It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Slovakia to buy 14 Block 70 F-16's

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Well it seems LM's F-16 fortunes haven't quite run out yet. In a decision I must say I'm surprised at the Slovakian Government has chosen 14 F-16 Block 70's over a rival bid by SAAB for Gripen E's. The F-16 in Block 70 form is a formidable aircraft but I'm somewhat puzzled by the Slovakian claim that it was cheaper to purchase and operate than Gripens. SAAB have been admittedly a bit cagey on the Gripen E regarding costs but I find it very difficult to believe that the economics of the Block 70 Viper are so superior to an aircraft that was specifically designed to be cheap and simple to operate. The Gripen was carefully designed to be easy to service and requires minimal support and the F-414 engine will burn significantly less fuel than either a late model F-100 or F-110. I'm smelling a bit of a sales ruse here, either a bit of persuasion was put on the Slovakian or they realize they need to make a statement by buying US. FG Article
edit on 15-7-2018 by thebozeian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 07:15 AM
link   
I wish Saab won. Both to sustain Swedish industry, and as an aviation fan more diversity is always good. It would be interesting to see cost data of the Saab versus the F-16.

I don't think the fuel usage between them would be significantly different. Both aircraft weigh about the same (F-16 slightly more and is probably slightly more draggy) and use engines of the same generation. The F110 is higher bypass however.

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Romania got some old F-16s not sure what block? 20? They lost a Mig-21 last week... (My parents are Romanian) Going over late this year and hoping to get some photos of the Mig-21s (They upgraded them with glass cockpits lol)

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 02:21 AM
link   

edit on 16-7-2018 by Kkintekk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 02:57 AM
link   
a reply to: thebozeian

There are some numbers being thrown on the internet.

The estimated total cost is supposed to be $2.91 billion.

Slovakian prime minister said his government will pay 1.589 billion euros ($1.86 billion).

They've got a pretty sweet deal, if those statements are true, probably actually cheaper than the Gripens.

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: moebius

They've got a pretty sweet deal, if those statements are true, probably actually cheaper than the Gripens.
Really, cheaper? based upon what? Sorry I'm not buying it. I'm convinced that the Gripen would have been cheaper and that this was decided not by fiscal considerations but politics.

edit on 16-7-2018 by thebozeian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Political pressure from the US could easily turn the JAS-39 deal away from purchasing table!

In Norway we had the same drama to choose between F-35 or JAS-39 back in 2008.

From WIKI…. en.wikipedia.org...

In December 2010 leaked United States diplomatic cables revealed that the United States deliberately delayed Sweden's request for access to a US AESA radar until after Norway's selection. The cables also indicated that Norwegian consideration of the Gripen "was just a show" and that Norway had decided to purchase the F-35 due to "high-level political pressure" from the US.

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 10:27 AM
link   

The F-16 offer is 35% below the estimated price. What would be the reason for such a discount if not to compete over price.

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: E92M3

They're going through a SLEP that will upgrade avionics and extend their life before being delivered.

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: moebius

The F-16 offer is 35% below the estimated price. What would be the reason for such a discount if not to compete over price.

Manufacturers do all sorts of creative accounting to keep a line open. Gives them a few more years to drum up more customers who would never get access to the F-35, but might prefer Lockheed's logistical support on a well-established product. Marketing guys will come up with all sorts of pie in the sky numbers for operations costs, but I'd bet the block 70 numbers are pretty grounded. You're less likely to come up with a surprise later when you've got that much operational data available.

And when it comes to "politcal pressure", MAP money can be a game -changer, too. It's quite a chip on the table if Uncle Sam offers to help fund your purchase of their product, while LockMart accepts a low-cost bid to further extend a line on its last legs. I don't know thar any MAP offer was made in this case, but might be a factor.

Love the Gripen, but depending on how the final numbers really shake out, this could have been a no-brainer.

new topics

top topics

join