It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PayPal told Customer her Death Breached its Rules

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 02:24 PM
link   

"You are in breach of condition 15.4(c) of your agreement with PayPal Credit as we have received notice that you are deceased... this breach is not capable of remedy."

That's part of the letter Lindsay Durdle's bereaved husband received after he informed paypal of his wife's death , the letter was sent to his home in her name.

PayPal has told Mr Durdle that it is looking into this "as a priority", and has written off the debt in the meantime. "We apologise to Mr Durdle for the distress this letter has caused," a spokesman added. "We are urgently looking into this matter, and are in direct contact with Mr Durdle to support him."
www.bbc.co.uk...

Well that's OK then.

Faceless corporations , even death is no escape.

edit on 10-7-2018 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Priceless. Stole it for my new sig!

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

"You are in breach of condition 15.4(c) of your agreement with PayPal Credit as we have received notice that you are deceased... this breach is not capable of remedy."

That's part of the letter Lindsay Durdle's bereaved husband received after he informed paypal of his wife's death , the letter was sent to his home in her name.

PayPal has told Mr Durdle that it is looking into this "as a priority", and has written off the debt in the meantime. "We apologise to Mr Durdle for the distress this letter has caused," a spokesman added. "We are urgently looking into this matter, and are in direct contact with Mr Durdle to support him."
www.bbc.co.uk...

Well that's OK then.

I recall when my grandmother passed and she had a few outstanding credit card balances. In a twisted way, it was kind of fun calling them to let them know they wouldn't be collecting sh*t...

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 02:34 PM
link   

www.bbc.co.uk...

Well that's OK then.

Pay pal is siting on a couple grand of my$$ becasue I was selling Crypto.

The let me sell it for a while then just froze mine and a bunch of other crypto sellers accounts and said we couldnt touch our money for 180 days. Im supposed to get mine back in August but I bet they try some more BS.

Im glad ebay screwed them over..

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 02:35 PM
link   
When death hit the fan, paypal's rats leave the boat
second
edit on 10-7-2018 by TheMasterOne because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-7-2018 by TheMasterOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 03:05 PM
link   

www.bbc.co.uk...

Well that's OK then.

Paypal heap stupid.....and they owe me twenty quid, the chancers!

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

www.bbc.co.uk...

Well that's OK then.

I recall when my grandmother passed and she had a few outstanding credit card balances. In a twisted way, it was kind of fun calling them to let them know they wouldn't be collecting sh*t...

I've heard that the recently deceased often use their credit cards to shower their loved ones in gifts in the first days of their afterlife.

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac

originally posted by: Edumakated

www.bbc.co.uk...

Well that's OK then.

I've heard that the recently deceased often use their credit cards to shower their loved ones in gifts in the first days of their afterlife.

That's fine if they have no estate to speak of, but the Executor of an estate is required to pay off debts as a part of settling the estate. Inheritances get distributed only after all debts are satisfied.

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

One has to have assets and money for an executor to settle an estate.

Trust me, it's far better, but getting far harder, to leave no trace of either!

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 04:37 PM
link   
was it written by a Bot or a soulless Paypal drone?

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

One has to have assets and money for an executor to settle an estate. Trust me, it's far better, but getting far harder, to leave no trace of either!

I said that already. I've settled several estates. I know the process. Legally speaking, debts must be settled, if possible, from the assets of the deceased, whether that is cash or property. Creditors are entitled to line up to get their share and they are required to be notified. I'm sure there are innumerable ways to circumvent the system just as I'm sure many people have no problem screwing over creditors because they must be bad by definition. But you cannot simply go in and clean out a deceased person's bank accounts and pretend they had no assets.

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 04:43 PM
link   
It's poorly worded legalese. I don't think the death is the breach. The crux is that there's an unpaid debt, which is the breach of contract, and the fact that she's dead makes that that breach one which cannot be resolved for either party... thus, this is Paypal's way of saying "Eh, no money can be collected on this account" without coming right out and saying that, in the hopes that their obtusely worded statement will confuse a few relatives here and there and they'll send in payment for their deceased loved one.

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Depends entirely on the state, the nature of the debt (secured or unsecured), and the age of the debt. I somehow doubt Paypal will find themselves prioritized on any deceased's estate payout schedule.

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I think in this instance its the insensitivity shown by Paypal that is the issue rather than the alleged debt.

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

I think in this instance its the insensitivity shown by Paypal that is the issue rather than the alleged debt.

They're a business, so the debt is obviously going to be the driving force in their actions. Businesses aren't living, feeling life forms, they're inanimate entities which exist to make money, period. No reason whatsoever to expect any "sensitivity" from them beyond them following whatever laws are in place regarding mandatory dismissal of debts following death.

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Depends entirely on the state, the nature of the debt (secured or unsecured), and the age of the debt. I somehow doubt Paypal will find themselves prioritized on any deceased's estate payout schedule.

HAVING DONE THIS SEVERAL TIMES, I assure you I am familiar with the process. Debts must be settled from the assets of the estate, PayPal included. Depending on the outstanding amount, creditors may very well opt out thinking the cost of collection is not worth the potential reward, but if the amount is substantial enough to pique their interest, they'll be there. BTW, the debt is $4200, not just twenty bucks.
edit on 7/10/2018 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Mr Durdle informed paypal of the situation and sent them a copy of her death certificate and her will , in response they sent this letter and threatened legal action to recover the monies owed rather than pass the information on to a customer support team who could deal with the matter with a level of compassion , there is no defence for the crass way they and other companies handle these situations ... they are at fault and should have their feet put to the coals for it.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 10:55 AM
link   
After mom died one company kept wanting a forwarding address no matter what was sent to them. finally my sister sent the cemetery address and never heard back from them.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Read that story earlier, terrible.

At the very least, they wiped the debt clean and are doing an internal investigation.

From PayPal,

"We apologise unreservedly to Mr Durdle for the understandable distress this letter has caused. As soon as we became aware of this mistake, we contacted Mr Durdle directly to offer our support, cleared the outstanding debt and closed down his wife’s account as he requested. We are urgently reviewing our internal processes to ensure this does not happen again."(Paypal et al)

Source:

gizmodo.com...

edit on 11-7-2018 by Arnie123 because: Hmmm

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 02:48 AM
link   
sounds pretty normal for a banking entity. when my mother passed away, we paid off her credit card. first my father asked if he could transfer it into his name. but since he could not, he paid off the balance and canceled the card. as part of this process he had to take them her death certificate, and do a fair amount of paperwork. now over 6 years later, we get a bill each year (the only bill we receive every year), from that credit card for all their fees and such for the year. with each year previous showing as past due, and adding up with interest, needing to be paid. the first few years my father would deal with it, and be assured by the bank that it had been canceled. yet each year we get yet another bill. at this point we are now just ignoring the whole thing. seriously they just can't let go, trying to collect money from a dead person.

new topics

top topics

join