It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump hints at the Queen's private views on Brexit

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 07:18 AM
link   
I always had the the impression that the EU was patterned on the US but modeled on the Soviet Union.

To be part of a cooperative, members have to relinquish some power to the governing body. But the governing body should really only set the general guidelines, boundaries and handle arbitration. Which is the Federalist approach. The Anti-Federalists, centralize and consolidate power to the governing body to control the members.

That is the struggle the US has had for almost 250 years. Anyone with personal goals and desires can see which system gives them more freedom to pursue those interests at the risk of failing. If the risk is eliminated completely under the other system, there is not as much freedom of opportunity as anyone could try to do the same without fear of repercussions for failing to achieve. Do exactly what you are doing with an inferior product, but have more success by better promotion. Like starting a pizza chain for example.

As for Brexit, the people were given an open vote. Why anyone is surprised people voted for freedom is beyond me. The feet dragging is simply people resisting giving up power and reluctance to accept more responsibilities, which is no surprise either.

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 07:38 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

LOL. Since when did that ever stop old Philip publicly voicing his opinion...

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: maya27
They are two different people. She has a constitutional position, he doesn't.
(People get concerned when Prince Charles speaks out like his dad, in case he forgets to fall silent when he becomes king.)

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 07:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Did you just compare 2 people born into wealth and influence and say one is better than the other...

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Trump dodged the draft, the royal family send family members into conflict zones like the falklands and Afghanistan

He’s a classless oath in a cheap suit

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 08:11 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT

Firstly, I'm looking forward to watching the interview because I like Trump. I'm honest enough to say that I don't agree with all of his actions but do think he truly has America first in his heart and believes he is doing everything he can to fix the things he and half the US population believes Obama and past Potus have messed up. Secondly on him comment on Brexit, I'm all for it. Why? Because unlike Obama who came over to threaten us he is being optimistic and saying that he will do what he can to get us a good free trade deal, Obama came over and jumped on the fearmongering train rather than speaking honest instead gave his friend Dodgy David Cameron a hand rather than being honest, which annoyed me because I could never imagine Obama joining up with the EU or something similar because he would want America to be independent.

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
Doing what exactly ?
Performing "Queenly" duties and tapping random kneeling fellers with a sword ?

Well she knows when to keep her mouth shut. Maybe Trump can learn a thing or two.

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Isurrender73

I'm just as free to say and think what I choose as you are.

The Queen is a constitutional monarch and has little, if any, direct control or power.
I'm sure Prime Ministers and other politicians consider her private opinion on certain matters but I re-iterate she has no direct power - we fought a Civil War over this matter, well before 'The Founding Fathers'.

If you think your government and society is any more 'transparent and free' than ours then you're either incredibly naïve or to coin an unfortunate phrase you've drank too much of the kool aid.

I don't really care what both Trump and Lizzy think; the British people have voted for Brexit and the major parties and the establishment are doing everything possible to delay and derail this process.
As a result we are in an incredibly weak negotiating position.

When Trump was elected he said he was going to stop the US interfering in other countries affairs and put America first.
Since his election he has felt obliged to comment on anything and everything.
I personally have no problem with this.....but I do resent his attitude when other people / nations have the temerity to comment on America and American issues.....but then again he does seem representative of a certain type of Americans!

edit on 16/7/18 by Freeborn because: clarity

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 08:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: bastion

originally posted by: Annee
Trump = Newbie (besides I don't believe anything he says)

Queen = A Lifetime of experience & protocol (why would I believe she revealed anything to Trump?)

Trump is a business person.

Queen = A Lifetime of experience & protocol

Doing what exactly ?
Performing "Queenly" duties and tapping random kneeling fellers with a sword ?

60+ years as the worlds longest head of state and diplomat holding fortnightly meetings with the PM and touring almost every country in the world repeatedly on visits. Given she's apolitical and how seriously she has taken her role, she's the most experienced on the planet.

She's not going to destroy the entire credibility, unique role and power a Head of State who remains independent of politics to reveal her views. He insulted her enough by shaking her hand, stepping infront of the Queen, blocking her view, walking in between the Queen and her guards preventing the displaying of the longest serving Queen's Guard regiment -

Now he's down to lying and making slurs against her, this just highlights his complete ignorance to who the Queen is and what she does.

You did know this was the 21st Century , right ?
Step up into it and embrace it...

We have toilets in the UK older than your country. Those toilets probably have more culture and history in them than the USA.

Britain was around long before the USA existed and will likely be around in some form long after the USA has collapsed in on itself with its ridiculous left/right politics.

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 08:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar
I always had the the impression that the EU was patterned on the US but modeled on the Soviet Union.

To be part of a cooperative, members have to relinquish some power to the governing body. But the governing body should really only set the general guidelines, boundaries and handle arbitration. Which is the Federalist approach. The Anti-Federalists, centralize and consolidate power to the governing body to control the members.

