It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Google subsidising my airfare and hotel?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Opened Google Chrome to book a round trip flight on Delta from DSM to LGA on Expedia. Found a decent flight and wanted to send the link for someone to review before I book so I tested the URL in EDGE to be sure it wasn't cached content. Cost of my trip jumped from 1593.58 to 1636.43. Did the same thing with another flight, same results. Pasted the link in Chrome on another computer and got the lower price.

Is Google subsidising my airfare in order to observe my habits?

Anyone else notice this?

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Yes I've noticed that .... My friends and I were just talking about this . We each researched flights for different reasons . Then waited for our husbands to choose which flights we agreed on .... The price went up within the hour of those flights . Went to a different computer and the flight cost was back down to original price . ... Also , some of the flight time options on first computer were no longer available .... But they were on the second computer ??

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I don't know if it's google specifically but I know most travel booking sites use all sorts of data to give you a price. Everything from what kind of device you're on to what operating system and browser you run. Or even apparently after multiple searches for the same flight. One thing to try would be maybe clearing your cookies and cache before trying the search again and seeing what the results are.

www.cnet.com...

time.com...

www.quora.com...

edit on 15/7/2018 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

edit on 15/7/2018 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

I think it's this. They have an algorithm that thinks two people are competing for the same flight or something. Maybe raising it to compel you to buy now, or it will keep rising.

top topics

join