It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Sacha Baron Cohen Go Too Far By Disguising Himself As A Disabled Vet For Sarah Palin Interview?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Well you go messin with the sacred vets.....then you and I are gonna fuss. Regular vets though.....I wont mind that as much

reply to: TinySickTears

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I asked my sister in law, who is a vet, if she was pissed about this.

She said she wasn't but she's an animal doctor and was never in the Nam.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24
Well you go messin with the sacred vets.....then you and I are gonna fuss. Regular vets though.....I wont mind that as much

reply to: TinySickTears

People should be able to make fun of all vets

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Seriously......that was sarcasm. Christ.

a reply to: TinySickTears

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 11:41 AM
link   
She got drunk over a movie? (Pissed is a british term for drunk). Juzt felt the need to clarify that! Lola reply to: AugustusMasonicus

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

Sacha Baron Cohen always goes too far that's why he's gotten to where he's got.
Kinda liked Ali G but Baron Cohen is not to my taste , his humour is mockery ,he exploits people and cultures to get a laugh.

Never thought I'd say it but I agree with Sarah Palin.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24
Seriously......that was sarcasm. Christ.

Yes I know that.
And mine was a statement

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

but nobody will read this last line cuz of the trigger words i employed.

I did. Does that mean I'm not triggered? Hopefully, as I really don't think I am. Cohen, and "comics" like him, I don't find amusing--and I'm someone who is easily amused. Maybe it's the setting up aspect of it I don't like.

Meh.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
Impersonating any form past or present of the military is a Federal offense. One can get a military tribunal and a firing squad for that under certain conditions.
That was very stupid...

He should be put in a room full of veterans and let him try to joke his way out......that dumbass has never been funny and this is the worst .

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: JHumm

He is hilarious
Grow a pair

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 01:43 PM
link   

You're right, I missed the revision last night. Here it is:

2013 Revision

Looks like they added a few lines to strike out 'decoration' and reword it as 'combat badge' and clarified a few wordings. I could be wrong but I still see nothing in here that would get an actor in trouble for playing a vet. I believe this is still protected as free speech.

Personally, I'll always side with the Constitution and the right to free speech, right to humor and so on over people getting offended for things. Someone gets offended, guess what happens? They get over it in a day or two. Imprisoning someone for free speech, not so easy to forget and get over.

Edit: If he tried to claim benefits, or medical insurance or some kind of retirement or something, that would be covered by this Act as financial benefit. However, acting a veteran does not give him any financial benefit from the government. No money is being stolen here. Just my understanding.

edit on 11-7-2018 by Kharron because: (no reason given)

(post by lakenheath24 removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 01:57 PM
link   

I only got one thing to say,

I have seen a version of the future, in my visions, and there was no poverty,
No war.
No hunger.
No global warming.

And the only way to get there is........ Is....

Sacha Baron Cohen, as.. IZNOGOUD !!!!!!!

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 10:14 PM
link   
The VA system is still broken, guys.

If you're gonna be outraged on my behalf, focus on that.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 10:33 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

The VA, and the shameful homeless situation for many of you.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 11:16 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

The point is, I'm sick of the veteran outrage du jour crap.

I can't speak for everyone in the veteran community, but I'm sick and tired of being looked at like I'm a charity case, used as a political weapon, or exploited for money. There is a warrior class in this country and like all examples of such, we are treated poorly when not being used for a tax break or Wounded Warrior commercials and tend to be treated with contempt from the very organization we're stuck with for our post-service care.

Everyone makes choices when they leave the service. Sometimes that choice is to crawl into a bottle, get lost in drugs, and completely self-destruct because they can't function outside of a regimented institution, suffer severe mental illness, become addicted to the drugs that treated the pain in the first place, divorce, broken families, and homelessness. Lots of # happens to vets. Some of that # kills them slowly, some of it kills them with a bullet or an intentional overdose.

Others deal with #, fight through it as best as possible, and move on to better things until success dulls the sharpness of certain memories. That does mean they don't experience the above, it just means they found a way to get through it instead of letting it kill them. It also doesn't mean they experience all of the above either.

These are real issues. Not a clown wearing a costume. But it is indeed far easier to be outraged by this than to actually acknowledge the real issues.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 11:39 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

I'm not going to insult you by saying I understand... Never served.

I am, however, surrounded by veterans in my daily life. Family, and friends, who've served, and for the most part, their opinions mirror yours.

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 12:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: testingtesting
a reply to: Justso

I think you should all lighten up a bit.
It's satire.
Oh and don't push all that #e about you lot saving us yeah you helped but the Russians were the real guys who helped the most.

Cohen is an uneducated fool much like someone who obviously has no clue about WWII history. Google lend lease and then get back to us about who the "real guys who helped" are. No doubt Russia helped, but without the goods and armament the U.S. provided the Russians would have been toast along with the UK, France and the rest of Europe.

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 03:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nucleardoom

Cohen is an uneducated fool .

yeah... uneducated

en.wikipedia.org...

Baron Cohen was educated at The Haberdashers' Aske's Boys' School, an independent school in Elstree, Hertfordshire. Baron Cohen attended the University of Cambridge, entering Christ's College, Cambridge, where he read history, graduating in 1993 with upper-second-class honours.

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Also a decent dude Cohen a Orthodox Jew gave a million dollars to help refugees in Syria.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join