Which club/governing body of any quality needs to control its

membership? IF what they offered was so good members wouldn't

want to be leaving, The EU is desperate for the UK not to leave because there

are others waiting on the sidelines to do the same!

As for Brexit, the people were given an open vote. Why anyone is surprised people voted for freedom is beyond me. The feet dragging is simply people resisting giving up power and reluctance to accept more responsibilities, which is no surprise either.

Just goes to show how out of touch with the people they represent

the politicians are.

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: DieGloke

Britain was around long before the USA existed and will likely be around in some form long after the USA has collapsed in on itself with its ridiculous left/right politics.

Yes indeed and a large majority of the original immigrants came from the UK

Isn't Donald's heritage in Scotland UK

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Whereismypassword
a reply to: Irishhaf

Trump dodged the draft, the royal family send family members into conflict zones like the falklands and Afghanistan

He’s a classless oath in a cheap suit

Yup, when the Queen was a teenager she stayed in London during the Blitz to show unity with the country and deliver radio adresses to the Empire, mainly aimed at children who were facing attacks or moved far away from home to safety.

Hitler called her and her mother the most feared women in Europe. After her Palace was bombed, she remained there merely quipped "It makes me feel I can look the East End in the face".

Can't imagine any modern politician doing that apart from Kennedy.

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

How would we know what is a lie or who said it? If he says something that the queen didn't want known, she would deny that she said that, then it's he-said-she-said.

Unless we have recordings of the conversations, if there is a claim of lying, you will just have to use your subjective determination as to who is telling the truth.

We already see Annee's opinion before there is even a claim, and I can make a pretty safe presumption that I know which side of the ocean you would defend, too.

There's always the other option--quit caring about bickering between someone with actual power (Trump) and someone who is, for all intents and purposes, a hood ornament for her nation. In the end, it won't matter.

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 09:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey
Unless we have recordings of the conversations, if there is a claim of lying, you will just have to use your subjective determination as to who is telling the truth.

That's Trump's way. He says something and let's others use their subjective reasoning. Usually get the results he wants. Quite frankly if the queen said she didn't say something I'd believe her.

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Yup, when the Queen was a teenager she stayed in London during the Blitz to show unity with the country and deliver radio adresses to the Empire, mainly aimed at children who were facing attacks or moved far away from home to safety.

Hitler called her and her mother the most feared women in Europe. After her Palace was bombed, she remained there merely quipped "It makes me feel I can look the East End in the face".

Can't imagine any modern politician doing that apart from Kennedy.

I did not know that. If true that's some of that famous Brit stiff upper lip.

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 10:36 AM
link   

We're far better off having a Head of State who acts as a symbol of unity and consistency across the Commonwealth and doesn't lower themselves to politics - just look what happened to the States.

I know that many around the world say that every other country uses the US as the butt of jokes, but you have to understand that the same can be said about a country willing to fork over so many taxpayer dollars to maintain and "head of state" whose roll in government is fantastically overshadowed by the cost of keeping her there.

£40 million from the British government went to her just last year--that's taxpayer dollars. She has enjoyed a 36% raise (increase in taxpayer income) over five years.

You'll have to excuse us Americans, who pay our head of state an actual political leader of our country $400,000 (plus $168,000 in travel and other accounts), who find your retention of the royal family a little antiquated and unnecessarily expensive.

Telegraph

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

I wouldn't believe either one.

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

We're far better off having a Head of State who acts as a symbol of unity and consistency across the Commonwealth and doesn't lower themselves to politics - just look what happened to the States.

I know that many around the world say that every other country uses the US as the butt of jokes, but you have to understand that the same can be said about a country willing to fork over so many taxpayer dollars to maintain and "head of state" whose roll in government is fantastically overshadowed by the cost of keeping her there.

£40 million from the British government went to her just last year--that's taxpayer dollars. She has enjoyed a 36% raise (increase in taxpayer income) over five years.

You'll have to excuse us Americans, who pay our head of state an actual political leader of our country $400,000 (plus $168,000 in travel and other accounts), who find your retention of the royal family a little antiquated and unnecessarily expensive.

Telegraph

Exactly. That extra dough could buy a few more cruise missiles.

edit on 16-7-2018 by intrepid because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: bastion
a reply to: Whereismypassword

I am well aware of what she did in WW2, believe it or not some of us Yanks do know how to pick up more than just the history book our school gave us.

But they were both born into a life of wealth and privilege, Silly decided to take a shot at trump because he got his money from dad, Well guess what the Queens money was not earned by her either so the comment I was replying to involved that.

If you want to compare life experiences between the two knock yourself out, but don't feed me a line about one person getting money from dad is bad... but another person getting money from dad is ok.

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

As a Brit I agree completely!

My Grandfather (and great grandfather) would be rolling in their graves...

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join