It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ezekiel;- Know that I am the Lord (Index Thread)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Eight years ago, when I was in the middle of the Revelation series, came the first suggestion that I should turn my attention to Ezekiel..
But the message was “Why Revelation? Why not look at Ezekiel instead?”, so I ignored the distraction. Was this the Muslim without a sense of irony, who quoted some text from the Koran about not adding to the scriptures? It might have been.
At the time, I felt no calling towards any thread-writing beyond the Revelation project.
Now that I’ve covered so many different aspects of the Bible in the interval, Ezekiel was becoming one of the obvious gaps, and I thought I might be able to tackle it after all.

Observations on a couple of “alternative” interpretations.
The notorious Von Daniken approach to the first chapter only seems plausible when the passage is isolated and taken out of context.
A full survey of Ezekiel, taking in and understanding the purpose of Ezekiel, is enough to make him redundant.
That is one of the advantages of making a full survey.

Next year, I’m contemplating a few threads on prophecy relating to what might be called the “final peace”, the state of God’s people after his enemies have been destroyed.
The Temple vision at the end of Ezekiel, following the Gog-of-Magog war, belongs to this class of prophecy.
But many people are convinced that the Bible predicts the building of a third physical temple before the return of Christ, and may be inclined to cite Ezekiel’s vision as part of the evidence.
For that reason, I had half a mind to postpone looking at the Temple vision until it could be studied among the other “final peace” prophecies.
This wasn’t really a good idea, though, because it would have made the current survey incomplete.
Also it would have messed up the Index thread.
So those chapters have been included amongst the rest.

The Index itself will need to go on a separate page, because it won’t fit otherwise (I test these things).

edit on 13-7-2018 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Ch1 Seeing visions of God

Ezekiel is one of the first batch of exiles taken away from Jerusalem, before the final siege.
His experience in this chapter is that he encounters a representation of the Creator God, who is also, in particular, the God of Israel. The appearance of God is represented in symbols. “No man has seen God”, in the real sense, but on occasions like this men encounter an image of God accommodating itself to human understanding.

Chs2&3 Receiving his mission

God met with Ezekiel in order to give him a mission, that he should present God’s message to his fellow-exiles. On returning to his people, Ezekiel finds himself psychologically paralysed and unable to proceed. So God seems to have decided to make use of that, keeping him at home so that people would be obliged to seek him out, and making him act out parts of the message in silence.

Ch4 Acting out the siege

Ezekiel’s main function is to warn the people about God’s intentions towards Jerusalem.
So he begins by silently acting out a siege being conducted against a city.

Chs5-7 Proclaiming judgement

He must also explain why God will be doing these things.
The essential problem is that the people no longer know their God and are not submitting to his will.
So the ultimate purpose of the judgement is that “you shall know that I am the Lord”.
This becomes the running theme of the rest of the book.

Chs8-11 Visiting Jerusalem

Ezekiel is taken in vision back to Jerusalem, to witness the various forms of idolatry which fill the city, and to see God leaving the city to its fate.

Ch12 Acting out the exile

In a sequel to the drama about the siege, Ezekiel acts out the way the people of Jerusalem will escape from the city and go into exile.

Ch13 Denouncing the deceivers

As part of this prophecy of judgement, Ezekiel must condemn the false prophets who encourage complacency by promising that nothing bad will happen.

Chs14&15 Answering the idolaters

The elders have taken to visiting Ezekiel to find out what God has to say. Since they are secretly divided in their loyalties, God refuses to talk to them, except in the sense that he will answer them through the judgement itself.

Ch16 Throwing out the harlot

A bitter allegory comparing the disloyalty of Jerusalem to the conduct of a shamelessly adulterous woman. Not suitable to be read aloud in churches.

Ch17 The eagles and the vine

An allegory condemning the oath-breaking disloyalty of Zedekiah, the current king of Judah, and the leader or figurehead of the rebellion against Babylon.

Ch18 The righteous live and the unrighteous die

A careful explanation of the way that God’s judgement is designed to save the righteous and condemn the unrighteous.
It is meant to be a template for the future relationship between God and his people.

Ch19 Farewell to the kings

A lament about the failings of the last few kings in Jerusalem. Josiah, God’s champion, was the last one who was any good, and he was killed at Megiddo. (God finally gets his revenge at Armageddon)

Ch20 The long story of Israel’s idolatry

Showing how their idolatry goes right back to the time in Egypt.

Ch21 The dance of the sword

Current affairs are catching up with prophecy. The king of Babylon is on his way to Jerusalem, to carry out God’s judgement.

Ch22 Judging the bloody city

Begins the final explanations of the coming judgement.
Jerusalem has become “a city of blood”. The land is not cleansed.

Ch23 Oholah and Oholibah

A bitter allegory comparing the disloyalty of the two kingdoms to the conduct of shamelessly adulterous women. Not suitable to be read aloud in churches.

Ch24 The beginning of the end

Ezekiel is warned that the siege of Jerusalem has begun.
The exiles need to be prepared for the loss which they are going to experience.
So Ezekiel is obliged to give them an example; his wife is taken away from him and he is not allowed to mourn, just as they will be too stunned to mourn.

