It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Illegals, Identity Theft and the IRS

page: 1

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 08:17 PM
link   
When someone steals your identity, wouldn't you want to know ?

Given the risk of destroying your identity and credit rating, if the IRS is aware that your Social Security number is being used illegally, should you be notified ?

Rep. Buddy Carter seeks new legislation to do exactly that:

www.breitbart.com... -numbers/
edit on 13-7-2018 by M5xaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 09:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: M5xaz

Given the risk of destroying your identity and credit rating, if the IRS is aware that your Social Security number is being used illegally, should you be notified ?

That sounds like some common sense legislation to me. I hope they help to apprehend the culprit as well.

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 09:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: M5xaz

Maybe they like the double dipping of the taxes they could possibly receive?

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Just another swamp creature grandstanding for his base without a frigging clue and no working idea how to accomplish the things he’s blathering about.

You will note that nowhere in the referenced article does the fool provide ANY hint, not to mention factual details, about the IRS is supposed to put his “plan” in to effect.

Because, like most people seeking to “fix” the IRS, he likely doesn’t have the slightest idea of how the IRS in general, and it’s operational systems specifically, work.

The only information reported to the IRS by employers about their employees is name, wage, address, and SSN, as reported by the employee to the employer.

Verification and administration of SSN’s are the duties of the Social Security Administration, not the IRS.

You expect this wonk would know that.

But then, he’s a Republican, so knowledge and facts are unnecessary.

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 11:23 PM
link   
a reply to: M5xaz

The Feds had better input the SSN of dead people into their database too. Quite a few illegals use Social Security Numbers of people who are no longer with us, for a number of things and benefits.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 12:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Bhadhidar

Why couldn't the IRS (with their database of all returns) flag a SSN that has filed multiple returns ?
Seems to me as they should already be doing that...
Or , do you just hate Republicans so much you just had to type something ?

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 01:04 AM
link   
I worked for a Mexican national and I know for a FACT he used the #SSN of his American employees to pay illegal aliens.

Investigate this.

It's massive tax and immigration fraud.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 01:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

1.) Multiple returns may appear under a single SSN due to a legal change of name. Consider the situation of a woman changing her last name as the result of marriage, but, files her return as “married, filing separate. Two subsequent returns with the same SSN but “different” names. ID theft, nope.

2.) Multiple returns may be be filed under the same SSN due an input error: you, or your preparer types your SSN incorrectly when preparing your return. The resulting SSN matches some else’s name. Are you committing ID theft?

How would the IRS know? Why should the IRS believe you?

You realize that many people, perhaps a majority, don’t know their own SSN’s by memory?

And of those that do know their SSN, few ever actually verify that their preparer has accurately entered that number on the return before it’s sent.

I know this for a fact, having spent more than 20 years in the tax industry.

And again, why do you think the IRS, already under-funded to the point that it is virtually incapable of auditing even the barest minimum of returns, should be responsible for verifying information it does not generate?

It is the SSA that is, and should be held responsible for the veracity of the identification documents it administers.

So why isn’t this fool addressing the SSA?

Maybe because his agenda is focused on denigrating the IRS, and that agenda is more important to him and his like-minded cretins than providing a workable solution?

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 03:46 AM
link   

They don't have to investigate squat, it can be set up inside the system to flag the SSN and then send an a form letter type email stating the persons social security number showed up under different names.
Then if there is a govt agency that can help include the number.

Also, if returns have different names and different addresses that is also probably a pretty good indication of something that should be looked at.

Personally I don't care if the Uncle sugar gets every penny they are supposed to, but it sure would be nice to know something is wrong on my end before bill collectors come knocking.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Actually, that is already done by the IRS and state revenue agencies.

It is not effective at reducing, not to mention stopping ID theft, primarily for the second reason I noted above: You can’t prevent human error. Even when notified that there is a problem with their return concerning the SSN, there is nothing to stop them from forgetting to correct the error, forgetting to mention the error to their preparer, or having someone else making an error on their return that shows up on the first taxpayer’s return.

And you would not believe how many times I’ve had to deal with taxpayers who were cussing angry because of a letter they received asking them to verify their identity due to some discrepancy on their return.

Taxpayer: Why the # did I get this letter? I have a very professional CPA file my return.

Me: What is your SSN?

Taxpayer: Let me find my card. (Doesn’t know number by heart)

Me: Please read your SSN to me, but read it backwards.

Taxpayer: Backwards?

Me: Yes (People who have memorized their SSN will often not “read” their number off a document, but will “recite” the number from memory, which may not be the number written).

Taxpayer: (reads number)

Me: That is not the number on your return (two numbers have been transposed, maybe one number has been entered twice, or one number has been entered incorrectly: a handwritten “1” mis-entered as a “7”, say).

The IRS is not a data-generating agency, it is a data collection and processing agency. It is not responsible for the veracity of the information taxpayers and employers provide, just the processing of that information in compliance with the existent tax laws.

That’s why, just above where you sign your return, there is an “affirmation statement” by which you affirm that by signing your return, you are swearing, under penalty of perjury, that ALL the information on your return is both true AND correct to the best of YOUR knowledge (not your preparer’s!).

And, of course all of this is moot if the person filling the return IS committing fraud: they simply don’t respond to the official inquiry.

And NONE of this has anything to do with undocumented aliens using “stolen” SSN’s to commit ID theft, as the aforementioned douche bag implies.

Undocumented filers will use “fake” SSN’s to work under, so that they CAN work and have their wages and withholding reported properly by their employers, under their actual names.

That’s Not ID theft to try to steal a legitimate citizen’s assets/credit/identity: these folks are actually trying to PAY the taxes they owe (if any) despite the roadblocks the system has set before them.

The type of ID theft the jerk here refers to occurs when, as happened two years ago, hackers (in this case, From You Know Where) crack the security of a major data bank (in this instance, it was Intuit, which provided the tax preparation software for a majority of the independent tax preparers in the US) and gain access to, not only taxpayer SSN’s , but ALL the information on their returns, right down to the IRS-issued “PTIN” identifying their preparer as a legitimate preparer.

You don’t see Representative Doofus addressing THIS issue, now do you?
edit on 14-7-2018 by Bhadhidar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: M5xaz

What do you want to wager that the only thing keeping Social Security afloat is the illegals stealing identities and basically increasing what's going into the system.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Congratulations...

You win, I am not going to wade through wall of text that has nothing to do with what I stated, to try and guess at what you were getting to and then attempt to reply.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf

Congratulations...

You win, I am not going to wade through wall of text that has nothing to do with what I stated, to try and guess at what you were getting to and then attempt to reply.

Then I’ll give it to you in a nutshell:

The IRS, and state tax agencies already contact taxpayers whose returns show discrepancies which, among other things, might be indications of multiple people using the same SSN.

These contacts piss people off because, government.

These measures do nothing to stop, or even slow, the true perpetrators of ID theft, who have far more sophisticated methods of acquisition than buying a dead person’s SSN: they steal the information from the companies that provide the software legitimate preparers use to gather your information.

Undocumented workers are trying to pay, not steal, otherwise they would not be filing returns under their own names, they would be using the name of the rightful owner of the SSN they’re using (assuming that name was known).

But that’s not the truth the right seems to want to believe.

new topics

top topics

join