It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NFLPA files grievance against NFL's anthem policy

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 08:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
All they need to do is get rid of Thursday Night Football and everything would improve. TNF is not very good.

You don't want to see a weekly matchup of the Bills vs the Browns (or some analog of the same)?

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 08:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Thejoncrichton

originally posted by: TinySickTears

originally posted by: notsure1
a reply to: intrepid

God the cry babies are insane..

Who the hell does not want to stand for the anthem that bad?

Just stand the F%%% up...

I still don't get why people want others to be forced to stand.

If you force them to show respect then it is not genuine so it's not respect.

I just don't get it

Force that respect. That'll learn em

Are you forced to do things you don't want to do at your job? These guys get millions to play a game!

The employer didn't want to force them to do anything. They still don't. It's the bitchiness coming from some that is forcing this. NOT the NFL.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Not my point.

Oh, of course not.

I'm more interested in why people are in favor of forcing them to show this sign of respect when it's not genuine.

Because the NFL is a business and it has a brand. Who cares if its not genuine? The employer requires it for the job.

edit on 11-7-2018 by Thejoncrichton because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 08:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
All they need to do is get rid of Thursday Night Football and everything would improve. TNF is not very good.

That's truth right there. If they play NFC games exclusively this year that will change. Every game will have ramifications.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 08:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

The employer didn't want to force them to do anything. They still don't. It's the bitchiness coming from some that is forcing this. NOT the NFL.

I don't even know what this is supposed to mean.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

I have a feeling that rule, or at least one similar to it, still stand. It sounds like this more has to with the fact that the league made a unilateral decision without discussing it with the Players' Association first.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Everyone seems to think it's about protests.

My understanding is that the NFL doesnt need to consult the union on matters of their league code of conduct policy.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Everyone seems to think it's about protests.

My understanding is that the NFL doesnt need to consult the union on matters of their league code of conduct policy.

It does though when it comes to the CBA. That's what this is about. And according to the article the league is more than willing to work with the union.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 09:12 AM
link   

They are willing to talk to the union but they are under no obligation to change anything.
Let's not forget that the NFL fines players wearing the wrong shoe.
The players union is kind of a joke.
edit on 11-7-2018 by Bluntone22 because: Stupid auto correct

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

They are willing to talk to the union but they are under no obligation to change anything.

But they are if any policy they enact is in violation of the current agreement. It leaves them open to legal action for not adhering to that agreement.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 09:20 AM
link   

I don't see how this policy violates any agreement though. They don't have to participate in the anthem, they just can't protest.

The lawyers will hash it out I suppose

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Not to mention the fact that practically every play is a penalty.
I quit watching NFL years ago. I posit that some people simply grow out of it. Back in the 70's/80's the game was a lot more "athletic" meaning it required an assortment of athletic skills to play. Then came "refrigerator Perry" and the game simply went to "bulk".

Now the game is about squashing the QB and the skills set has gone to garbage.

I much prefer Baseball; a lot more athletic and there's a high nuance factor and a sort of "game within the game" concerning the psychological aspects of the game.

But, I guess, that's just me.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS
But, I guess, that's just me.

Me too, although I grew up in the 80's so that was my brand of smashmouth football.

Now if you tickle the QB it's a penalty. Football as a sport is on the decline so I'm rather ambivalent to this whole tempest in a teapot.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Watch a Saints game. Alvin Kamara puts athleticism and will into every play. There's still some that are interesting to watch.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Agreed, I think the athletes are better than they ever have been.
Everybody talks about how tough they were in the 70s but today's linemen would eat them alive.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 09:59 AM
link   

I just don't get it

Not sure what others want, but if I'm going to spend my time watching something to enjoy, I don't want to see political ideals used on my time. That's not to say they can't do it, just that I don't want to see it, so I'll tune out. And apparently, I'm not alone in that. None of us has any ability to direct what the NFL does or doesn't do. But when enough of us turned off the TV, and stopped going to games, it registered with the management that it was negatively affecting their bottom line. They decided to try to please the fans. Again, nobody forced them, they did it to save their a$$e$.

When I'm told I can't have the opinion I have, there will be some trouble. Until then, anyone whining about the "players right to protest", doesn't really grasp this. They can protest anyway they like. If they want to strip naked and flail around during the Anthem, go for it. And watch the people leave and find something else to do.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Thejoncrichton

I care. Everyone should care.

Why is an empty gesture so important?

So really the respect or whatever you want to call it don't matter?
Just shut up and stand like a good boy?
edit on 11-7-2018 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

I don't get the hoopla over it, for instance if I want to protest I am free to protest all I want... put my uniform on and that dynamic changes and my world gets set on fire.
ETA: Not sure why the players should have the ability to protest on the job, when 99% of the rest of us would risk being fired on the spot, or punished in some way.

As was said on the previous page, the owners should worry about the awful product that's being put on the field.

Also the players did not help themselves last season in England and kneeling for the national anthem and standing for god save the queen. I know more than a few people that turned off the game after that and have instead turned Sunday into a family even day.

edit on 11-7-2018 by Irishhaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

I just don't get it

Not sure what others want, but if I'm going to spend my time watching something to enjoy, I don't want to see political ideals used on my time.

But isn't the anthem itself a political ideal? No matter who is in power? I don't know why we have the damn things in pro sport at all. International events(Not the NBA, NHL or MLB) sure.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 10:17 AM
link   

a reply to: Thejoncrichton

I care. Everyone should care.

Why is an empty gesture so important?

So really the respect or whatever you want to call it don't matter?
Just shut up and stand like a good boy?

Did you miss the part where these boys don't actually have to stand at attention?

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join