It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Did Republicans Go Wrong

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 12:08 PM
link   
listening to Mark Levin's voice makes my ears cry.

Ben Shapiro has a similar effect.

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Though I think Shapiro is a tool. I don’t think ANYONE has a more cringe worthy voice than levin..

How he got famous for talking I have no idea..

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

The flip in the late 1960’s is so hard for people to understand.. well or people are too easily propagandized.. .. just one look at an electoral map of the country before and after the 1967 civil rights act spells it out..

All those southern pro-segregation states were democrats until 1967...

It shouldn’t be..

Rightwing = traditions > change..

Pro segregationists refused to change in favor of traditions..

That makes them the right wing..

The left= change> traditions.

The intergrationists wanted to drop the traditions of the past in favor of change..

That by definition makes them the left..
edit on 16-7-2018 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

I’m here for the same reason as everyone else..

To share ideas and discuss them..

I do have a particular loathing for rightwing propaganda..

Maybe because I’m in/from Mississippi and I am just saturated with it..

Well that and it is obviously scripted for stupid people..

Your post is a perfect example..

One anecdotal account does not mean that is the national average.. lol

That is a logical fallacy that has been o the list of logical fallacies since Athens..

And what rightwing talking point is not backed up by the individual random accounts of nobodies???

edit on 16-7-2018 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

And you respond with a straw man argument. Perfect.

I never said my account represented the national average. You made that claim then attacked me for it. You are the one that said it (white teachers replaced with black teachers) didn't happen. I know for a fact it did.

And you talk of logical fallacy. I don't think those words mean what you think they mean...

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Another thing that gets lost in these discussions these days is that historically, the big divide among the people was between the north and the south and not even political parties. There were both liberal and conservative Democrats and Republicans back then; the difference is that politics were defined regionally instead of by political party. The dynamics were similar though. The north was more liberal and the south was more conservative.

In fact, to ACTUALLY answer the question the OP lays out in his thread title, where the Republicans went wrong is probably right around where that big switch happened. From there it was just a steady stream of becoming more and more conservative and pushing out any and all liberalism. The more conservative the Republican party became after the switch, the less tolerant they were of outside ideas. And its that extreme closed mindedness that is making the party horrible.
edit on 17-7-2018 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 08:22 AM
link   

It started with Goldwater. "Extremism is justified." It ramped up with Reagan's embrace of religious conservatism, and has crescendoed with their support of a corrupt traitor simply because he pays lip service to their party.

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

A) what is a straw man???

B) then how is your account relevant??

If your experience, assuming it is even the truth, is a random isolated incident. Then how is it relevant?

C) I know exactly what they mean.. not by heart or anything lol..

But I definitely remember a chunk of them by heart..

When you pretend a random incident is a fair representation of whatever large goup of people..

It is a logical fallacy..

Every single time right wing media says “these 12 college kids said something stupid. Isn’t the left crazy!?!”

That’s a logical fallacy.. because those random 12 college kids do not get to speak for “the left”..

When they point to Ana sarkavian (I forget her name because she is a nobody) and say “look how crazy this feminist is.. thus all feminists are crazy”..

That is a logical fallacy.

Sarkavian doesn’t speak for all feminists..

When they say the KKK and Antifa are the same .. that is s logical fallacy..

Guns don’t kill people, peoplekill people..

Logical fallacy..

“White Christian males are the most discriminated against group because of X random incident “..

Logical fallacy..

None of this stuff is hard..

ANY debate , public speaking, logic o philosophy class would teach you as much.

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Or did it start when the GOP sold out to the big corporations/robber barons???

At some point the Dems backed unions and the GOP backed the buisness owners/CEOs/board of directors/robber barons..

I’m pretty cynical so my guess is that the gop won the race to support the robber barons. That only left the unions for the Dems..

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 04:54 PM
link   

/sigh

Last time I am going to try to get this through to you...

A straw man argument is the perfect example of one of those logical fallacies you keep talking about but don't seem to understand. You appear to be refuting my argument but in reality you are refuting something you attributed to me but actually came from you. Case in point: you said teachers were allowed to keep their jobs and the law did not demand they be replaced by black teachers and that it did not happen. I informed you that it in fact did happen. First you dismissed an eye witness account, admissible in any court in the country as evidence, then you claimed that my "one incident" is isolated and is not representative of the national average - whatever that is.

I never claimed my experience was representative of whatever national average you are talking about. I simply made the statement that it happened and you were wrong to say it didn't. Ever since then you have been babbling about logical fallacies, obviously a new word for you, and completely fail to recognize one right in front of you - committed by you!

In fact, it is a logical fallacy to assume that since you only heard one eyewitness account of the event that it did not happen anywhere else. THAT is a logical fallacy. If it can happen once, it can happen again. My experience was not isolated to me. It happened to everyone in my class, and the seven other classes held in that room that day. And regardless of how many times you continue to use words and phrases you do not understand, it makes no sense to assume my experience was unique but rather your denial is necessary because real life does not fit your bs narrative.

You further commit straw man tactics by asserting my "anecdotal story" "assuming it is even the truth" is not relevant. What kind of twisted bs is that? How many eyewitness accounts do you need before the information suddenly becomes relevant?

You make unsupported claims. Demand citation from anyone who doubts you. Cry logical fallacy where there is none, then commit logical fallacy yourself. And end with a stunning rendition of, "The Straw Man Cometh".

I will agree with you on one thing and one only: it is obvious that the truth is not relevant....to you.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join