It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Volunteer "Minutemen" to Stop Illegal Immigration on Arizona / Mexico Border

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 05:24 AM
link   
U.S. border officials have a new problem to deal with. A group of 500 volunteers calling themselves "The Minutemen" are organizing to try to stop illegal immigration coming from Mexico through Arizona. They are referring to themselves as civilian border patrol agents. More than half of the illegal aliens caught crossing into the U.S. come through Arizona according to U.S. Border Patrol statistics.

story.news.yahoo.com
WASHINGTON - Intent on securing the vulnerable Arizona border from illegal immigrant crossings, U.S. officials are bracing for what they call a potential new threat this spring: the Minutemen. Nearly 500 volunteers have already joined the Minuteman Project, anointing themselves civilian border patrol agents determined to stop the immigration flow that routinely, and easily, seeps past federal authorities.

They plan to patrol a 40-mile stretch of the southeast Arizona border throughout April when the tide of immigrants crossing the U.S.-Mexico border peaks.

"I felt the only way to get something done was to do it yourself," said Jim Gilchrist, a retired accountant and decorated Vietnam War veteran who is helping recruit Minutemen across the country.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Its an interesting concept, but I have to side with the Border Patrol on this one. Its a tough job and some of these groups are going to be armed. What happens if they shoot somebody by mistake or worse, some guy decides to start killing the illegals? IT way too much risk. What we need are tighter welfare laws that simply do not hand out money to everybody that arrives here. But couple this with increased legal immigration for jobs that lets be honest Americans do not want. This way they have some wage protection, pay taxes, and are registered.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Just observing from a distance, it appears that our government has forgotten that they work for us and not us for them. People living there have an issue, but with typical government dash and aplomb, instead of working to fix the problem, they are determned to make everyone else conform to their preconceived notions of a solution.

People don't want to, generally, join Minuteman groups and self patrol for their own security. That's what we pay the wages of the local, state, and federal policing agencies for. However, if the government and the "policing" arm don't want to or unable to deal with the issue, then it becomes "up to the people" to deal with it.

It's tough to really make a "judgement" call on the actions of the people who live there if we do not. They must be feeling threatened to do those sorts of actions.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 06:35 AM
link   
This group was interviewed last week on local Radio in Dallas.

They do not plan to confront the invaders themselves but will monitor and alert the government types. The border patrol doesn't want civilians involved for a simple reason. The border patrol might be revealed as not doing their job.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Someone has to it and the government is apparently ignoring the issue. Isn’t this one of the reasons for the Second Amendment?
I have read about soldiers returning from Military duties, only to find they have no work or jobs that they had when they left. Why not hire these men and women to work boarder patrols training if any would be a snap.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 07:14 AM
link   
It would appear Dr Horacid has friends.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 07:29 AM
link   
This story seems to surface every week or so now.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Perhap's the reason something was not already done to secure the southern border had to do with Mexican immigrant votes. Enough votes to decide an election being the two parties are so close in electoral numbers?
Dallas

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 07:56 AM
link   
They've actually caused a number of problems (for everyone) along the border. Vigilante groups might SEEM like a great idea "when government doesn't step in" but the sad fact is that they quickly turn from being "law enforcers" to "unpaid bullies" and will harrass anyone that they THINK looks wrong.

Including American Indians who have been here a lot longer than they have.

Perhaps if this bunch would pay their taxes, we might actually have the money to do something.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 08:08 AM
link   
way to go for the minutemen
of course the govt doesn't want other bullies running around...no bully likes to have anther bully on the block.

with the govts lack of curbing illegal immmigration coming in from mexico, it makes me wonder if there is a larger picture that the govt is trying to paint?? of course there is.........................................

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 10:02 AM
link   
It sames to me our voting power could have solved this problem. Taking matters into our own hands just shows the lack repect for the government and law and order. A poor choices on are part doesn't give anyone the right to make policies on there own. If people aren't willing to make the system work, its on them. Change can happen. Most things worth having are easy to come by. Taking up arms and wasiting your time driving around threating others or take up a pen and drive around informing other of the problem and who they can vote for to fix them? Umm

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Wanna bet the Mexican government will issue an update to their pamphlet on how to cross the border?

I can see it now, "do not cross during the month of April"

Personally I like the concept, but do not like the fact that they will be carrying guns, however they should have the right to protect themself if fired upon by coyotes.

IBM

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Oh boy, where can I join, I have a stinger missile launcher ready to fend off any illegals.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 11:44 AM
link   
What we need now is an opposing civilian group. Ones that will help these people in their efforts to cross into the US and try to improve their lives.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xibalba
What we need now is an opposing civilian group. Ones that will help these people in their efforts to cross into the US and try to improve their lives.

There are two of them:

1. The Mexican Government
2. The American Government

I do not advocate the kind of violence that I am relatively sure will erupt on the border between coyotes and minutemen. Problem is that there is no fix in place because of the politicians and baby-kissers.

I do not advocate denying a better life to anyone, but there are right ways and wrong ways to do it. And no... I don't know all the answers, nor do I intend to sit here and defend a position. One of the major issues is one that the people need to resolve. Not the government. Our governments appear to be becoming larger, more grandiose, more burdgeoning, certainly more top heavy, and more inept by the moment. When people who are governed sense what is really happening, they react the way that they are, in fact, reacting, self-government. The people need to resolve the government issue, get it back to dealing with people issues and not self-survival, then we can deal with hungry coyotes in a meaningful and positive way.

top topics

join