It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Manafort loses bid to stay in 'VIP' jail, could face evidence from 1980s

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 08:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Also on Wednesday, Mueller’s office filed a motion in the Washington case notifying the court of its intent to present evidence at trial about a Justice Department inspection into Manafort’s lobbying activities in the 1980’s.

That's way past the statue of limitations.

If you can link those actions to an ongoing conspiracy / ongoing crime then the statute of limitations start with the last illegal act. Financial crimes are goofy with statute of limitations.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 08:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Depending on what Strzok says in his televised testimony tomorrow, Mueller's investigation may be severely damaged. This from one Congressman who participated in the closed-session Strzok testimony.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kharron
Ok, it sort of makes sense but it could be nothing.

Judge Ellis challenged Mueller's authority on May 4th.
Mueller accused Manafort of witness tampering on June 4th.
Manafort went to jail on the 15th.
June 26th, judge Ellis upheld Mueller's authority.
Today, calls Manafort a "traitor", pretty much.

It would seem witness tampering changed things a bit for Manafort, but it could be a number of other things, just trying to make sense of it.

Now wait and see if Manafort is going to be charged with witness tampering.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Excellent post! Thanks for bringing us up-to-date.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 08:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

Depending on what Strzok says in his televised testimony tomorrow, Mueller's investigation may be severely damaged. This from one Congressman who participated in the closed-session Strzok testimony.

It is already damaged. In my opinion its damaged to the point of it not only needing to be completely shut down but investigated for law violations / civil rights violations.

During the closed door meeting with Strzok he didnt answer the questions like he claimed he would. The FBI assigned a lawyer to Strzok so they could prevent hm from speaking on certain topics.

I think this si exactly why Strzok has not been terminated yet. As an FBI employee the agency can assign lawyers to him to control his testimony.

Given Lisa Page stated she wont comply with a congressional subpoena only adds to the troubles of the SC.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 08:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

It would seem witness tampering changed things a bit for Manafort, but it could be a number of other things, just trying to make sense of it.

Manafort never reached whomever it was he was trying to call. For all we know, he never tried to call anyone.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 08:40 PM
link   

I heard Goodlatte say that Strzok was NOT under oath during the closed-session. But he will be sworn-in and under oath tomorrow. Does that make a difference?

He (Goodlatte) also said that Lisa Page gets "3 chances to bite the apple" before she's arrested on contempt.

1. Today, she didn't bite..even after being subpoenaed by a Federal Marshall.
2. Tomorrow, she can sit at the same table as her sugarplum Strzok, and answer questions.
or
3. She can show up and give a sworn deposition to (?somebody?) on Friday.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Thank you for that explanation. And I'm glad you explained selective prosecution. I was going to ask that too and forgot to put it in.

I still have one question. If they have evidence on him, but don't want to charge him and give him all that evidence during discovery -- what is the point of it? IF he should win the case, he cannot be tried for it again. Why not go at him with all they've got?

Or are they being cocky and thinking they can get him with less than what they have?

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 08:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

Manafort never reached whomever it was he was trying to call. For all we know, he never tried to call anyone.

For all we know, he tried to call everyone AND get a pizza delivered.

We really don't know anything about this witness tampering, but we will soon. Two weeks until Virginia, two months until D.C.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Manafort's crowd, ran with the Podesta Group.. back in the day, selling USA off to the highest bidder....

My only worry, is that Manafort will be the sacrificial lamb, while the rest fly under the radar....

I want the entire swamp system outed, prosecuted and sentenced...

not just a sacrificial lamb...

YMMV...

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Kharron

I hope Manafort makes it for 2 weeks in solitary, at a non-VIP jail.

It makes you so mad to think of Manafort being held in solitary for doing virtually NOTHING, while serial assaulter Harvey Weinstein is still a free man!

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 09:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: JacKatMtn
Manafort's crowd, ran with the Podesta Group.. back in the day, selling USA off to the highest bidder....

My only worry, is that Manafort will be the sacrificial lamb, while the rest fly under the radar....

I want the entire swamp system outed, prosecuted and sentenced...

not just a sacrificial lamb...

YMMV...

