It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jonah....

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 01:48 AM
link   
The story of Jonah a Lesson in Courage and Mercy

JONAH
1 The word of Jehovah came to Joʹnah the son of A·mitʹtai, saying: 2 “Get up, go to Ninʹe·veh the great city, and proclaim judgment against her, for their wickedness has come to my attention.”
3 But Joʹnah got up to run away from Jehovah to Tarʹshish; he went down to Jopʹpa and found a ship going to Tarʹshish. So he paid the fare and went aboard to go with them to Tarʹshish, away from Jehovah.
4 Then Jehovah hurled a strong wind at the sea, and there was such a violent storm on the sea that the ship was about to be wrecked. 5 The mariners were so frightened that each of them began to call on his god for help. And they began throwing the articles of the ship into the sea, to make it lighter. But Joʹnah had gone down into the inner part of the ship, where he lay down and fell fast asleep. 6 The ship captain approached and said to him: “Why are you sleeping? Get up, call out to your god! Perhaps the true God will show his concern for us, and we will not perish.”
7 Then they said to one another: “Come, let us cast lots to find out who is to blame for this calamity.” So they cast lots, and the lot fell to Joʹnah. 8 They said to him: “Please tell us, who is to blame for this calamity that has come upon us? What is your work, and where do you come from? What is your country, and from what people are you?”
9 He replied: “I am a Hebrew, and I fear Jehovah the God of the heavens, the One who made the sea and the dry land.”
10 At this the men became even more afraid, and they asked him: “What have you done?” (The men learned that he was running away from Jehovah, because he had told them.) 11 So they said to him: “What should we do to you to make the sea calm down for us?” For the sea was growing more and more stormy. 12 He replied: “Lift me up and throw me into the sea, and the sea will calm down for you; for I know that it is because of me that this violent storm has come upon you.” 13 However, the men rowed hard to bring the ship back to dry land, but they could not, because the sea grew more and more stormy around them.
14 Then they called out to Jehovah and said: “Ah, now, O Jehovah, please, may we not perish because of this man! Do not hold us responsible for innocent blood, since you have done as you pleased, O Jehovah.” 15 Then they lifted Joʹnah up and threw him into the sea; and the sea ceased its raging. 16 Then the men were struck with great fear of Jehovah, and they offered a sacrifice to Jehovah and made vows.
17 Jehovah now sent a huge fish to swallow Joʹnah, so that Joʹnah came to be in the belly of the fish for three days and three nights.
2 Then Joʹnah prayed to Jehovah his God from the belly of the fish, 2 and he said:
“Out of my distress I called out to Jehovah, and he answered me.
Out of the depths of the Grave I cried for help.
You heard my voice.
 3 When you threw me to the depths, into the heart of the open sea,
Then the currents engulfed me.
All your breakers and waves swept over me.
 4 And I said, ‘I have been driven away from your sight!
How will I gaze again upon your holy temple?’
 5 Waters engulfed me and threatened my life;
The watery deep closed in on me.
Weeds were wrapped around my head.
 6 To the bottoms of the mountains I sank down.
The bars of the earth were closing upon me forever.
But out of the pit you brought up my life, O Jehovah my God.
 7 When my life was ebbing away, Jehovah was the One whom I remembered.
Then my prayer came in to you, into your holy temple.
 8 Those who are devoted to the worthless idols forsake their source of loyal love.
 9 But as for me, with the voice of thanksgiving I will sacrifice to you.
What I have vowed, I will pay.
Salvation is from Jehovah.”
10 In time Jehovah commanded the fish, and it vomited Joʹnah out onto the dry land.
3 Then the word of Jehovah came to Joʹnah a second time, saying: 2 “Get up, go to Ninʹe·veh the great city, and proclaim to her the message that I tell you.”
3 So Joʹnah got up and went to Ninʹe·veh in obedience to the word of Jehovah. Now Ninʹe·veh was a very large city—a walking distance of three days. 4 Then Joʹnah entered the city, and walking a day’s journey, he was proclaiming: “In just 40 days more, Ninʹe·veh will be overthrown.”
5 And the men of Ninʹe·veh put faith in God, and they proclaimed a fast and put on sackcloth, from the greatest to the least of them. 6 When the message reached the king of Ninʹe·veh, he rose up from his throne and took off his royal garment and covered himself with sackcloth and sat down in the ashes. 7 Furthermore, he issued a proclamation throughout Ninʹe·veh,
“By the decree of the king and his nobles: No man or beast, herd or flock, should eat anything at all. They should not take food, nor should they drink any water. 8 Let them be covered with sackcloth, both man and beast; and let them call out earnestly to God and turn from their evil ways and from the violence they practice. 9 Who knows whether the true God may reconsider what he intends to do and turn from his burning anger, so that we may not perish?”
10 When the true God saw what they did, how they had turned back from their evil ways, he reconsidered the calamity that he said he would bring on them, and he did not bring it.
4 But this was highly displeasing to Joʹnah, and he became hot with anger. 2 So he prayed to Jehovah: “Ah, now, Jehovah, was this not my concern when I was in my own land? That is why I tried to flee to Tarʹshish in the first place; for I knew that you are a compassionate and merciful God, slow to anger and abundant in loyal love, one who feels grieved over calamity. 3 Now, O Jehovah, please take away my life, for it is better for me to die than to live.”
4 Jehovah asked: “Is it right for you to be so angry?”
5 Joʹnah then went out of the city and sat down east of the city. He made a shelter for himself there and sat in its shade to see what would happen to the city. 6 Jehovah God then provided a bottle-gourd plant to grow up over Joʹnah, to give him shade for his head and to relieve his misery. And Joʹnah was very pleased with the bottle-gourd plant.
7 But the true God sent a worm at the break of dawn on the next day, and it attacked the bottle-gourd plant, and it withered. 8 When the sun began to shine, God also sent a scorching east wind, and the sun beat down on Joʹnah’s head, and he grew faint. He kept asking to die, and he kept saying, “It is better for me to die than to live.”
9 God asked Joʹnah: “Is it right for you to be so angry over the bottle-gourd plant?”
At that he said: “I have a right to be angry, so angry that I want to die.” 10 But Jehovah said: “You felt sorry for the bottle-gourd plant, which you did not work for, nor did you make it grow; it grew in one night and perished in one night. 11 Should I not also feel sorry for Ninʹe·veh the great city, in which there are more than 120,000 men who do not even know right from wrong, as well as their many animals?”
[Footnotes]
Meaning “Dove.”
Or “decked vessel.”
Or “worship.”
Or “tried to work their way through.”
Or “because of the soul of this man!”
Lit., “belly.”
Or “Sheol,” that is, the common grave of mankind. See Glossary.
Or “Waters encompassed me to the soul.”
Or “soul.”
Or possibly, “their loyalty.”
Lit., “a city great to God.”
Or “feel regret over.”
Or “felt regret over.”
Or “gracious.”
Or “soul.”
Or possibly, “castor-oil plant.”
Or “that his soul mi