Chs25-32 Prophecies against the nations

The time when Israel is about to face judgement is also the time to redress the balance by expressing God’s judgement on the enemies of Israel.
Much of the prophecy is directed against Edom and Tyre, who will be merciless in exploiting the catastrophe.
Finally, seven different words of the Lord are addressed to Egypt, which helped to cause the catastrophe.
These nations too must come to know that he is the Lord.

Ch33 The blow falls

A brief announcement that the city of Jerusalem has fallen. So that’s the end of that matter. Time to move on. Ezekiel has already explained the procedures of warning and repentance which will govern the future relationship between God and his people.

Ch34 The good shepherd

The people will receive a new leadership. The corrupt old “shepherds” will be deprived of their authority, and God will do the job himself.

Chs35&36 Return to the land

A cleansed people will be coming back to a restored land.

Ch37 The valley of bones

New land and new leadership would be useless without new life.
In this vision, there is the promise that God’s people will become a living community once more.

Chs38&39 Gog of the land of Magog

This is Ezekiel’s contribution to the “last battle” class of prophecy, in which God’s enemies make one final attack on his people and are defeated conclusively.

Chs40-48 The new Temple

This is Ezekiel’s contribution to the “final peace” class of prophecy, describing the condition of God’s people once all the troubles are over.
It is the equivalent of the “new Jerusalem” vision at the end of Revelation.

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

So who are these enemies to be destroyed??

All the unbelievers??

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox
Those who attack him or attack his people (OT version).
Or more generally, everything that is evil in the world, extending as far as sin and death (NT version).

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Speaking of "I am the Lord" has anyone to the best of your knowledge done a thread on the 2 distinct Lord/god in Genesis?
As you can imagine the ATS search function would have difficulty honing in

thanks

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Jesus Christ came for the house of Israel. Not for the Gentiles.

For centuries, you have been decieved.
edit on 13-7-2018 by mekhanics because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: mekhanics
Everything depends on one's definition of "house of Israel".
The issue is not relevant to this thread, so I'm not going to argue it out here.
Try this one; The Cross and the Israel of God

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 10:48 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight
Possibly, but I wouldn't have been paying attention.
Obviously my own interest is in the Biblical God as Creator God.

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 11:00 PM
link   

I have to say, not passages I have studied extensively, and perhaps I should. Will have to bookmark this, and make some notes. The prophetic books are always good for study, though!

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 11:03 PM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes
If you find it helpful, that's what I was aiming at.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 01:29 AM
link   
An interesting thread for sure. I too have been very interested in these things. Have you ever run across the book:

The Nations Shall Know I Am Jehovah - How?

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 01:34 AM
link   
a reply to: redletter
I used to have a little collection of second-hand Jehovah's Witness books, which was useful in showing how teaching changed over the decades. I don't any more.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 01:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
I used to have a little collection of second-hand Jehovah's Witness books, which was useful in showing how teaching changed over the decades. I don't any more.

All the life-saving teachings of the Bible Jehovah's Witnesses have always understood.

There has never been a change of understanding on the oneness of God, being Jehovah. Or his son, the first-born being Jesus.

Or the importance of the ransom. Or that life ceases when we die. And the truth of a future Resurrection. That the Trinity is false, there is no inherent immortality of the soul, there is no hell-fire. Doctrines which all other religions teach in some form or another, in Christendom and without, these false teachings have seeped even into Judaism.

It is true they have had to clarify their understanding of Scripture. And if you look at the understanding of any Jehovah's Witness about the Bible today compared to any other religion in the world, they have the truth. Not only that they practice it.

They have done away with cross worship. Celebrating pagan holidays such as Christmas and Easter. They don't have a clergy. They are united world-wide with one teaching of truth from the Bible.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 01:44 AM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes
I agree.
Though many may not show it DISRAELI, I and others really enjoy reading your insights and studies of the bible. I think of you as somewhat of a biblical scholar even having read some of your posts regarding it. It is interesting that I have actually been telling myself that I need to open the book and become more familiar with Ezekial, and lo and behold you get around to bringing me and other interested parties a good introduction to the book.

Thanks for your continued efforts, they do reach some of us who you would least expect.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 02:07 AM
link   
I answered your question, but I'm not going to get into inter-denominational controversy on an Ezekiel thread.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 02:09 AM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry
Thank you for the encouragement. I really must do an index thread of index threads some time.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Cool stuff, I honestly have no idea what it is about but SnF

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 04:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Egoismyname
Thank you. When you start dipping into the individual threads mentioned, that's when you find out what it's all about. This one is just to help you find your way around them.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: mekhanics

we are the wild branch which has been grafted onto the original root.

For if the firstfruit be holy, the lump is also holy: and if the root be holy, so are the branches.

and if some of the branches be broken off, and thou, being a wild olive tree, wert grafted in among them, and with them partakest of the root and fatness of the olive tree;
Rom 11:17

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: mekhanics

we are the wild branch which has been grafted onto the original root.

For if the firstfruit be holy, the lump is also holy: and if the root be holy, so are the branches.

and if some of the branches be broken off, and thou, being a wild olive tree, wert grafted in among them, and with them partakest of the root and fatness of the olive tree;
Rom 11:17

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join