It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: New Combat Badge Includes Foreign Troops and Non-Infantry

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Foreign and Non-Infantry soldiers who come under fire in close combat situations in Iraq and Afghanistan will now be eligable for a new Close Combat Badge being created by the US Army. Soldiers from armor, artillery or other non-infantry units were previously not eligable for the Combat Infantryman Badge, an honor reserved only for infantrymen who participated in direct combat missions and came under fire. Several senior Army commanders had written to Lt. Gen. Hagenbeck asking that he grant exceptions to the limited eligibility rules for the Combat Infantryman Badge to honor other soldiers, but instead the Army decided to preserve the original badge and create the new Close Combat Badge.

www.military.com
WASHINGTON- February 19, 2005 (AP) -- Instead, Hagenbeck said in an interview Friday, the Army decided to preserve the rules for the Combat Infantryman Badge but also create the Close Combat Badge so that infantrymen would still have their own and others who performed infantry-like missions under fire would get special recognition, too.

"It's for the artilleryman who has been made a de facto infantryman," Hagenbeck said. The same applies to other ground combat soldiers like those in armor, combat engineering and cavalry, who have been called upon to do infantry missions and are personally present under fire.

The badges are not awards for valor, like the Bronze Star. The precise eligibility rules are to be published by the Army in March, and senior officers then can issue the badges, Hagenbeck said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

A nice gesture, and I'm glad for these non-infantry to which the new badge will apply. They have every right to be honored as well. Now all they need is a new Constitution Badge, and we'll be all set.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 01:07 AM
link   
The Department of the Navy approved a Combat Action Ribbon in 1969 and can be awarded to anyone who performs proficiently in combat. The Army was correct to preserve the CIB, because of its history and long-time association with the Infantry and because its design is unmistakenly based on infantry colors and the musket. It also is a variation on the Expert Infantryman's Badge, which is identical, except for the wreath.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 08:00 AM
link   
OK, Here's my opinion. Any soldier (male and female) that seves in a "combat zone", "hostile fire zone", has been eligible per certain rules- for a "combat patch". That patch is the unit patch normally worn on the left shoulder. After orders indicate service in above mentioned areas the SM then is eligible to wear that patch of the unit he/she was assigned to, on thier RIGHT shoulder. That has been enough for over 50 years. I, personally have served overseas, been shot at; been injured in the line of duty, and am now 100% service-connected for my injuries... I DO NOT have a combat patch. Do not care. I honor anyone that serves this country, but everyone does not need to advertise everything they've done on thier uniforms.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by comsec281
After orders indicate service in above mentioned areas the SM then is eligible to wear that patch of the unit he/she was assigned to, on thier RIGHT shoulder. That has been enough for over 50 years. I, personally have served overseas, been shot at; been injured in the line of duty, and am now 100% service-connected for my injuries... I DO NOT have a combat patch. Do not care. I honor anyone that serves this country, but everyone does not need to advertise everything they've done on thier uniforms.

Question; Is this patch something new? During Nam, Air Force personel never received a patch per se, we received an Expeditionary Medal.

If we wanted other to know where we were attached, normally we bought a hat with Arc Light or Young Tiger on it, but never wore anything on our actual uniform.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Yes, to above question. Up until recently, the only badge or device that denoted combat were the Combat Infantrymans Badge; Combat Medics Badge; star on parachute wings to indicate a "combat jump". There may be a few more ie: star on pilots wings but that I'm not sure. I agree 100% on your hat comment.

top topics

join