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 01:55 AM
link   
a reply to: redletter

Annnnd the conspiracy is....

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 02:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

The fish.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Those who are passing this up are missing a very special motion picture.

You have to look in the link.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 03:16 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 05:54 AM
link   

The definition of a JW:

Deu 18:22 When a prophet speaketh in the name of the LORD, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the LORD hath not spoken, but the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of him.

Jehovah Witnesses are famous for false teachings and false prophecies. Their leadership believes they are being guided by Jehovah but when you look at its organization and leaders you find teachings and doctrines of men mixed with true bible teachings.

Their leader's grave wrapped in occultism as their bible which was completed by an occultist.

In JESUS name, Wake up and walk out of the darkness into the light.

edit on 11-7-2018 by DeathSlayer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Jonah was a man of GOD who also happened to be a racist. He didn't want to preach repentance to the Ninnevites because he hated them and their brutal ways. A bit like asking a somewhat nationalist/right wing Christian to go to Syria and tell Isis to repent.
"Screw that, they deserve everything coming to them. Look what they're doing to people."
Many cultures at that time were worshipping (amongst others,) the god Dagon. In Hebrew the word 'dag' means fish.
People who worshipped a fish-god and possibly observed a man being spat out by a 'fish' would quite reasonable consider him a messenger.
Jonah was prepared to share the message of coming judgement and destruction to Nineveh.
But he hated the fact GOD was prepared to spare the people if they repented.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Lucius Driftwood

That is what the movie brought out, along with the Bible book. I don't know if it said Jonah was a racist. But it is possible. When Jesus arrived, even his apostles were puffed up with pride, fighting among each other about who was to be the best, and looked down on others who were not Jews.

Jesus put up with them with great patience. He still does today with all of us with all of our defects. I myself am not racist. But I imagine there may be God-fearing men who have to get rid of that defect in them. I have my own defects which are different.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 06:21 PM
link   
So is this the way the JW™ 'ring our doorbells'? Expound on the conspiracy here...

The 'fish' is a UFO is that it?

