It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pence family’s failed gas stations cost taxpayers $20M+

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 01:05 PM
link   
This is a semi-long exposé done by Associated Press. It came out yesterday morning and has been copied in full by many news agencies since, but I have yet to see anything about it on ATS. Associated Press did a lot of research, has contacted many officials for comments, reviewed thousands of pages of documents, etc.

The article goes into serious corruption in the Pence family home state Indiana, legal battles against the Pence family business and the State eventually dropping all charges after Greg Pence was appointed to the agency investigating his own family and his own business. In the end, the bankrupted family business ends up costing the taxpayers many millions of dollars for cleanup and there are still serious dangers of all the chemicals left behind by the failed businesses. Some of the chemicals have been found to be leaking towards the only potable water reservoir in the area.

Very good read, and this will be in the news for a while, so I suggest reading the whole thing and learning the facts. I'm only going to quote the beginning few paragraphs, although there is much more damning information and data below.

GARDEN CITY, Ind. (AP) — Vice President Mike Pence turns nostalgic when he talks about growing up in small-town Columbus, Indiana, where his father helped build a Midwestern empire of more than 200 gas stations that provided an upbringing on the “front row of the American dream.”

The collapse of Kiel Bros. Oil Co. in 2004 was widely publicized. Less known is that the state of Indiana — and, to a smaller extent, Kentucky and Illinois — are still on the hook for millions of dollars to clean up more than 85 contaminated sites across the three states, including underground tanks that leaked toxic chemicals into soil, streams and wells.

Indiana alone has spent at least $21 million on the cleanup thus far, or an average of about $500,000 per site, according to an analysis of records by The Associated Press. And the work is nowhere near complete.

The federal government, meanwhile, plans to clean up a plume of cancer-causing solvent discovered beneath a former Kiel Bros. station that threatens drinking water near the Pence family’s hometown.

To assess the pollution costs, the AP reviewed thousands of pages of court documents, tax statements, business filings and federal financial disclosures, as well as federal and state environmental records for Indiana, Kentucky and Illinois. The total financial impact isn’t clear because Indiana officials have yet to release cost figures for 12 contaminated areas. Other records are incomplete, redacted or missing.

Associated Press

We all know journalists live for exposés, so we can expect this just to be the beginning. Having pages missing or redacted, some departments not wanting to provide information requested and so on, will only push journalists to dig deeper. It's a start.

Thank you for reading and commenting.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 01:35 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.chicagotribune.com...

From a thread on externalities.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Anyone who thinks this Administration is any different than past ones on the corruption front are living a pipe dream. You don't become president unless you go by "their" rules and play "their" game.

No major arrests or charges in nearly two years in office. Nothing has changed, only the actors on stage are different.
edit on 7/14/2018 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Kharron

Doesn't surprise me. Pence IMO is what you guys deserve if you and the Deep State manage to get rid of Trump. I just want to know who BS'd Trump to select him as his VP!

Perhaps Trump did it for those who support the Rhino's but perhaps also Trump was BS'd by the same people who BS'd him into picking Sessions.

This ain't no ordinary shallow swamp, but an extraordinary DEEP SWAMP!

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Perhaps Trump did it for those who support the Rhino's but perhaps also Trump was BS'd by the same people who BS'd him into picking Sessions.

Anything to not admit Trump is one of them, right? If everyone around him is part of the "swamp", people he hand-picked, that doesn't say anything about Trump himself? Take your blinders off, stop letting the media manipulate your ability to reason.
edit on 7/14/2018 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 01:46 PM
link   
When we look at how many sites are "contaminated" by today's EPA standards it would be an astounding number. There is a paper mill a town over from where I live and though they will shut down production in the near future they will never "shut down" due to the cleanup cost. We are talking in a time people dumped their used oil in the sewers as example. I

(post by Oldtimer2 removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd
www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.chicagotribune.com...

From a thread on externalities.

Right on, missed your post!

I was hoping someone would get to posting it yesterday, I had less free time so I left the article tab pinned. This level of corruption deserves its own thread.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

Doesn't surprise me. Pence IMO is what you guys deserve if you and the Deep State manage to get rid of Trump. I just want to know who BS'd Trump to select him as his VP!

This ain't no ordinary shallow swamp, but an extraordinary DEEP SWAMP!

How is defrauding people of Indiana to pay for Pence business cleanup costs any different than defrauding Americans in Trump Universities or Airlines or any other scams he was engaged in and people ended up paying for? I don't see any difference.

They probably found each other on a Facebook Group for like minded fraudsters.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero
When we look at how many sites are "contaminated" by today's EPA standards it would be an astounding number. There is a paper mill a town over from where I live and though they will shut down production in the near future they will never "shut down" due to the cleanup cost. We are talking in a time people dumped their used oil in the sewers as example. I

That's terrible, hope you guys get that cleaned up fast.

I also hope the owner of the mill didn't run for office and pretended to be a good guy. Gal?

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 02:06 PM
link   

was Mike Pence involved in this?

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

was Mike Pence involved in this?

It would seem so, but we'll have to see just how much.

