It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PSA: CDC warning on Kellogg’s Honey Smacks: “Do not eat this cereal”

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

I don't think it's quite that expensive where we live, but I live out in flyover land where the cost of living is low. Things tend to be cheaper here.

Still the average cost of name brand cereal is prohibitive to our budget.

For what you get in the box, they seem to think you need to pay a premium. Some brands easily push $5 for a box, and if you want to try to get a healthy cereal, it gets worse.

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 09:17 PM
link   

You don't seem to spend much time looking at labels do you?

Eggs are pretty damn cheap. The key is to only eat one, but if you're having a bowl of oatmeal and some fruit with it, then you shouldn't need to eat half the dozen. Right?
edit on 15-7-2018 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 09:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

You don't seem to spend much time looking at labels do you?

Maybe I can haggle for 50% off my Honey Smacks now due to biohazard risk..

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 10:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Lol, while at first Grape Nuts seem like a bag of rocks, they oddly grow on you. There is a strange desire to eat rocks in a bowl of milk after a while.

I blame my childhood. Haven't eaten sugar smacks in years though. No idea how salmonella is involved here...

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I can't understand how they discovered Salmonella was in the cereal, that cereal used to give me some of the same symptoms naturally as they say are salmonella. I would expect that to be normal for honey smacks. I haven't eaten those things in many years.

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Wait...didn't it used to be called Sugar Smacks???

And what's with the third party manufacturer? Foreign countries, anyone ??? Why not say where it comes from???
Kellogg's doesn't make its own cereals anymore?
How does cereal get salmonella?

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 10:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

And what's with the third party manufacturer? Foreign countries, anyone ??? Why not say where it comes from???
Kellogg's doesn't make its own cereals anymore?
How does cereal get salmonella?

Frogs.

Frogs carry salmonella.

"Diggum" is patient zero.

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 11:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

Mandella'd?

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 11:33 PM
link   

I'm thinking more a marketing attempt to make sweetened cereal appear healthy!!!

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 12:18 AM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963
I found about 10 or so boxes of Honey Smacks in the dumpster of our neibhorhood Dollar store about 2 weeks ago.

Me my dog and neihbors chickens have been eat the hell out it!

Yea, that's me gut like a dog.
[and chicken]

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 12:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

originally posted by: Nyiah
I think after Grape Nuts, Honey Smacks was one of my most loathed cereals of childhood.

Recalling both makes me want to gag.

I take it you were never forced to eat shredded wheat?
Because I would eat Grape Nuts all day over shredded wheat.

On topic:
How the hell does Honey Smacks get infected with salmonella???

I must have been a weird kid....I loved Frosted Mini Wheat ceareal.....

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 01:15 AM
link   
a reply to: madmac5150

Pffft frogs?? And here i have been believing it came from egg shells via chickens.

Wait... Frogs still don't answer this riddle of the Honey Smacks salmonella dilemma.

edit on 16-7-2018 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 01:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

originally posted by: schuyler

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: infolurker

Who the hell still eats cereal?

People on a budget. I know this word doesn't mean much to you, but it helps filling your stomach for cheap now and then.

Seriously? Cereal is damned expensive, specially if you start comparing its nutritional value (mostly sugar and carbs) to alternatives. One box of Grape Nuts, which is actually better for you than most other cereals, is $10. Kelloggs Sugar Frosted Flakes (mostly sugar) $8 a box. Eating that crap is a major cause of Fat People in this country.

Nutrition doesn't enter into budget.

And where do you live that cereal is 8 dollars a box??

No s#. Either he lives in Hawaii where EVERYTHING costs a small fortune to eat, or he's full of crap.

The highest cereal prices at the Meijer I shop at here in MI sets us back a little over $4 for an 11 oz bag of KIND granola or Back to Nature granola (the chocolate one) I think Bear Naked tops out around $5 a bag. It's the big-ass 56 oz Malt-O-Meals that top out around $7 or $8 a bag. The conventional cereals like Frosted Flakes and such only average $4 for the 18 oz ones compared to Schuyler's claims. The 13 oz ones are under $3.

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 01:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Wookiep

I dunno man, they always tasted like rock hard cardboard to me. The ONLY thing I've ever remotely enjoyed them in was yogurt, it gave it a novelty crunch.

Honest to god, I preferred Raisin Bran over those.

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 04:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Brywilson2

originally posted by: Nyiah
I think after Grape Nuts, Honey Smacks was one of my most loathed cereals of childhood.

Recalling both makes me want to gag.

I take it you were never forced to eat shredded wheat?
Because I would eat Grape Nuts all day over shredded wheat.

On topic:

I must have been a weird kid....I loved Frosted Mini Wheat ceareal.....

Not 'frosted' mini wheats.
Full blown, full size shredded wheat.
The original was big (3.5 ×2 inches approx) no sugar frosting. You had to break them up to eat them and the long strands were like eating excelsior. Later they made spoon size, much later added frosting.
edit on b000000312018-07-16T04:52:59-05:0004America/ChicagoMon, 16 Jul 2018 04:52:59 -0500400000018 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 05:50 AM
link   

People on a budget. I know this word doesn't mean much to you, but it helps filling your stomach for cheap now and then.

You're around five bucks for a box of sweetener and carbs that you then douse with dairy that has also run you around $5, I can think of far better things to ingest if you're on a budget that wont make you **** your pancreas out.

edit on 16-7-2018 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 06:21 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

You had to break them up to eat them and the long strands were like eating excelsior.

Memories...back when you had to work while eating breakfast.

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 06:36 AM
link   
I use to eat honey smacks all the time it's my favorite cereal. I was looking for it a month ago and it's disappeared off shelves. I thought they quit making it.

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Just don't eat any cereal ever.

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 08:22 AM
link   

That’s what I’m screaming! I learned recently that raw flour now contains salmonella and is as dangerous as raw eggs in unbaked cookie dough. Mass processing centers are infecting the basic food items that make up almost everything. This is bad news. Big companies seem to have the monopoly on wheat products. Do you know how to grow wheat, harvest it, store it, and grind it into flour? Do you know anybody who does?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join