It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House: We Can Keep You At Gitmo "For 100 Years" With No Trial

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Terrific. Held without trial 1000's of miles from home and the Administration thinks it's perfectly fine and legal.

Another source:

Twenty-six prisoners at Guantánamo remain detained without charge or trial, including the eight men represented in court Wednesday, who have been at Guantánamo between 10 and 16 years. Two of them have been cleared for release by a government review panel. Lawyers from the Center for Constitutional Rights, along with other attorneys, are challenging the prisoners’ detention both as a violation of due process and also under the laws of war as dictated by the authorization for the use of military force, or AUMF

The government countered that as long as operations continue against Al Qaeda and the Taliban in Afghanistan, the original theater of the war on terror, the authority underpinning the AUMF still holds. When Judge Thomas Hogan asked if, in the government’s view, the war could last 100 years, Justice Department attorney Ronald Wiltsie said, “Yes, we could hold them for 100 years if the conflict lasts 100 years.”

Can we just come to a consensus that Gitmo is a massive stain on the country and the constitution? This is down right disgusting. The place was a stain under Bush, it was a stain under Obama, and now it's a stain under Trump and this administration makes no bones about preserving Gitmo at its core function. Imagine that? Being held, jailed, without trial? Without a proper defense? for the rest of your life.

+14 more 
posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 01:14 AM
link   
could you remind me who took it upon him self to shut down this place and was one of his promises to the people in his campaign

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 01:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

They must be getting worried to pull out this card at this point.

They set up GITMO and now with a veritable flood of Karma, they will get to see it from the inside ... for a very long time.

Karma is beautiful.

P

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 01:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Dr UAE

could you remind me who took it upon him self to shut down this place and was one of his promises to the people in his campaign

Where in the OP did I claim he promised to close it? Just because Trump campaigned to load the place up with 'bad guys' (I recall him specifically saying this) doesn't make it right or justifiable. It's apparent you have no issue with people being held there without trial or hearing indefinately. It's A-Ok!

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 01:21 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

They set up GITMO and now with a veritable flood of Karma

Had you actually done your research you would know that GITMO military detention centre was set up by the Bush Administration with the full approval of congress in 2002? You also understand this administration, Trump's administration, pledges to continue it as with the Obama administration?

At what point do you stop trying to pass fault off somewhere else?
edit on 15-7-2018 by Southern Guardian because: link

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 01:28 AM
link   

He just said "They set it up." The Bushes, Clintons, Congress. I think he is referring to the one's that actually started this. He is not passing fault. He is putting it where it belongs. Into the hands of the people who are responsible for it. Now that Trump is President they don't seem to like the idea much. I find Karma to be funny sometimes.

+2 more 
posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Actually the Guantanamo Bay (GITMO) prison isn't the only place. Terrorists can be held 100 years anywhere America chooses to, and is allowed to.

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 01:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian
a reply to: pheonix358

They set up GITMO and now with a veritable flood of Karma

Had you actually done your research you would know that GITMO military detention centre was set up by the Bush Administration with the full approval of congress in 2002? You also understand this administration, Trump's administration, pledges to continue it as with the Obama administration?

I am not talking about your silly red vs blue, D vs R crap.

The deep state set up GITMO and now they all get to use it.

Karma is wonderful.

P

ETA Thank you highvein!
edit on 15/7/2018 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 01:32 AM
link   
a reply to: highvein

You mean Trump? Who ran under the GOP flag and who has the backing of the GOP congress?

He's passing blame. Trump is president now, the GOP have control of congress, they have the power to close the detention centre. They choose not to. This is a fact. We can argue all day that previous administrations and both parties have responsibility but that doesn't change that very fact.

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 01:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dr UAE

hey, didn't that very same person win a Nobel Peace Prize, for closing down Gitmo and all the other stuff he did after he got the award? (which he never did).

even the holding of people without charges, for an unlimited time has been going on for many years, including under the last President for 8 years. if it was fine and legal under him, why is it not fine and legal now? and if it was not fine and legal, why did he not shut it down? or at the very least fix those parts which were not fine and legal.

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Hey, I keep telling you!

It is Karma

Compliments of the Karma Fairy.

P

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 01:48 AM
link   

You mean Trump? Who ran under the GOP flag and who has the backing of the GOP congress?