He was the Governor when all the shady cleanups were happening, he increased the limit of how much the State can help in cleanup costs per year, benefiting his family. I believe he or his admin appointed his brother Greg, who was the president of the company, to the office which was investigating his own company. It was Mike's dad's company and his first job at age 14. He lost $600,000 in value when the company went bankrupt so he was at least part owner.

All of those things would indicate he was involved and had knowledge of what was going on.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 02:16 PM
link   

damn, we should have elected Hillary.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Not at all, two sides of the same coin. We just should not follow these two schmucks blindly, or believe anything they say.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kharron

Not at all, two sides of the same coin. We just should not follow these two schmucks blindly, or believe anything they say.

If you believe anything they say, you are already a lost cause. But you have to watch what they do.
Pence looking out for his brother, is it wrong? yes, would you do the same? Maybe.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Every gas station pays into a fund to take care of contamination under any situation. They do here, that cost is spread out amongst the gas customers buy. The cleanup is being funded by that organization, the fact that the legal costs bankrupted the company and were found later to not be right means that the state is on the hook for these charges.

I am thinking these charges may never have been right, someone was trying to get back at that business, probably someone who would gain by them being shut down.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kharron

If you believe anything they say, you are already a lost cause. But you have to watch what they do.
Pence looking out for his brother, is it wrong? yes, would you do the same? Maybe.

Maybe someone would, but I have had an opportunity to hire my brother and help him out and play favorites and I didn't. I gave him my own money privately, because I don't want anyone to be able to say things about me like we now can about Pence and his family.

And he wasn't just helping his brother, he was helping himself. It's his family, his company, his brother was the President, Mike was part owner and the one who can pull the strings in the government to create more profit or savings. Now that the taxpayers are paying for the cleanups after the Pences took their profit and ran, Greg is now running for Mike's old representative seat in the Congress.

Wonderful for the people of Indiana who are drinking their dirty water, paying for their cleanups -- hopefully this exposé will put a stop to those plans for office and wake some people up.
edit on 14-7-2018 by Kharron because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 02:45 PM
link   

So what do we do?

Impeach Pence?

Seriously. What to do?

Because if this is the standard we're going to set, then god-dammit, it WILL be set across the board.

Relatives, siblings, spouses of politicians doing wrong?

Then get rid of them all.

But no exceptions. No partisan weasel-sh#t.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

So what do we do?

Impeach Pence?

Seriously. What to do?

Because if this is the standard we're going to set, then god-dammit, it WILL be set across the board.

Relatives, siblings, spouses of politicians doing wrong?

Then get rid of them all.

But no exceptions. No partisan weasel-sh#t.

Step one:
Come to an understanding, between all of us, that all of them are the same and none are on our side. Stop believing their bull#, and stop arguing with and fighting each other while their show goes on. They are all bought and paid for, they are all crooks and liars, and none of them work for us or to the benefit of our beloved country, regardless of their flowery words.

Without this first step, discussing anything past that is futile, because we will always be divided. And we'll never get anything done while we're divided.
edit on 14-7-2018 by Kharron because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I do not know about the Pence family involvement here, but I do now a bit about the situation of contamination of old underground gas tanks. Way back when the expansion of gas stations was taking place the technology of tanks was fairly primitive an NO ONE KNEW they were placing potentially hazardous tanks in the ground or that they had the potential to leak. It was only after the invention of the EPA that there was any scrutiny of this situation at all, and, of course, it took awhile for those tanks to get old enough to cause a problem. It was only when these tanks began to be decommissioned that the problem was found. Predictably the EPA went bat-poop crazy over this and enacted incredibly onerous laws aimed at the owners and their subsequent liability.

How onerous? Enough to bankrupt families. There was an old Shell station near me that was on an awkward corner in town. The business had been in the family for years and the present owner was a school teacher. The Shell station was his second income, but it was doing so poorly that he decided to dump it. Turns out this was a leaking tank and he had to "make restitution" by getting rid of the pollution and replacing the contaminated soil with clean dirt. Now how does one do that? According to the EPA regulations he had to have each six-inches of depth of the excavated contaminated dirt tested by a certified lab at $600 a pop. So do some math here. The hole itself was about 40 feet deep because he had to excavate well beneath the bottom of the tank. That's $50,000 just for testing dirty dirt that was leaving. Add up all the EPA regulations and it would have cost him a cool quarter of a million to satisfy all the EPA requirements. And he was a school teacher making about $25K at the time.

Now a common sense approach to this would have been to dig out the bad dirt, fill it half way with good dirt, put a cap on it, and fill it the rest of the way with more good dirt, plant some flowers, and call it a day. Anyone who actually believes that people subsequently walking on that ground would get cancer and die has poop for brains. Naturally the owner could not afford the approved EPA method, so he abandoned the property. Today it is a small city park and few people even remember what used to be there.

In this case the AP is claiming that Pence's family "cost the taxpayers $20+ million dollars." No, they did not. the EPA cost the taxpayers this amount of money because of their onerous regulations. They are unreasonable, bureaucratic, and stifle people in the name of the environment, pure and simple. But, as usual, if the MSM can manage to smear someone they fear, they'll do it in a heartbeat and all the SJWs in the country will march along in lockstep so they can feel justified in their pathetic lives.
edit on 7/14/2018 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join