It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sending a million-dollar missile to shoot down a drone worth a few hundred bucks.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 06:27 AM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

I dont know why a deployable perimeter type Aegis system hasnt been developed. A land based version can be massive and have greater range as well as have a warehouse of ammo attached.

You could put a few on high speed magnetic rails.....

edit on 7 14 2018 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Which is why Israel responds how it does offensively.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

There is a ground based Aegis system, but it's big, and it's expensive, and it uses missiles much larger and more expensive than Patriot. It's designed to cover huge areas, such as Japan, or Western Europe against medium range ballistic missiles.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Some kind of an advanced shotgun seems like it would be more cost effective.

They probably get unlimited Patriot missiles for free from the New England Patriots as part of their new sponsorship program.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

They're only partially fueled though.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 09:17 AM
link   
OP, is confusing worth with value. Common anti-Israel speak.

Contemptuous feelings toward Israel would be better aimed at the owner of the drone.

Israel is fully capable of doing it the hard way. But then we'd hear how,..."Israel invaded blah, blah and blah place. Because they didn't like their picture taken"!

A million dollar missile is "worth" the loss. As opposed to the loss of a "valuable" Israeli infantry company.

I don't see a problem with Israel's ability to burn a million bucks, toasting some heathens paper plane. Having been allowed to fly? That drone my cost Israel more in the long run.
Good job Israel! God bless Israel!

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555

Image Source

I don't know, but it seems to me that military drones are not cheap at all. I just looked at a small one like the police use that's $25,000+. Then you have the costs on the ground.

Dang, 40,000 for that palm held drone?
Someone is getting rich off that.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555
a reply to: Blue Shift

Me also. The company making them likely makes more profit from selling ten of them than I earn in a year. On top of that the infrastructure they have to pay for. Expensive business this war stuff.

They can charge those prices when the tax payer is on the hook.
Open wallets for them.

When I was in the military, it was nothing to buy 100 dollar hammers in order to use up our budget. The crony capitalists bank on that.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: jacobe001

They're a lot more than that. That's what I mean when I say that there's a lot more to cost than they show on that graphic. The Black Hornet is individually hand made, includes three cameras, including long wave infrared and daylight, and can transmit high resolution images up to a mile, while being carried around in your pocket, recharged to 90% and launched in 20-25 minutes, and hover that long. They've sold 3,000, but it won't be placed into large scale deployment with the US, but has been used by US Army Special Forces and Marine units in small numbers.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: murphy22
OP, is confusing worth with value. Common anti-Israel speak.

Contemptuous feelings toward Israel would be better aimed at the owner of the drone.

Israel is fully capable of doing it the hard way. But then we'd hear how,..."Israel invaded blah, blah and blah place. Because they didn't like their picture taken"!

A million dollar missile is "worth" the loss. As opposed to the loss of a "valuable" Israeli infantry company.

I don't see a problem with Israel's ability to burn a million bucks, toasting some heathens paper plane. Having been allowed to fly? That drone my cost Israel more in the long run.
Good job Israel! God bless Israel!

Well, of course Israel is capable of doing it the hard way, but why should they?

Here is Jerusalem Post and Times of Israel covering our $705 million donation to the Israeli missile defense system this year. It is a part of the most recent $6.5 billion package of military aid to Israel.

Why would they do it the hard way? They're free missiles to them; our taxpayers already paid for it all.
edit on 14-7-2018 by Kharron because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 12:29 PM
link   

FIRE THE LASER!

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: AndyFromMichigan
I've been following the civil war in Syria since the beginning. Twice in the last few days, Israel has used Patriot missiles to shoot down drones that wandered across the border into the Golan Heights.

That got me thinking about the economics of that.

Use them as long as they are still around. At least the older PAC-2s will be replaced by Magic Wand in the coming years. They used fighter jets to shoot down drones but switched to using Patriots a couple of years ago.
edit on 14-7-2018 by mightmight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Swatting flies with a sledgehammer.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

If they were quadcopters, you'd be right. But contrary to the OP, they're not. They're a legitimate threat, regardless of who is operating them, and who they're operating against. This is a normal response to such a threat.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 06:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

You're talking about quadcopters if you're talking a few hundred dollars. These are military UAVs they're shooting at, not your average off the shelf drone you can buy at a hobby store.

Drones are not cheap, our 50 pounds ones are $500k and 150 pounds 1.5 mil.

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

www.airoboticsdrones.com...

Someone from facebook has it´s fingers in it, too. I wonder if knowledge from that israelian face recognition expert company that fb bought 6-8 years ago went into parts of the software.

(btw, AI found this for me by selecting parts of your post, just think about it
)
edit on 15-7-2018 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

Hahahaha, great work...that’s all I am at liberty to say for the time being.
And as you know in my post, I did state that the drone ran the culprits faces through the database.
Again, great work

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 10:35 PM
link   
a reply to: murphy22

Oh, whens the last time Israel lost an infantry company?

Anyway it's ok..not their $$

<< 1  2   >>

join