It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US waste problems

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 03:19 PM
link   
www.nydailynews.com...#

A heat and power plant in Vasteras, a city northwest of Stockholm, is converting its traditional coal-fired system in an effort to become fossil fuel-free by 2020, Bloomberg reported. To do so, the plant is now burning garbage, recycled wood and clothes that H&M can't sell.

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I was thinking about the dross resulting from melting the aluminium, but although it is not used in aluminium production it has other uses, so aluminium is also 100% reusable.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Truly, one of the expansive industries in this century. As we learn how to more efficiently extract re-usable materials from our refuse and isolate dangerous materials that cannot be processed... The need to master this will be critical to our survival.

Perhaps, when we are able to launch vehicles off this Earth with new and cheaper technologies (Anti Grav?), we can take the most dangerous of materials, compact them and launch them into the Sun.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 06:44 AM
link   
a reply to: mikkelno

I would argue the problem is with consumerism, with greed and with an economic model based on constant growth. So many disposable products that are used once then thrown away. It’s short sighted and unsustainable, but the majority don’t care or think it’s someone else’s problem. I feel sorry for future generations that will be forced to deal with the these issues one way or another.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 06:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: lordcomac
I love it when unsustainable practices come to a grinding halt.
I suspect we'll see many more problems like this over the next ten years, as one practice after another reaches its breaking point!

Just look at the garbage problem in India.
They're just ignoring it... as if it'll get better.

To think, there are still people who believe the human race isn't over populated...

We aren't over populated.... it is just there are too many people

Had you stopped there you'd have been correct and would have made a run at Yogi Berra.

The world is bottom heavy. We need a world war or global pox, which we're long overdue for anyway.

Only because we are too lazy and too greedy to live in a way that doesn't produce so much waste and pollution.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: surfer_soul

Completely agree with you. Plannef obsolesence and wasteful tendencies will bring about the end of the world as we know it unless things are changed.
My grandmother still own a functioning sewing machine from the early 50's while my mother has purchased her second as the first one broke down. The second machine is 5 years old but already showing signs of rust and plastics breaking.
Imagine if all machines and gagdets where build gp last. Sure the immediate price would be greater but the long term price would be smaller. We could reduce waste a lot by simply forgoing the consumerist idea of planned obsolesence

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

Today's landfill is tomorrow's mine.

Trouble is, that stuff leaching into the ground.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: mikkelno

Planned obsolescence is one thing but the problems much bigger than that, people’s attitudes need to change completely. I’ve picked up practically brand new and perfectly working things from the the tip before, efforts to counter the wanton waste such as freecycle get ruined by people being time wasters and inconsiderate of others.

I can’t understand why most society’s are so obsessively materialistic, this idea of who dies with the most and best toys wins is absurd to me. On top of that some people would rather wreck something that let someone else have it, it’s nuts.

I guess the history of the human race wiped out most of the decent and empathic people from the gene pool, either that or the sociopaths have us all trying to emulate them somehow?

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
You already solved your own fake problem. Open more landfills. We have plenty of uninhabited areas in the U.S. and much of it is desert and not otherwise useable for anything.

Some people like to make up problems because they can’t stand being happy. Be glad all you have are first world issue like this and not real problems.

Toronto Canada sends like 100 garbage trucks daily to the border and crosses the US boarder and dump Toronto's trash in the metro Detroit area. Daily...they were paying a lot of $$$.

Landfills are in Sumpter, Salem Township, Gibralter.

Thanks Canada
edit on 14-7-2018 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join