It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Papa John's founder John Schnatter resigns

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

I think you're looking too far into it.

This guy is a former CEO. CEOs are notorious for letting their large personalities sometimes get too large to contain.

He didn't lose the NFL contract, he didn't renew it. He said something along the lines of viewership was dropping not making it worth the investment. Instead he was going to look at individual teams.

As for how this recent event unfolded, the marketing company terminated the contract with Papa John's. I'm not sure who leaked jt but Schnatter confirmed and apologized for his remarks. As such a large share holder it's probably a smart move he clears the air on the accusations and apologize.... The company is big enough to weather through this, especially if they're distancing themselves from him.

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 08:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

originally posted by: introvert

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes

That's a stupid reason to resign. Good business, and good product. People need to stop demanding no one offends them.

Agreed. Especially given the context of the conversation.

I can agree with that. Context is key in any situation.

In this situation, the context most important to the shareholders and the company as a whole is that Schattner has become a liability. Though this isn't the first time he has left. He may come back to head the company once this has blown over.

He's left the company before?

www.usatoday.com...

Yes. He has left his role as CEO twice because of his comments on politicized topics.

He's made some comments about Obamacare, NFL protests and other things that did not sit well with the public. In fact, I believe StormFront has called his pizza the official pizza of white supremacists, or something along those lines and it has not helped the brand image. All because of comments he has made that were found attractive to those types of people.
edit on 12-7-2018 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Now I do not know the contents of this mans heart. No one does. The only ones who know are Papa John Schnatter and God, if you believe in a higher power. But man was this a dumb move on his part. The whole thing was supposed to be an exercise on how to handle the press. It was roleplay on ways to prevent public relation mishaps.

So Papa John thinks the best way to do this is to say well....Colonel Sanders said a particular word.....and no one said anything to him. Then he goes into a story about how where he grew up in Indiana, people used to drag black people with trucks until they died. Which is left out of the Fox article but is in the Forbes article where this all started.

Who in their right mind thinks that is a good defense to deflect from the way less controversial things he said about the NFL. I mean, I guess saying something more controversial takes heat off of the less controversial thing. But then just creates bigger problems. It is just weird overall.
edit on 12-7-2018 by karmicecstasy because: Papa Johns was running a two for one plus free sodie pop

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Heard a rumour that they are picking up Maxine Waters for new CEO.

Hahahaha

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 12:50 PM
link   
The only way to save the company is to appoint a black trans person who identifies as a pizza box to appease other people with the IQ of a pizza box.
PC will be the end of all of us
Sticks and stones people...sticks and stones.

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Sad day when simply stating historical facts forces a man to resign from his own company.

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I've never cared for their pizza, but damn do they have some good advertising. Even though I know I don't like it, once or twice a year I wind up ordering it because their commercials are so good.

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
Sad day when simply stating historical facts forces a man to resign from his own company.

Unless you're a token liberal, then you can say that word all you want.

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Freedom of speech but not from the consequences of it, amirite? That's how people view anyone else digging themselves a hole when they disagree with the public view lately. Democratic store owner not wanting to serve a right-leaning one & vice versa? Freedom to do so, sure, but not permitted the bubble wrap necessary to avoid the consequences of it.

Same idea. Shnatter learned it firsthand.

Ultimately, I really don't care, we don't buy chain pizza anyway. We frequent a long-established locally owned pizza joint. We have an understanding between us & the owner -- politics makes food taste bad and theirs is too awesome to sully, so we keep our opinions private on both sides from the business end. It works well, he's earned himself a nice occasional catering gig for my husband's company, too (and therefore new customers on their days off)
Those are the folks that should be supported, the local little guys that keep a town a home, not the big corporations that steamroll in & put them out of business & then mouth off.

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: face23785

The problem here is he was using it in a historical context, stating a true fact that a historical figure used the word, not slinging it around himself.

Jesus Christ to many Americans are thin skinned, reactionary morons anymore.

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 05:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: face23785

The problem here is he was using it in a historical context, stating a true fact that a historical figure used the word, not slinging it around himself.

Jesus Christ to many Americans are thin skinned, reactionary morons anymore.

At least he didn't say niggardly.

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 10:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes

That's a stupid reason to resign. Good business, and good product. People need to stop demanding no one offends them.

Agreed. Especially given the context of the conversation.

Some people, I think, just want to feel offended.

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

www.forbes.com...

Shares of Papa John’s soared 11% on Thursday after founder John Schnatter resigned as chairman of the board late the day before. The increase added $50 million to Schnatter’s net worth. He owns roughly 30% of Papa John’s stock and is worth an estimated $720 million overall. Earlier this week, Forbes revealed that Schnatter used the N-word and made other offensive comments on a call with a marketing firm in May. The call was intended to be a role-playing exercise in an effort to help Schnatter avoid future public-relations controversies. It ultimately generated the opposite effect.

he made 50 million the day he resigned as his stock went back up 11 percent annnnd hes back on the board lol so hes back to the job he stepped down from during the first scandal . should we start calling him the tefflon pizza don?

www.thestreet.com...

Despite his resignation as chairman of Papa John's International Inc. (PZZA - Get Report) , founder John Schnatter will remain on the company's board, according to a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission. "Mr. Schnatter will remain on the Board," the filing said. Schnatter owns 29% of Papa John's shares, according to Bloomberg data. When considering why Schnatter was not removed from the board entirely, it's important to remember that shareholders pick directors, and shareholders have the power to remove directors, Professor Charles Elson, the director of the Center for Corporate Governance at the University of Delaware, told TheStreet in a phone interview. Notably, Schnatter is Papa John's largest shareholder with a 29.4% stake, according to FactSet. Schnatter stepped down as chairman on Wednesday, July 11, after he allegedly used a racial slur on a conference call. Schnatter compared his comment to Colonel Sanders using the n-word and he complained that Colonel Sanders never faced backlash, Forbes reported. "Directors can't remove directors," Elson said. "[Schnatter] didn't break the law; what he did was a bad thing -- you're talking about rude and distasteful conduct, but nothing against the law."
so i think he may have even made money with this whole hubbub

top topics

<< 1   >>

join