It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our gun rights are safe under Brett Kavanaugh

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

Don't count chickens before they're hatched.

Justices have a habit of going their own way, once on the bench.

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Kavanaugh's apparent stance on 2A is one of the major reasons I was hoping that Trump would select him. While I don't expect that this Supreme Court will be in any hurry to strike down longstanding federal laws, I do think we're probably going to get a positive ruling relatively soon protecting the classes of firearms currently available at the federal level and generally striking down the state-level 'assault weapons' bans. Even if they only do that much, it would provide a much needed backstop against further erosion of 2A rights by setting clear limits on what the government can and cannot ban.
edit on 10-7-2018 by vor78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Our gun rights are safe under Brett Kavanaugh

They're never safe.

DON'T lull yourself in to a false sense of security.

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Yeah but his track record on the 4th Amendment is miserable and appalling.

“The Government’s metadata collection program is entirely consistent with the Fourth Amendment.” - B Kavanaugh

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: PageLC14

The only reason I knew he was picked is because I saw media coverage of all the protests outside the supreme court. I wonder if even half of those people protesting even know why they're protesting...

They didn’t. If you look closely, many of the signs had a blank underline so they could write in whoever POTUS selected. Mindless lemmings, the lot of them. I really wonder who selects their clothes for the day and meals. It’s pretty obvious they can’t make decisions without CNN, MSNBC, or the old guard Dem leaders giving them direction.

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 04:17 PM
link   
www.courant.com...

Yale, real close to Bush... Worked under Kennedy... Yup just another club member

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Your gun rights have never been in jeopardy so no big deal.

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Amen

The constitution was written to limit the rights of the government not the rights of the people. We should never give up a right once we gave won that right.

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: JBurns

Great to see we have installed justices that will interpret the Constitution as it was intended, and not based on their own opinion/political beliefs.

:

legit question here

since we agree the constitution is open to interpretation, how do you, not being a constitutional lawyer know how the interpretation was intended?

thanks

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

I'm not the ine you addressed but I'm an amateur historian and the Founders' writings have been published.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 12:34 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Many of the key players in putting the Constitution together left very detailed writings on their thoughts about what it meant. We're allowed to add our own thoughts to it, they'd not have it otherwise. Just as we're allowed to disagree with others interpretations, again, they'd not have it otherwise.

Their like are not amongst us today... We could use a Madison, Jefferson, or Washington right about now.
edit on 7/11/2018 by seagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 12:36 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

If we had a Washington, Madison or Jefferson in today's world, they wouldn't be in politics.

Real values and ideals aren't welcome.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 12:39 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Oh, I think they would be.

Remember what they risked as the leaders of a rebellion against the preeminent global power of that age, or any age it could be argued...

Not just their lives. But their honor. The lives of their families would likely have been forfeit--certainly their fortunes. This wouldn't phase them in the slightest. My humble opinion, of course.
edit on 7/11/2018 by seagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 08:27 AM
link   

I really appreciate your response and totally respect your opinion regarding firearms, I am old enough to have lived in the UK when firearms were legal and now of course they are outlawed (it most circumstances), it has not had a detremental effect on the UK populace

Surely you do not belive that one day the US government will just start rounding up the population and killing them indiscriminately, it was my understanding that we the UK were the biggest threat to the US when the constitution was written, you have my promise that I will never invade your great country, and if your government do take this action then I will fly/swim or drive and stand by your side

again thank you for your polite response and I hope I have been equally polite

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   

since we agree the constitution is open to interpretation,

Actually it's not.

Interpretation is codespeak for IGNORING the hell out of it.

Denial of due process.

Invasion of privacy.

Illegal search and seizure of private property.

The RIGHT to life,liberty and the pursuit of happiness laid out in the 14th.

Institutionalized discrimination.

Of which gun control violates massively.

That's what people mean by interpretation.

Willfully violating civil liberty.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Memories .....

After the president nominated Brett Kavanaugh for a key court vacancy, Democrats sought to obstruct. Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill., resorted to name-calling. The New York Times chimed in to call Kavanaugh “unqualified.”

That’s what happened when President George W. Bush named Kavanaugh to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit in 2003. He was not confirmed by the Senate until 2006.
Here’s What Happened the Last Time Democrats Tried to Deny Brett Kavanaugh a Court Seat

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Just cause you say it that does not mean it's true. Believe what you want

<< 1   >>

join