I'm with you. Last I heard there was something like 40,000 sealed indictments federally this year, something like an 1800% increase. We'll see what comes out of it.

I'm not holding my breath for any major changes in how things operate.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 09:09 PM
link   

I heard Goodlatte say that Strzok was NOT under oath during the closed-session. But he will be sworn-in and under oath tomorrow. Does that make a difference?

He (Goodlatte) also said that Lisa Page gets "3 chances to bite the apple" before she's arrested on contempt.

1. Today, she didn't bite..even after being subpoenaed by a Federal Marshall.
2. Tomorrow, she can sit at the same table as her sugarplum Strzok, and answer questions.
or
3. She can show up and give a sworn deposition to (?somebody?) on Friday.

the fact they will let her slide ducking the subpoena 3 times before doing something about it is pretty ridiculous.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: JacKatMtn

There's still hope that Bob Mueller is working WITH Trump/Sessions/Huber/Horowitz.

He (Mueller) asked for 100 "blank subpoenas" today, in prep for the Manafort trial.

STORY: thehill.com...

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 09:12 PM
link   

I think that America is over what has happened inthe DC Swamp since Eisenhower left office...

Clean the entire mess up.. then we can go back to debating issues..

Right now, it's entirely rooted in making money for the folks who already have too much to spend...

Let's get America back...

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 09:13 PM
link   

A literal SEA OF INDICTMENTS!
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 09:14 PM
link   

I hope Manafort makes it for 2 weeks in solitary, at a non-VIP jail.

It makes you so mad to think of Manafort being held in solitary for doing virtually NOTHING, while serial assaulter Harvey Weinstein is still a free man!

He requested to be moved and then changed his mind, probably when he found out he would not have the same, easy accommodations. He then asked the judge to keep him where he is at, saying he was concerned about his safety, and the judge dismissed those concerns and said Alexandria was safe and has accommodated other high profile inmates. Who knows, maybe if he said he just didn't want to move and this place was nicer, judge may have appeased?

Check this out:

In court documents, prosecutors working for Russia special counsel Robert Mueller, said Manafort – long accustomed to a life of luxury cars, tailored suits and multiple residences on the outside – has been afforded "unique privileges'' inside the Northern Neck Regional Jail near Richmond, where he has been confined since a federal judge revoked his bail last month.

"Manafort enjoys...a private, self contained living unit, his own bathroom and shower facility, his own personal telephone and his own work-space to prepare for trial," prosecutors wrote in opposition to a defense request to postpone the July 25 trial.

In a series of monitored telephone calls, described by prosecutors in court documents, Manafort also has told associates that he is not required to wear a prison uniform and "has mentioned that he is being treated like a VIP."

And:

"Telephone logs indicate Manafort has spoken to his attorneys every day, and often multiple times a day," prosecutors said. "Manafort also possess a personal laptop that he is permitted to use in his (jail) unit to review materials and prepare for trial. The jail has made extra accommodations for Manafort's use of the laptop, including providing him an extension cord to ensure the laptop can be used in his unit and not just in the separate workroom."

USAToday

He got his wish granted but wherever he is going can't be as nice as he's had so far. Or maybe it can, we don't know.
edit on 11-7-2018 by Kharron because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 09:50 PM
link   

a reply to: JacKatMtn

There's still hope that Bob Mueller is working WITH Trump/Sessions/Huber/Horowitz.

He (Mueller) asked for 100 "blank subpoenas" today, in prep for the Manafort trial.

STORY: thehill.com...

Only you and I think that may be the case...
Buying time in preparation of "slammin the hammer down" on completely unsuspecting folks...
One HADES of a way to deflect and defer...using the ploy against the prey that uses the ploy..

edit on 7/11/18 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 10:26 PM
link   
What did this guy do again?

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 11:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: SR1TX
What did this guy do again?

I know of a few charges; money laundering, tax evasion, failing to register as a foreign agent, obstruction of justice, tampering with a witness, conspiracy against the U.S... I'm sure I'm missing some.

Here are the original charges and then the article of some additional ones:

Original D.C.
Original Virginia
Additional
More

edit on 11-7-2018 by Kharron because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join