* IF a former JW™ does a testimony at this year's Jamboree, the part that He had a problem with was when I questioned He about the 144,000 people... Only AFTER the JW™ membership grew to more than 144,000 did the 'ism' switch to 144k groups.. And "Jesus is the ONLY WAY" typed some anonymous person who had never been typed...

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: JimNasium

Nah.

All it is is basically a verse by verse drama of the Bible book of Jonah. It is quite impressive as well.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 02:21 AM
link   
a reply to: DeathSlayer

I was slow to reply because so much what you said was nonsense.

Anyway I want to encourage you to take a look at the movie. It won't hurt you. There is nothing occult about it buddy. Actually it will open your eyes hopefully.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 05:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: redletter

I'm a little confused at the message of this video.
A lot of minorities struggling until the light of the lord makes everyone white?

I think it is just an advertisement to crack into the non-white market.

The one thing that religion has proven over and over again is that they care more about green then black,white,yellow,brown etc.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 05:45 AM
link   

The story of Jonah a Lesson in Courage and Mercy

JONAH
1 The word of Jehovah came to Joʹnah the son of A·mitʹtai, saying: 2 “Get up, go to Ninʹe·veh the great city, and proclaim judgment against her, for their wickedness has come to my attention.”

The story of Jonah is a direct repudiation of Jehovah's omnipotence.

How did Nin'e-veh's wickedness go unnoticed prior to it coming to Jehovah's attention?

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Jonah is an epic historical event not just for believers, but also for unbelievers. The story is aimed more at the latter than the believers.

They "cast lots", the "lot" fell on Jonah.
When Jonah told them what "god" he was running from. They believed him? Why? Was that their "god"? Then they threw him overboard, (Out of fear). People miss many lessons from this event.

I find it interesting that the lost mock this story. When they're actual historical accounts of this happening, other than just in "the bible". With the same effects of "white skin".

There is so much missed from this biblical lesson, than what meets the minds eye. Every detail of this biblical story needs to be analyzed by the believers and unbelievers alike.

Wether one believes it is fictional or fact. There's lessons to be learned from it.

No detail is put in the bible to contradict itself. If it raises a question or a doubt. There is a reason for it. It doesn't contradict itself though, nor is it not reasonable.

It will either justify you or condemn you.

Many of the "unbelievable" stories have been, in historical accounts, proven sound and provable.

But many people think that because it comes from "the bible" it's "fiction".
Jonah is a "story" that even the most "educated", "evolved from a monkey" modern "upright" "bipedal" humanoid should explore.

Or just be/remain ignorant and mock it.
Truth will win in the end.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Now the 144,000 are Scripturally virgins and Israel........J Ws are you a virgin? Or just a mess?

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 07:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: murphy22
No detail is put in the bible to contradict itself. If it raises a question or a doubt. There is a reason for it. It doesn't contradict itself though, nor is it not reasonable.

Did Jesus allow his disciples to keep a staff on their journey?

Yes (Mark 6:8)
No (Matthew 10:9; Luke 9:3)

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 12:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krahzeef_Ukhar

originally posted by: murphy22

Did Jesus allow his disciples to keep a staff on their journey?

Yes (Mark 6:8)
No (Matthew 10:9; Luke 9:3)

Those were two different accounts. One was the beginning, and the other was afterwards. There was a reason for both occasions. Don't be dishonest as many others here have been.
edit on 15-7-2018 by redletter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Fair enough, that wasn't active dishonesty.
Just did a quick search on contradictions and it came up.
I'm not going to bother looking into it, I'll take your word for it.

I should have just stuck to my first one...

The story of Jonah is a direct repudiation of Jehovah's omnipotence.

How did Nin'e-veh's wickedness go unnoticed prior to it coming to Jehovah's attention?

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 12:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Krahzeef_Ukhar

No human is fully aware of how God watches the earth.

During Abraham's time the cry of Sodom and Gomorrah came to his ears and he sent angels to see if it was true or not. And when seeing what was happening he sent fire and sulpher and destroyed the two cities.

There were people obviously praying to God about the violence and God began to notice it.

That doesn't mean he cannot know all things at all times. It just means he chooses what he sees and not sees. And does not focus his attention on everything at once if he doesn't want to.

If you realize how big the universe is, and how much God's attention is focused elsewhere other than the earth, you would realize how relatively insignificant we are to him.
edit on 15-7-2018 by redletter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 12:40 AM
link   

That doesn't mean he cannot know all things at all times. It just means he chooses what he sees and not sees. And does not focus his attention on everything at once if he doesn't want to.

True it doesn't mean he "cannot" know all things at all times.
It does however mean that he doesn't.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join