It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian National Charged in Conspiracy to Act as an Agent of Russia Within the United States

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 05:52 PM
link   

A criminal complaint was unsealed today in the District of Columbia charging a Russian national with conspiracy to act as an agent of the Russian Federation within the United States without prior notification to the Attorney General.

The announcement was made by Assistant Attorney General for National Security John C. Demers, U.S. Attorney for the District of Columbia Jessie K. Liu, and Nancy McNamara, Assistant Director in Charge of the FBI’s Washington Field Office.

Maria Butina, 29, a Russian citizen residing in Washington D.C., was arrested on July 15, 2018, in Washington, D.C., and made her initial appearance this afternoon before Magistrate Judge Deborah A. Robinson in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia. She was ordered held pending a hearing set for July 18, 2018.

justice.gov

Interesting timing, my guess is it was going to come out today no matter how the summit went.

I'm not going to get all deep state on you all, but clearly there are people who want turbulent relations with Russia.

I also like the wording of "complaint was filed". Anyone know if that means this won't stick?

The charges in criminal complaints are merely allegations and every defendant is presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. The maximum penalty for conspiracy is five years. The maximum statutory sentence is prescribed by Congress and is provided here for informational purposes. If convicted of any offense, a defendant’s sentence will be determined by the court based on the advisory U.S. Sentencing Guidelines and other statutory factors.

edit on 16-7-2018 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Late to the party. I did a quick skim, the other thread is worded differently so I missed it.

Do what ya need to mods.

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 09:23 PM
link   
And in other news today, Congressional hopefuls in Florida along with State Represenatives head to Cuba to campaign, and "listen" to the Cuban people and how to better serve them. It's an upside down world wide circus.

join