It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PSA: CDC warning on Kellogg’s Honey Smacks: “Do not eat this cereal”

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Announcement since many of us rarely watch the regular news. I hope this saves someone from getting sick.

www.cbsnews.com...

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says a popular Kellogg's cereal has been linked to a salmonella outbreak that has infected 100 people in 33 states. The CDC tweeted Thursday that customers should avoid Honey Smacks. "Do not eat this cereal," the warning read.

The agency says it found salmonella in samples of Honey Smacks, which has been subject to a voluntary recall by Kellogg since mid-June.

In June, Kellogg said it was investigating the third-party manufacturer that produces Honey Smacks after it was contacted by the FDA and CDC about the illness.

The CDC says that regardless of expiration date, the cereal should be thrown away or returned to a retailer for a refund.

The CDC says at least 30 of the people infected in the outbreak have been hospitalized. It says most people infected with salmonella develop a fever, cramps or diarrhea within 12 to 72 hours of being exposed to the bacteria.

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Kellogg's Honey Smacks, now with salmonella. Ummm...

A dry cereal no less.

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

More benefits of laissez-faire capitalism over having any government at all!

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Ya know...I saw a blip about this the other day, and thought to myself "Honey Smacks are still available?"

I think maybe I had em twice as a kid...

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I think after Grape Nuts, Honey Smacks was one of my most loathed cereals of childhood.

Recalling both makes me want to gag.

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

I agree. We find the problem and fix it.

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Kellogg's uses GMOs'. Avoid at all costs. (They add vitamins and iron to their cornflakes. Coincidence...?)

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
I think after Grape Nuts, Honey Smacks was one of my most loathed cereals of childhood.

Recalling both makes me want to gag.

I take it you were never forced to eat shredded wheat?
Because I would eat Grape Nuts all day over shredded wheat.

On topic:
How the hell does Honey Smacks get infected with salmonella???

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Who the hell still eats cereal?

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

How do you figure?

Food processing is highly regulated.

www.fda.gov...

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 07:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

That's laughable. The FDA is one of the most regulatory bodies that exist in our huge government. For example, in order to bring a new drug to market, the FDA regulations cost $1 Billion per drug. In terms of food you now those ingredient labels? Not only do they have to list ingredients, the exact form of the label is governed by the FDA. And here you have the CDC, yet another government agency, forcing this recall. If you really wanted to point out "laissez-faire capitalism" you could not have picked a worse example. The FDA and the CDC are big government intrusion incarnate.

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 07:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

People on a budget. I know this word doesn't mean much to you, but it helps filling your stomach for cheap now and then.

Honey Smacks is one of few cereals that I can tolerate though.

edit on 15-7-2018 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Not Honey Smacks?!?!?!?!

I love that stuff. Well at least there is the big bag version which should still be good to go. And cheaper.

Oh...and something about capitalism and lazy fairs and stuff. Exactly what I think about over a dee-lish bowl of Honey Smacks.

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Send all of your unopen boxes to me! Guaranteed they won't make me sick! I have a secret that most won't want to hear about because they have been conditioned to eat sterilized foods.

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Dig em the frog likes the smack!

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 08:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

People on a budget. I know this word doesn't mean much to you, but it helps filling your stomach for cheap now and then.

Seriously? Cereal is damned expensive, specially if you start comparing its nutritional value (mostly sugar and carbs) to alternatives. One box of Grape Nuts, which is actually better for you than most other cereals, is $10. Kelloggs Sugar Frosted Flakes (mostly sugar) $8 a box. Eating that crap is a major cause of Fat People in this country.

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 08:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

Seriously? Cereal is damned expensive, specially if you start comparing its nutritional value (mostly sugar and carbs) to alternatives. One box of Grape Nuts, which is actually better for you than most other cereals, is $10. Kelloggs Sugar Frosted Flakes (mostly sugar) $8 a box. Eating that crap is a major cause of Fat People in this country.

Nutrition doesn't enter into budget.

And where do you live that cereal is 8 dollars a box??

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 08:29 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

I'll bite. What is your condition, I want to hear.

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Yeah, except cereal like that isn't breakfast on a budget.

Oatmeal or grits, an egg, and an apple or orange or banana is far healthier and more cost effective.

Large tub of quick oats $3.50. Makes numerous single servings of oatmeal at 1/2c scoop/serving.

Bananas are about 0.60/lb. We buy 5 every week and it costs us about $1.25.

12 eggs is around $2.50. If you only have one with your oatmeal and banana, you're good for a bit over two weeks on one dozen.

Apples and oranges are a bit more expensive, but if you watch your seasonal fruit, you can get decent sales where your picking up whatever is in season for less than $2.00/lb and you portion that out to last for the week. This morning, I picked up cherries for less than $2.00/lb and both peaches and red plums for $0.99/lb.
edit on 15-7-2018 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I'm sorry, but Mr. Rabid Dog nullified your post. Apparently where he lives cereal is 8 dollars a box. Is that how much it costs where you live too?

Cheaper to have steak and eggs for breakfast. Yah, ok..

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join