It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

interesting redirect from a news site. do you or have you seen this? not with all articles

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 04:50 PM
link   
first can we please not get into the fake news or libtard news or any of that crap?
i am not interested in the validity of this news source for this conversation. i am interested in why i am getting a redirect and if you have ever had one.

so i go to huffington main page here

www.huffingtonpost.com...

all good

i click on the first header, Croatia continues and it takes me here

all good

i then clicked on the header, The mayor that took on trump and one.... this link

but that click redirects me to this

guce.oath.com... -to-london_uk_5b4362d8e4b05127ccf45fc0%3Fguccounter%3D1&sessionId=1_cc-session_4137c0f4-43da-477e-ba13-e0ff06740a00&lang=en-gb&inline=false

and it says this

HuffPost is now part of the Oath family. Due to EU data protection laws, we (Oath), our vendors and our partners need your consent to set cookies on your device to use your search, location and browsing data to understand your interests and personalise and measure ads on our products. Oath will also provide personalised ads to you on our partners' products.

it says a little more about data collection then this

Select 'OK' to continue using our products, otherwise, you will not be able to access our sites and apps.

and the link for oath

www.oath.com...

and its all about data collection

i dont like this. have any of you ever had this happen on any news site?

so just cause i clicked a link about a mayor in London i have to agree to this but not when i click a link about soccer???

if anyone feels a little saucy can you click the same links and see if the same thing happens to you?

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 04:54 PM
link   
my wife just tried it from her computer and she was able to read it without having to agree

she is running ghostery and i am not but not of the # blocked when she tried was from oath

interesting

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Verizon DNS injection.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: drewlander

Verizon DNS injection.

what does that mean?
i dont use verizon

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Simple solution...avoid HuffPo

I'm not even going to try it now that you said all of that--sounds shady AF

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 05:10 PM
link   

It's because of the new EU privacy law. Just about every site I went to after it took effect put up something about updating their privacy and cookie policy.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Sometimes it's hard to tell a news source from a spam chucking advertising site.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

It's because of the new EU privacy law. Just about every site I went to after it took effect put up something about updating their privacy and cookie policy.

so anytime i want to read an article about the EU i will see this?

even though its an american news site?

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 05:27 PM
link   
It's related to the GDPR, the EU's new regulation on data privacy.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Unless you keep the cookies stored, yes. If they clear on closing the browser, then it'll send that every time. Most of the sites I've seen it on have been US. They want to enforce it worldwide, so everyone is going with better safe than sorry.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Unless you keep the cookies stored, yes. If they clear on closing the browser, then it'll send that every time. Most of the sites I've seen it on have been US. They want to enforce it worldwide, so everyone is going with better safe than sorry.

to be clear

it is because it is an article about # going on there?
even though it is an american site?

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 05:38 PM
link   
As zaphod58 and uk truth said it is the new regualtions in the eu GDPR, it is supposedly there to protect our data better and force companies to be clearer in how they use our info.

Probably the server for that specific link is based in the eu and the others wernt...?
edit on 11-7-2018 by LairdTK2 because: New not mew

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 05:39 PM
link   

It's any site that EU citizens access as far as I know, but it might be because it's a story about the EU. On that, I'm not positive. It seems to vary from site to site. Some of the ones I've seen it on didn't have any stories about the EU at the time.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 05:42 PM
link   
GDPR
Meaning - the EU needs money , desperately . And now...

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 05:44 PM
link   

It's any site that EU citizens access as far as I know, but it might be because it's a story about the EU. On that, I'm not positive. It seems to vary from site to site. Some of the ones I've seen it on didn't have any stories about the EU at the time.

must just be certain links or # about the EU then cause im sure people in the EU visit huffington. at least 1 person has clicked it.

so you clicked accept? safe to do?
no getting around this kind of #?

thanks all

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 05:45 PM
link   
this answers it

The regulation applies if the data controller (an organisation that collects data from EU residents), or processor (an organisation that processes data on behalf of a data controller like cloud service providers), or the data subject (person) is based in the EU. Under certain circumstances,[5] the regulation also applies to organisations based outside the EU if they collect or process personal data of individuals located inside the EU.

cause dude lives there

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 05:48 PM
link   
for the record ghostery gets around it if you dont pause it

my wife had ghostery running and clicked the link several times and was able to see no problem.
she paused ghostery and when she clicked the link the redirect came up
she enabled ghostery again and clicked the link and the redirect came up

so if you dont pause ghostery you should be good to go for now

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: drewlander

Nvm. Oath is verizon but I forgot I have us cellular now. I guess its across more than one carrier.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 08:52 PM
link   

yeah...but it was Yahoo main pg I personalized for me...and Google Chrome...the browsers themself...

I too clicked ok once I read it closely on one....the other one and others that popped up later..I didn't do anything...just ignored it and it took me to the requested links anyway..no problem

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 09:46 PM
link   

With the new privacy laws in effect that affected almost every website I've gone to now, and emails of "We've updated our privacy policy" spam have ceased, I think what you are seeing is that now websites are not just doing it without your knowledge, and have to visibly alert you to what they are collecting.

It is then your choice to agree and continue using the service. Ghostery probably block the script to do so.

Instead of secretly lifting your wallet to get information about you, they're forced to say "Hey, come in!! But just so you know, we'll take your wallet and get details about you. Ok?"

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join