Yeah. Don't you wish Obama would have closed it now, when he had Congress? That should tell you something.

He's passing blame.

How? Trump is not responsible for starting it? He just likes the idea of it, so he continues it.

Trump is president now, the GOP have control of congress, they have the power to close the detention centre. They choose not to.

So you saying that the republicans that came up with the vote to start it, still support it? Yeah, I am pretty sure they would. Does this surprise you?

This is a fact. We can argue all day that previous administrations and both parties have responsibility but that doesn't change that very fact.

And? Believe it or not some voting citizings think it is a good idea? Gasp!

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Its always important to consider your words when voicing an opinion....its all about location location location.

+1 more 
posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 01:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian

Can we just come to a consensus that Gitmo is a massive stain on the country and the constitution? This is down right disgusting. The place was a stain under Bush, it was a stain under Obama, and now it's a stain under Trump and this administration makes no bones about preserving Gitmo at its core function. Imagine that? Being held, jailed, without trial? Without a proper defense? for the rest of your life.

They are enemy combatants. You probably don't understand that word.

It means they were trying to kill us.

They were captured and instead of just popping a round in their skull, we are keeping them around for possible intel.

Welcome to life on planet Earth, sweetheart.

ETA, it would have sounded better if at the end of your rant you screamed "For the CHILDREN!!!"

It always makes a liberal whine complete, the "we care about something today that we didn't give a rat's ass about when we controlled EVERYTHING and could have changed it but didn't because we don't actually care" part.
edit on 15-7-2018 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 01:56 AM
link   
a reply to: highvein

Yeah. Don't you wish Obama would have closed it now, when he had Congress? That should tell you something.

I wished it was closed under Obama, I wished it was closed under Bush, yet it remains. I never gave a pass to any of those administrations and just because they continued it doesn't justify it's use to this day.

Are you fine with holding people in detention, in holding, without trial or defense for the rest of their lives?

How? Trump is not responsible for starting it?

Where the OP was the any debate on who started it? This administration makes no qualms in continuing GITMO and holding people there indefinitely and without proper trial and hearing. This is a fact.

If I use another person's gun to murder somebody after that person used a gun to murder another person, am I innocent? Or do I lay complete blame on the other person that gave me the gun?

To Whataboutism!
edit on 15-7-2018 by Southern Guardian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Kudos mate, we disagree on almost everything, but you are right it was a stain from the start and neither party wants to close it.
It never should have been, but much like a bad law the fed doesn't like letting go of power.

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 02:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

They are enemy combatants.

Oh really? Which courts ruled that they were guilty of the charges laid upon them? Is this not the point of the OP?

Most Guantanamo detainees are innocent: ex-Bush official

There's something called innocent until proven guilty sweetheart. I'm sure you've heard of it.

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 02:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Glad we're on the same level Irish. I make no qualms about the fact both parties and both administration's continued GITMO. Something needs to be done, it needs to be shut down. Holding these guys without a fair hearing or a trial? This isn't what America is about..... It's a little shocking that many ATSers here are just prepared to accept it for what it is... imagine you were put in their shoes and you were innocent?? I can't fathom....

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Where the OP was the any debate on who started it?

No where. You responded to another poster about passing blame and I responded to that post. Why? What do you believe happened during this conversation? I didn't respond to you OP. That makes it relevant to our conversation, or are you being disingenuous?

This administration makes no qualms in continuing GITMO and holding people there indefinitely and without proper trial and hearing.

I explained that already. Your saying GITMO is a stain on the U.S. It is also a necessity. What do you think you have to do to get put in GITMO for 100 years? Jay walk?

If I use another person's gun to murder somebody after that person used a gun to murder another person, am I innocent? Or do I lay complete blame on the other person that gave me the gun?

lol. Apples and Oranges.

To Whataboutism!

lol. I don't think you are unbiased enough to get the irony.

To TDS!
edit on 15-7-2018 by highvein because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 02:08 AM
link   
What about the rule of law? I mean you yanks are always quoting that `` we live under the rule of law `` Yes a law for you lot and another one for every one else. The nazi`s would be proud of you lot, prescott bush must be grinning from ear to ear in hell. Him and Ford , who helped Hitler invade France by supplying him with the engines he needed. The 911 thing was done by Saudis so how many Saudis are in Gitmo? The American dream? more like a night mare now.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join