It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unmasking Antifa Act of 2018

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+41 more 
posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 06:50 AM
link   

The “Unmasking Antifa Act of 2018,” legislation introduced in the House, carries a potential 15-year prison sentence for those caught engaging in behaviors typically associated with the “antifa” movement of anti-fascist activists. Under the act, anyone “wearing a mask” or in disguise who “injures, oppresses, threatens, or intimidates any person … in the free exercise or enjoyment of any right or privilege” would be subject to a fine or up to 15 years in prison. The bill was introduced in the House last month... The bill is currently in the House Judiciary Committee.

TheHill.com
Congress.gov

I hope this passes. It's time to get these masked thugs off of our streets.

+20 more 
posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 06:55 AM
link   
a reply to: toms54

How do they define wearing a mask or in disguise? Couldn't posting anonymously on a website or using a VPN to hide your IP address also be considered a form of disguise?

As we've seen in the past, if we give the government an inch they'll always take a mile.
edit on 7/11/2018 by Xcalibur254 because: (no reason given)

+27 more 
posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 06:58 AM
link   

I hope so too. If you want to protest, do it peacefully. Otherwise, go to jail. Something everyone can agree on.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 07:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

I hope so too. If you want to protest, do it peacefully. Otherwise, go to jail. Something everyone can agree on.

Although I agree with that in general, would the United States even exist if our founders only protested peacefully?

+12 more 
posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 07:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Fools

We as a country, enacted the First amendment to ensure that we had the right to PEACEFULLY assemble. I think it was pretty clear how we are to act inside our borders.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 07:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Fools

Fair point.

But i think revolutions have a tendency of being not liked and supported by the existing government

+13 more 
posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 07:07 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

It's funny how it's always the side that says we need the Second Amendment so we can defend ourselves from a corrupt government is the same side that demands protests against a corrupt government be peaceful.

+12 more 
posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 07:15 AM
link   
It's the mask OK!! locally they tried to protest and were informed that covering their faces was against the law. A law enacted to protect blacks from harassment many years ago. When told to pull the mask down they refused and made 6 steps and were arrested and given a $150 fine. None of the protesters were locals.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 07:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Good point. I don't see the words "physically" or "in person"

+8 more 
posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 07:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

It's funny how it's always the side that says we need the Second Amendment so we can defend ourselves from a corrupt government is the same side that demands protests against a corrupt government be peaceful.

Is it wrong to wish for people not to be hurt? I suppose when you live by ANY MEANS NECESSARY, there will be some acceptable losses right?

+17 more 
posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 07:29 AM
link   

I've never been hit up side the head with a stick or sign when sitting at my computer. Have you ? I think and I'm pretty sure they mean in the physical world. Not to hard to infer that . I agree with this law. It's needed.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 07:31 AM
link   

I seem to recall plenty of peaceful protests in the Occupy days that ended with police brutality. Is it any surprise that when you mace enough students sitting peacefully that eventually there's some pushback?

I may not 100% agree with antifa's methods, not you reap what you sow. If these protesters are going to get beaten and bloodied regardless of if they're protesting peacefully or not, can you really blame them for fighting back?

+30 more 
posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 07:34 AM
link   
The Constitution Doesn't Guarantee you can Protest with a Mask - Chicago Tribune

Anti-Mask Laws (Wiki)

This concept is not new. I'm sorry, wearing a mask totally changes a protest action into an intimidation.
edit on 11-7-2018 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 07:37 AM
link   
a reply to: openyourmind1262

And the intent behind the Patriot Act was to protect us from terrorists. Instead it's been used to justify the monitoring of pretty much every US citizen.

Like I said, give the government an inch and they'll take a mile.

We've already had numerous cases of law enforcement agencies trying to arrest people that said mean things about them online. How long until one of them tries to use this law to arrest someone? At that point the floodgates are open. Say anything mean or threatening online and risk facing 15 years in prison.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Do you think an anti-mask law is going to prevent or accelerate your scenario?

+15 more 
posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 07:40 AM
link   

just so I completely understand your position here, you are advocating for the right to harm others during a protest?

Because that is what this is about.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 07:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: mikell
It's the mask OK!! locally they tried to protest and were informed that covering their faces was against the law. A law enacted to protect blacks from harassment many years ago. When told to pull the mask down they refused and made 6 steps and were arrested and given a $150 fine. None of the protesters were locals.

Interesting, thanks for the info.

Strange law. Never felt the need to obscure my face in protests, but know plenty of peaceful, professional types here in the UK who wear them due to fear of turning up on Neo-nazi doxxing/hitlist site Redwatch (been on it since I was 16/17 for putting on a Love Music Hate Racism gig), don't want to be put on the government employment blacklist or police surveillance systems of 'known peaceful protesters and political agitators'.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Depending on how the law is phrased it could very easily accelerate it. If the definition of disguise is loose enough it could very easily do applied to the digital realm. At which point it's only a matter of time before someone is facing 15 years for saying something mean on the internet.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 07:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: Gryphon66

Depending on how the law is phrased it could very easily accelerate it. If the definition of disguise is loose enough it could very easily do applied to the digital realm. At which point it's only a matter of time before someone is facing 15 years for saying something mean on the internet.

It's been established for about 150 years in the US that wearing a mask in public can be a matter of intimidation. Yes, I can see how government could use this to suppress unfairly, and we should be constantly vigiliant about the erosion of freedoms.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 07:56 AM
link   

As I said, I don't 100% agree with antifa's tactics. At the same time though we shouldn't really be surprised at their emergence. The past few decades have shown that all peaceful protest gets you is a boot on the back of your neck.

So now that people are standing up to such corruption the government wants everyone to play nice? Absolutely laughable.

I certainly don't want to see innocent people get hurt. But the government demanding peace when they've been responding with violence is hypocritical at best.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join