It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

These gd ants never just go away

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 04:14 PM
link   
So as many of you may know I recently had an issue with red ants in my backyard. I tried everything from tilling to pesticides, and even building a Dakota fire to smoke them out. What worked in the end was dish soap oddly. I had to muddy the ground and harden it after to find the entrances and then poured soap in them.

So it’s been a few weeks and all seemed well. At least now my dog can chill and me not be worried. So I noticed my neighbor edging the little patch he has. My home is exactly the same and I have neglected my patch for about 3 weeks. So I got off my butt and went to town. I got the a section near my gait that leads to my backyard and BAM. Those little mother truckers have dug in just outside my gate.

I am so pissed right now I went to grab a six pack and now I am using my tablet in my garage just staring at these little bastards. At first it was only a battle but now it is WAR. I am done with these little # heads and the gloves are coming off! Pardon my French but these little Fing bastards and going to Fing die. I refuse to allow these # heads to stay around my property. I don’t know what I am going to do but for now I will enjoy my 5 remaining beers and think.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou
It requires a multi prong approach to truly get rid of them. They annoy me too.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Nuke them from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
It requires a multi prong approach to truly get rid of them. They annoy me too.

At this point I am taking any and all suggestions. Please help me. I pick and choose my hobbies as months come and go. Right now my hobby is to kill these ants.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Nuke them from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure.

I would do that but my gate is in very close proximity to my home. I am going to have to toss that one out the windows. Or at the very least put a pin in it.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Have you tried food grade diatomaceous earth? Pour it into their tunnels and all over where they are, they will walk through it and it will cut them, killing them. It's an option. It's a very fine powder, so might want to cover your mouth and nose. You don't want it in your lungs.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: C84K2

I was told about this option but I didn’t try it. I think I have some that I use to keep silverfish away. I will definitely use some. But I need more. I am going full manhattan project now. Minus the orbital strike but it is my back pocket.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Lol. Get those mofos! Best of luck to you.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 05:10 PM
link   

When I lived in Oklahoma in an A-frame on lake Oologah, I had carpenter bees, tarantulas, scorpions, centipedes and the occasional donkey in my yard.
The icy storm that hit Claremore took my electric out for over 2 weeks.
I say, move

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 05:14 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 05:25 PM
link   

ANT STATIONS

www.amazon.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 05:54 PM
link   
How far are you willing to go?

Try molten aluminum.

edit on 14-7-2018 by abe froman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 06:07 PM
link   

did you try all of the suggestions from the previous thread you created in May?

diatomaceous earth is the only solution that is safe and effective, based on my experience www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Fire ants are a constant hazard in my area. We use a two-pronged approach that seems to work.

First, squeeze Dawn dish liquid over the mound and following with a couple of kettles of boiling water. Second, follow with sprinkling what’s left of the mound and surrounding area with used coffee grounds and orange peels.

Best of luck with your battle.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 07:22 PM
link   

I spray deet to keep the horde of Argentine Ants out of my structure. The bastards would break in scandalously the first year, try to move into the big bag of cat food. I'd have to put it in ziplocks and freeze them to even salvage it. Before the deet (as ant traps or rather nothing at Home Debit would work... diatomaceous earth + boric acid barricades at their paths inside werent workering.... they got into the remnants bag from a fried chicken dinner. For a week I left it there and kept the vacuum next to it. Every half hour or so I'd suck them up, a thousand or more. I did it constantly for about a week and they never seemed to slow. Finally I threw it in the fire. Then I figured out the deet. Had hardly any around last year (sucking them up apparently did take it toll on their ultra super mega jumbo colony (Planet Earth). This year they're all over out there en masse again waiting to pounce on every dish of catfood I put out there, and several times now I've caught them trying to get set up inside but the deet keeps pushing them out real quick.

Its time I finally do the 'cook sugar + boric acid' trick and feed them a huge bowl of the snip.

Suggest you figure out the name of the ones plaguing you and figure out the remedy trick people have managed.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: seattlerat

Ya I tried all the suggestions. One that really seemed to work was using cinnamon. Buy the dog kept going after. I finished up putting down the thing you just mentioned. I only had a little bit left but it is down. I let my neighbor k ow it was out because they have a little dog that loves to come say hi. I didn't want him breathing it.

Fun fact about this stuff that I didn't know is. It is common for people to eat it!

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: maria_stardust

You can always do the 'molten aluminum trick':

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 07:32 PM
link   

I'm told from a friend who's a Terminix tech, that ants hate cinnamon. If that helps. Probably more for indoor purposes but you never know. Good luck either way.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Fire ants are difficult, because they build their nests in such a way that the eggs and reproductives are safely tucked away, such as this:

The only TRULY effective way of dealing with them that I've found -- other than a massive excavation/bug spray event -- is to use baits. There are granular baits specifically designed for fire ants. See the danger is that the baits will kill the ants too quickly and thus they will abandon the bait. That's often why gels don't work, because they are too strong. The granular baits take longer to kill the nest, but are more effective, imho.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 07:59 PM
link   

You will never get rid of them without destroying your yard.

Because even if you did get them off your patch your neighbors would have to do the same or they will eventually come back.

Better to learn to live with them somehow OR get some other insect or animal or plant that will kill/eat/run them off.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join