It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your favourite age or time period in your life

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: RoScoLaz5
Every kid is looking at a screen these days, taking pictures of their summer fun but not actually enjoying it like days gone by, just seeking 'likes' for whatever it is they are doing.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
a reply to: RoScoLaz5

Are kids these days even allowed out on their own these days?
The world has changed big time, or people's perceptions of it has.

As if, i have to tell where i'm going and with who, i'm not allowed to leave the city or go to certain places, i need to constantly check in and tell them where i am, sometimes i have to send a picture to prove i am where i said and with who i said i was lmao

If i wanted to go out for a night i have to do crazy things like organize with my friends so that we all cover for each other and can go out without problems but then it feels not so great because having to lie and not being really free

Failure to report constantly and get in trouble most likely would end up in no more money/help and having to go back home immediately with no way to avoid it

Like jail but less sad lmao

Every kid is looking at a screen these days

But what else to do xaxa, i don't have a tv, magazines are very bad and expensive, books are even more, people are not allowed to go out freely to meet whatever place we want, too much danger out there or so they say

i go out to the park every night and there are gangs around and some of them are not nice and we get in trouble some times, the cops are immediately there and they are not nice at all, well some are but rarely, they show up with big guns and acting all rough and stuff and we have to go once they show up even if we did nothing

Other places like coffee shops are too expensive and we got no cash, just standing on the street in group is not advised as we can get confused with a gang and even if not the cops eventually show up to disperse the crowd

There are no places to go so i don't know, is boring and there are only a few things to do

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: WarriorMH

Gosh that sounds bleak! I remember your age from a previous thread, remember that weirdo lol, when I was your age I was in bars clubs and free parties/raves having a blast!
I was living and working independently from age 16 though so maybe misspent youth for me lol...cops only carry lame sticks in my area as well so it is/was easier.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Gosh that sounds bleak! I remember your age from a previous thread, remember that weirdo lol, when I was your age I was in bars clubs and free parties/raves having a blast!
I was living and working independently from age 16 though so maybe misspent youth for me lol...cops only carry lame sticks in my area as well so it is/was easier.

Sometimes that's why i wish i had been born 20/30 years earlier, i bet it was different because i have seen how people remember it and how people lived things back then, but oh well

I can't go to bars, i need to have an id to even enter, not a chance otherwise except for a couple places that are a bit more friendly but i have to take care of not getting them in trouble so pretty much we spent time in friend's houses when there is a chance, so rarely it is going out to a bar or places like that, and there have been some times when we had raves in friend's houses and always someone tell on us and a hundred cops arrive and is time to run and hide
that's all there is to it but it gets to be some fun at least

Here cops will look at you and if you look back you may be in trouble, specially if you can't explain what you are doing there. On the other hand i had been in a situation where my friends were detained and i was not and i had a few drinks and this girl cop told me to take the car and get home. I explained i did not have a driver's license and she said it doesn't matter you go, and it was a Charger 2017 car very nice so i drove it home like crazy lmfao and no one said anything at all and my friends spent the night in jail, that was crazy lol

Of course i did not get home right away *wink*, not a chance. i drove for about 40 minutes before going home

In general i feel like there is a lot of oppression going on, when compared to other times and is very easy to see, for example parks are supposed to be for people who live on that neighborhood but we are mostly not welcome only small kids and i guess once those kids grow up and get our age they will also not be welcome or how will that work ?

I don't think it makes much sense as i can only feel rejected by that but we did not do anything but gather there to talk and have fun. Lately it looks like if you are a group of 10 or whatever people you are dangerous and cops are called, dumb people

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 06:54 PM
link   

There are no places to go so i don't know, is boring and there are only a few things to do

Buy a basketball,a baseball glove,a football,a bicycle or a fishing pole.
Why stand around in a group with thumbs up your asses?

10 people can make a good game out of something.

I was raised in an era with no internet or cell phones....I pity people growing up in this age.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 06:55 PM
link   

It was definitely easier back in the early 90's being young, my son is always jealous of my tales lol.
No cctv, security let you in bars and clubs so long as you behaved even though they knew you were underage.
These days young people have to buy fake UK driver licenses off the internet and they are not cheap.

Our cops are still chilled though, they prefer young people to be in a safe controlled environment instead of in some shady park or secluded beach where they could be more vulnerable. They turn a blind eye so long as they can present some fake id with a fake date of birth lol

I love modern technology but I loved the days when checking a mates status meant knocking their door.

edit on 19-7-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: stupid auto correct

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: DrumsRfun

I think the member is talking about night time activities so partying and such like.
Cops sound strict where they are, plenty of beach parties in my parts, cops let it slide, especially if it's some dangerous cliff path to get down to it...and yes we do lose people every year from falls including close friends of mine, it's the culture here though.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrumsRfun

Buy a basketball,a baseball glove,a football,a bicycle or a fishing pole.
Why stand around in a group with thumbs up your asses?

