quite silly. Take for example the use of the phrase “looney left”, think about what you are actually saying when you use that phase because what you are truly saying is that you believe that people who disagree with you politically must be “looney” or in some way mentally deranged. The level of arrogance that implies is simply outstanding. We on the left are also not immune to falling into this trap, calling someone you don’t know a racist/Nazi/ xenophobe or whatever because they have expressed a view on an issue like immigration that does not fit your views is in my view at least a little bit looney. I don’t know you, you don’t know me other than reading a few posts, so how can anyone can possibly say with any degree of certainty if you are a Nazi sympathiser?

The same goes for this utterly stupid (yes its stupid) phrase of just saying “Trump Derangement Syndrome” with anything you disagree with. TDS goes both ways and I have personally seen both Trump supporters and their opposites use this phrase within equally pointless arguments. It’s almost as if when you run out of argument’s you just run to the TDS line because, hey, it might generate a few stars and distract form whatever was being debated 20 pages ago.

We as members I think all need to raise the bar in how we converse with each other and I for one don’t care who said what to you first or how abhorrent you might find funny looking alien in a suit’s views on whatever issue it might be. It’s all petty crap, I genuinely don’t think any members of ATS open up a thread with the intention of getting into a nasty debate full of pointless one-liner insult’s or pretending that your opinion somehow is of more value than that of another members and therefore deserves to be ridiculed accordingly. It is always possible to respectfully disagree without getting into the silly school yard comments and to be perfectly honest in my view if you can’t disagree with someone without resorting to disrespectful language then you probably shouldn’t be posting it.

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Nice try but you put it in the MUD Pit.

Commencing flinging in 3....2.....1

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: pavil

Well I think this is something that gets forgotten about far too much:

Political Mud-Pit Guidlines (revised)

Note that it indicates name-calling, baiting and activity otherwise labeled as political trolling elsewhere on the site. Not generally hateful, bigoted, mean-spirited or gratuitous personal attacks on fellow members. It's also not exempt from the usual forum expectation of remaining on topic.

The Political Mud Pit is not a safe space for trolling for laughs. It's not a place to abuse fellow members. It's not a place to post every inane story you just want to rage about. It's not a place to spam off topic content.

This is simple: The mud pit is not a place where members can personally insult each other. You can rip each other's politics up but you can't get personal just to slag someone you don't like. Additionally, posts must be relevant to the stated thread topic.

+1 more 
posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 10:14 AM
link   
The loony and racist left..

link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Star and flag for the title alone!

I haven't read through it all yet though...

I always considered myself left of centre but the last few years I've found myself swinging right of centre.
edit on 17-7-2018 by Wide-Eyes because: Law of attraction

link   

When the same arguments get beat into the ground by both sides its bound to end up in useless personal attacks.

How should one react to being called a racist?

It's just simply a recipe for disaster

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 10:15 AM
link   

A call for moral order....perfect!

Especially since you were able to work in a bunch of low key name calling and denigration anyway....

Noted oh font of wisdom!

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: notsure1

The loony and racist left..

I think someone has missed the point.....
edit on 17-7-2018 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

When the same arguments get beat into the ground by both sides its bound to end up in useless personal attacks.

How should one react to being called a racist?

It's just simply a recipe for disaster

Agreed, my point is basically that you should not be getting called a racist if your not actually a racist or if its just an assumption that is being made in the first place.

You just shouldn't be called you a racist in the first place.

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

I would have had to read it to miss it..

I just wanted to fix your title..
edit on 17-7-2018 by notsure1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Seems that thread title has a typo.

The loony,racist,left.

AMIRGIHT?

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 10:18 AM
link   

It is always possible to respectfully disagree without getting into the silly school yard comments and to be perfectly honest in my view if you can’t disagree with someone without resorting to disrespectful language then you probably shouldn’t be posting it.

agreed
good luck getting through the divide that has been established
it is a product of the baskets and crooked hillary
people who feel treated in a less than dignified manor will respond in kind

link   
Meh.
edit on 17-7-2018 by Plotus because: decided not to participate in this all too common attack mongering

link   

originally posted by: notsure1

I would have had to read it to miss it..

I just wanted to fix your title..

Well thats fine you have not read the OP so there is not much discussion we can have on it.

I think the title was just fine as it was.

Thanks for your input however I would hope that if you properly read the OP you might find you have something more contribute.

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Cheers!

I don't know how anyone can trust a person who wants any level authority over them, we used to call them "sheep".

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 10:19 AM
link   

You're hopeless.

Calling for everyone who disagrees with you to be more civil while through your whole op you're denigrating everyone who disagrees with you.

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 10:22 AM
link   

I think this thread could be interesting, but I know that the title alone might have a few of you already tapping away on your keyboard ready to flame me for the provocative title alone.

I dunno man. Double the alliteration? I don't know if I can handle it.

Heh jk. As for your thread topic. I agree. I don't converse here much anymore since this site has just devolved into a political mud slinging contest and when I do I usually say may bit then bow out when the nastiness starts showing itself. Which, like clockwork, is almost always within the first few responses to what I said.

When I'm lurking, I'll read a thread title, recognize it as political bait, roll my eyes, then open it and see the usual suspects throwing around political slurs and insults instead of any actual conversation. It's not very conducive to opening a debate. I don't have a problem discussing politics, but I'm not here to make it personal or debate fallacies and personal attacks against me.

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

You're hopeless.

Calling for everyone who disagrees with you to be more civil while through your whole op you're denigrating everyone who disagrees with you.

Well its unfortunate that you have interpreted what I have said in that way.

I honestly wrote this trying to call out both sides, even the left, if I have failed in doing that in your opinion then there is not much I can do about it other than to ensure you that I had no hidden meaning behind this thread other than to encourage us to think a little more about how we converse with each other when it comes to political debate.

I do not mean to denigrate anyone individual I only mean to criticise those of us who all to often seem to be resorting to the use of name-calling and just generally disrespectful tones in the course of what is supposed to be a political debate.

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 10:25 AM
link   

And then I read the rest and it's the same partisan crap you always post...

edit on 17-7-2018 by Wide-Eyes because: Missed word

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

And then I read the rest and it's the same partisan crap you always post...

What is partisan about it, honestly like I said above I have called out the left as much as the right.

I will admit it may not be perfectly balanced but I have done my upmost to make a equal point against both groups where I can.

new topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join