It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Songs that made you stop and listen.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 10:18 AM
link   
On occasion I've heard songs that made me stop what I was doing and totally concentrate on the tune. The first time I heard Welcome to the Jungle I had to pull over. It blew me away. Green Day's Basket Case also grasped my full attention. I heard Highly Suspect last year and had the same experience...

To a lesser degree, driving again, seems that's where I listen to music most, Gretta van Fleet...

I wondered if Page/Plant had released new music.

The first two have been time tested, maybe these two will as well. Do you have songs that just made you listen?

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Highly Suspect..... really Bad Azz...!

Wow.... both
edit on 12-7-2018 by Plotus because: I am not dead

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I'm not adept at putting music videos up on here. My kids turned me onto Greta Van Fleet a few months ago. Myself, I've been on a Western music arch for about three years.....Started with a Canadian named Corb Lund...Corb Lund & The Hurtin Albertins…..which lead me to Hayes Carll outta Texas....which lead me to The Turnpike Trubadours…..Red dirt music at it's finest. There's a song that I heard by them that simply made me stop, sit down, pour a new cup of coffee and listen.

It could have been about my youth. Great song, great songwriters. If you could throw this song up I'd love it. Shreveport.....By The Turnpike Troubadours. Awesome song. I plan on this being the song I'm buried or memorialized to.... with my last words being read aloud, "that if your feet aint tapping and your fingers aint snapping after listening to this song, well you all are deader than me.
edit on 12-7-2018 by openyourmind1262 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: openyourmind1262

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Haven't really been a hiphop/rap listener since back in the Beastie Boys/Run DMC/Public Enemy days. I just kinda heard this song by accident and it got my attention.

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 12:06 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Mind blown from this one

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 02:23 PM
link   

The first one that popped into my mind was Stan by Eminem. It was only just airing on the radio and I was fitting these louvred doors on the roof of a sports centre in a #hole town near Manchester.

The melody of Dido's chorus was catchy as hell and Eminem's lyrics were quality. It was November 2000 and a year before 9/11. Life was simpler then. One of my best mates lost his brother that month and we got very drunk in Sefton Park, Liverpool. The song's bundled up in a lot of sweet and sour memories.

I was fitting the doors and the boss started speaking to me as the song was playing so I ignored him to listen to the lyrics. He wasn't happy lol.

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 02:43 PM
link   

October 4th at The Ritz in Raleigh North Carolina....8pm...…..You can bet your asre I and the Mrs will be there....Thanks

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Well, here's a couple that gave me pause for thought. Relax, enjoy music.

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 06:45 AM
link   
This is the last song I heard in a department store that made me want to go home and look up the video on YouTube. The video is totally cute and clever.
Sal

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 09:06 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 09:13 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 05:43 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 06:16 PM
link   

This song actually instructs you to stop and listen within the first 30 seconds.

Years go I said to myself "Self, someday you'll have an excuse to place a horrifically bad music video in an Intrepid thread. The fact that this opportunity arose and brought with it the added bonus of that song being a blatant affront to the far superior Queen/Bowie "Under Pressure" masterpiece (which I know you enjoy listening to) is just a little extra something-something on this opportunity I find myself enjoying right now.

Now, getting serious.

Les Claypool is, in general, a brilliant and very underappreciated lyricist. This song may be one of his most accurate assessments.

No surprise here, Neil Peart is amazing and his influence is heavy on this song's lyrics.

Finally, (and I won't link this one, but it's easily found on youtube) Five Finger Death Punch "Jekyl and Hyde" is a song I instantly relate to and always makes me stop for the song to appreciate what it's saying.

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 06:18 PM
link   

We were playing a gig and our support band opened with a faithful rendition of this.Yeah , I stopped and listened.

Kashmir speaks for itself.

How would this not grab your attention first time you hear it.

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
How would this not grab your attention first time you hear it.

LOL, The title track made me buy the CD, Cemetary Gates made the CD one of my all time favorites. The first minute and a half is standard, ho hum 80's ballad with a touch of extra gain and distortion pedal work, then Dimebag opens up hell on Earth with the single greatest metal riff of my teenage years.

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 07:30 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 07:27 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I forgot Smells like Teen Spirit. That got my attention immediately as well.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Pretty much anything by Leonard Cohen. I love listening to his lyrics and analyzing them... wondering what he was thinking about or where he was going with the song/words... etc.(I love reading his poety as well.) As you can see, music is my life...

top topics

join