10 people can make a good game out of something.

I was raised in an era with no internet or cell phones....I pity people growing up in this age.

We have those, we are just not very welcome to play there if we are more than a few, it becomes an issue of being "too many to handle" and it turns into that problem again, like "hey guys, you are too many and there are little kids and you are going to hit them, let them play they are small and need space, you can come later at night" and then later at night 'Hey it is night already don't you have to be home? People need to sleep and you make too much noise, go home you are not kids anymore, be considerate and responsible to others"

In general is just an uneasy feeling to be there because you can see that people wishes we were not at all and if you resist and say you have a right to be there too you just became violent and problematic, the entire thing is dumb and retarded lol

So anyway we find ways to have fun but there is this feeling that people suck in some ways as soon as they feel in control of things. People are strange, sometimes suck and sometimes are very lame and self centered, but anyway i think this thread was about something else entirely and we are going on a different direction which i don't like much

Thanks for your reply

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Ah I don't mind off topic in my threads if the conversation flows there organically

...I really would love going back to age 29 again and reliving it though!

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Ah I don't mind off topic in my threads if the conversation flows there organically

...I really would love going back to age 29 again and reliving it though!

Oh i think i usually end up in the end of a conversation of "me against you" and i would like to avoid that lmao, it never has a good end and i can see from past times that it happened that i will be told off so i better not start things

If things go ahead how i had planned them i expect to say something similar to you a few years from now he he.

I can't see much beyond what you have said before but it looks so much fun i also would like to live a life like yours, for sure

My grand father once told me, "it is easy to feel like you feel right now but you will have to understand that you will have better or worse days but you will still want to live them again all together" It was something like this, not exact words
but it was because i liked to train Kempo Karate and i was hit very hard and almost had a broken rib and it was the worse time i had until then, i stopped training and now i wish i hadn't and that i could go back and keep going, i would have a black belt by now but i did not know i would regret it

Now i wish to relive it even with the pain and humiliation that i could not take back then, i was very dumb i did not get what he mean, he should have say "pick your stuff you are going back or else!" lol, he was all about letting people chose and learn so i lost there
edit on 19-7-2018 by WarriorMH because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 07:48 PM
link   

I get ya!
I've made loads of dumb moves in life and will do loads more again for sure, that's just being human lol
Right now I can't sleep because it's so hot, nearly 2 am and all my windows are wide open including my front door, burglars paradise when I do fall asleep.
Dumb move for sure potentially!

...your grandfather sounded wise, enjoy every stage of life though, we don't have a rewind button unfortunately

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 12:55 AM
link   

I get ya!
I've made loads of dumb moves in life and will do loads more again for sure, that's just being human lol
Right now I can't sleep because it's so hot, nearly 2 am and all my windows are wide open including my front door, burglars paradise when I do fall asleep.
Dumb move for sure potentially!

...your grandfather sounded wise, enjoy every stage of life though, we don't have a rewind button unfortunately

I hate when that happens lol, i can't endure the hot climate, i have to live with AC most of the time and it kills me because it is very expensive here, well i don't pay it on my own lmfao but i could get better use of that money if not from the hot climate. What makes me not sleep is crazy people singing songs, drive noisy bikes, argue or play very loud music outside at 2/3 am suddenly, if i wake up then i will not be able to sleep again until 7 am or so, it is terrible

My papa was great but i wish he had been more honest and firm. He did teach me one very critical thing, how to shoot and that's what eventually saved my life so i guess he did the right thing there
He was a mix of things to be honest, some times not listening at all some times being way too honest sometimes really being very wise. What he always was for sure is someone who took care of things and never gave up, even on cancer in his last days. He never gave up and never let us down, i admire that so much, to be strong like that and don't let anyone around you feel down or worried

I always thought your country was cold 100% of the time for some reason lmfao, i have never seen a movie or tv show where you are through hot season, it is more like it always look like raining and the sky is gray and so on, i know you have beaches and yet in any movie or pic i have seen it always look like it's about to rain or very cold

edit on 20-7-2018 by WarriorMH because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 04:17 AM
link   

AC is rare in private homes in the UK because it would only really be needed a month or two in the year. This really hot weather is unusual for sure. Wish it cooled down at night though.

I lost my dad to cancer as well, he also fought to the end, I like to think I'll be as strong as him if I'm in a similar situation.

