It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada Knows How to Rock! Post your music videos

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I listen mostly to Hitz FM. They've had Rock Search every year for over a quarter century. Amazing bands have come out of that.

I couldn't find a list of all the winners but there's loads of bands there that are well worth listening to.

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 09:45 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: discordantone

I remember Kick Axe(through the haze of those days)! I think I had one of their cassettes. Here's an obscure fact I found while reading up:

Meanwhile, the group appeared on the Transformers: The Movie soundtrack under the name of Spectre General, the name change being due to legal complications. They recorded two songs under that name: "Hunger" (later covered by King Kobra in their 1985 album Ready To Strike) and "Nothin's Gonna Stand in Our Way" (a cover of a song by John Farnham from the film Savage Streets) which were included on the soundtrack.

Killer Dwarfs from the 'Dirty Shwa' (Oshawa, ON)! I recall my wife telling me she once met one of them at a bar... She picked him up and placed him on the bar stool beside her; they had some drinks; the rest she can't remember but, says she thinks he was attempting to kill her.

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Wow, I think that was probably the heaviest thing I've ever heard in my life! Never heard of Strapping Young Lad New fan!
edit on 17-7-2018 by CanadianMason because: it's 'ng' not 'gn'?

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 11:00 AM
link   
My introduction to Canadian Rock

I was such a broomhead until The Zits came around

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Some older rockin:

Had to play that one.
And from my home town:

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

I Mother Earth 4 sure! I've always like them.

Love these lyrics from 'When Did You Get Back From Mars?':

You push it most days when you're young
And then one day you grow up
And everyone's wrong
They can't teach you nothing
They give you nothing
So you get thinking
Maybe there's a place
Where everyone floats South
In never-ending lemonade

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Finger Eleven

"One Thing" reached No.16 on the U.S charts. and received exposure on TV shows such as Scrubs, Smallville and Third Watch.

(Wasn't there something in the news recently about one of the cast members of 'Smallville'?) ; )

I love this song.

Love Monster Truck. New album 'True Rockers' coming out in September! www.ilovemonstertruck.com...

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

Hey, thanks for the link to the CSHF. It points to two inductees (besides Young and Cockburn) who I have never heard about before: Beau Dommage, a Folk Rock band from Montreal, QC; and, Stephane Venne. No idea what to think. It's definitely not rock...but kinda' sounds like some sort of version of Neil Diamond, maybe? Whatever it is, it's bloody horrible, lol!

So, we have:

Neil Young & Crazy Horse;

Bruce Cockburn

Beau Dommage (Not bad blues guitar)

Stephane Venne (Good lord, or should I say Bon dieu!)

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: auroraaus

Hahaha! That's great!

From Wiki about Degrassi Junior High show:

Though the most popular of the fictional bands created in the show was "Zit Remedy", or later rechristened, "The Zits".

And, as a side note of interest perhaps to you because you're presumably an Aussie, as you say on your profile:

In the episode It's Late, Wheels can be clearly seen wearing a Footscray Bulldogs sweater. What is unusual is that the sport, Australian rules football and its organization, the VFL, at the time would have been unknown in Canada. Although the VFL staged several exhibition matches that year, the Bulldogs were not involved and were perhaps the least successful and supported teams in the league. The Australian Football League (Aussie Rules Football) actually had a cult following in Canada in the 1980s, as the games were televised on The Sports Network from the early 1980s to the early 1990s.

Oh, one more thing: I wouldn't say you're a "broomhead"; I'd never insult you like that, lol!

TOP DEFINITION broomhead A dumb person. Insult found only on the TV show Degrassi Junior High. Shut up Wheels, you broomhead! by Giselle Gardonyi March 16, 2004
~ Urban Dictionary

edit on 17-7-2018 by CanadianMason because: I'm a broomhead?

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: CanadianMason

She started a band called Minx. I think SP is back together because they have a FB page and Nicole is on it www.facebook.com...

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Killjoys were good

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Something a little newer. USS (Ubiquitous Synergy Seekers) is a band from Hamilton, ON

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 03:38 PM
link   

I was very aware of all those factoids.

Big fan.

I remember I was three, sitting cross legged in front of the TV with a hot bowl of custard watching the episode Bye Bye Junior High and mortified and terribly sad the school burned down. I was scared of anything resembling boilers for many many years.

Big fan!

edit on 17-7-2018 by auroraaus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 11:00 PM
link   

The Stampeders! Yes, and how could anyone not like...

Steppenwolf

Best Canadian band....ever!

Became a fan around 15 or 16...here's my favourite song of theirs:

And as a tribute to all our beautiful American Women neighbours:

The Guess Who

And...I love the East Coast of Canada...music there is phenomenal! So's the beach oysters and beer! Shuck you! April Wine

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 11:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Autorico

aah, very interesting!

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 11:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Autorico

Killjoys
Indeed!

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 11:09 PM
link   
a reply to: wlasp

Not bad...I'm always up for an after-party campfire with glow sticks!

The USS sound is a mixture of drum and bass beats, grunge-like guitar riffs, and 2-step rhythms. "We like to call what we do the campfire after-party," Ash said, "It's like you're at Nirvana Unplugged but there's a drum and bass party and glow sticks all around you."

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 11:13 PM
link   
a reply to: auroraaus

LOL! I promise. Nothing'll go wrong at the graduation dance. Woot!

Boilers creep me out too!

edit on 17-7-2018 by CanadianMason because: I think boilers are creepy too?

edit on 17-7-2018 by CanadianMason because: I want to ask you out to the graduation dance?

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Did you also check out the second video in my post?

Supercrush, by Devin Townsend Project, is not the heaviest thing ever, but its SOOOO engrossing. Its an absolute stormer of a song live. The whole crowd sings along, and its just magic, straight up spellbinding.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join