And haha, yes we do have a bit of summer every year in Britain, but yes most of the time it is grey skies and drizzle rain. We don't even get a proper winter in my parts either, just grey skies and drizzle rain lol
Rarely drops below zero degrees either, although we had snow for a couple of days this year and that was fun, I hadn't played in snow for about 10 years.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I would say right after graduation, still young and a little bit stupid

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Family didint have much during the 80s and 90s, but just so much fun during those years.

Every changed after the year 2000

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 02:08 PM
link   

That's exactly how I feel, like your owner. I still love concrete mixing, pouring, screeding and especially finishing. It's hard work, however I find that my current "speed" is more suited to concrete work -- as much of it is waiting, after the initial labour is done.

A person should do what they enjoy. I've always loved building and other creative endeavours. I don't want to get to the end of my days and lament that I wish I would have or fret about days that I just pissed away on useless drama. Nope. Use 'em or lose 'em. I come to ATS because I love this place, and I like to imagine that I give back a little of what I get.

You know the best thing about being 60? No time for bull#. Say what you think. Do what you want. Laugh a lot. Do some good.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: argentus

He's not my owner, I contract with him more than other people because he owns so many properties, I'm my own self employed man, but I know what you mean. He's the guy offering the work and he does the work himself. I reckon if he stopped working he'd die within months.

60's as you and him have it seem like the new 40's. We went wakeboarding together taking turns driving his speedboat the other day, he's amazing and I am crap on the board lol, but he has done it all his life and I am more a kayak man.
I want to be active the same in my 60's as you guys are.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 08:09 PM
link   

a reply to: argentus

He's the guy offering the work and he does the work himself. I reckon if he stopped working he'd die within months.

The same happened to my great aunt, she was very hard working and one day my aunts said she should enjoy and rest and stop working so hard, she was like 75 or so, and so they hired someone to take care of all the house work and my great aunt was just to rest watching tv or going for walks or shopping, less than 6 months later she had trouble walking and keeping herself awake or focused, and one year or so after she stopped working she passed away

To me it was obvious it happened because she stopped working and lost meaning in life and did not know what to do or how to enjoy it because taking care of her house was fun for her and what she liked, she did not need to she wanted to do it

At some point a year or so ago i was very rude to one of my aunts because i told her that my great aunt died because they killed her by doing that because she felt useless, lonely, bored and without meaning anymore and she let herself go. I know i hurt them by saying that but i still believe is true and i got very angry that they were all feeling bad for themselves because of her passing while at the same time saying it was 'God chose to take her away" and "it was her time". I don't believe it at all, they did it by not understanding how the big change would affect her and they did not care how much she did not want to stop doing her daily work.

but anyway i'm already again going randomly off topic lmao, i'm sorry

I would love some snow right now xaxa, i realize you said that you go out of the country when it gets too cold? Sometimes i get the AC very very cold then make sbiten just so that i can feel at least for a bit that i'm home lmao. I like to pretend sometimes

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 03:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bloodworth

Family didint have much during the 80s and 90s, but just so much fun during those years.

Every changed after the year 2000

Hi, when you say it changed after 2000, how do you mean? Don't want to intrude sorry, just curious about how things turned out.

I remember similar times and I can say that we never had it bad with money but once we got more serious money things turned out bad in general and some things were lost so I was just thinking about it and how it turned out for you

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Haha lots of my threads go off-topic, but I quite like it if the conversation has flowed organically and people are being friendly.

I had to search sbiten, that sounds really nice on a cold winter day. I drink Mulled Wine in winter, it is red wine hot and with herbs and spices.
I got married in the winter. My bride to be wanted the 'best' church in the area, one which tourists come to see set in a beautiful country park near the shore. There was a two year waiting list for summer though so we went for it in winter...and it didn't rain! We had mulled wine for all the guests, as much as they wanted, serve themselves from a ladle in the cooking pots.
I was at that country park yesterday evening/night at a gathering with many friends, fire, BBQ, good music, drinks, and lots of laughs. It was to commemorate my mates birthday at his apple tree...the mate who fell of a cliff a couple of years ago.

So, after my rambling on, I know I started this thread thinking a certain age was my favourite, but since talking about stuff here I'm not so sure now, maybe all ages are just different with varying degrees of good times and bad times.
Last night I was musing to myself about that when a particular track was played and I was sat on the grass in the setting sun, surrounded by 50 odd close friends who go back to the 1990's, I felt I couldn't be happier and life is beautiful.

Perception is all I guess about our lives at any given time, but love from friends, if you have that, then maybe all times of our life become beautiful.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join