It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Multiple injuries in South Africa plane crash

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 12:01 PM
link   
A Convair 340 has crashed in South Africa leaving at least 20 people injured, one critically. The aircraft is a Convair 340 belonging to Martin's Air Charter, formerly Martinair. Pictures from the scene show the cockpit and tail broken off, and fire damage to the aircraft. It's thought that the aircraft suffered engine problems.

www.rt.com...

www.mirror.co.uk...

www.enca.com...

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

A Convair 340?

You mean, like this?
aviastar.org...

Things a freakin' relic! I can't believe there's any left in service.

I've actually flown in DC-3's but that was in the 1960's. I can't believe that aircraft was still flight worthy. Its a museum piece.

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 01:05 PM
link   
The aircraft had been donated to the Dutch aviation theme park Aviodrome. It was on a test flight at the time of the crash and was expected to deliver to Lelystad on July 23rd.

One fatality is now being reported.
edit on 7/10/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Surely it takes an enormous amount of courage to be a test pilot.

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Man, that's just really sad. It strikes me that of late........Aviation news is rarely ever "good" news.

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 03:45 PM
link   
They're reporting one pilot and an engineer in the cockpit, which is where the fatality occurred. They impacted a factory near the airport, injuring two people there. The left engine was smoking as they got airborne.

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

A Convair 340?

You mean, like this?
aviastar.org...

Things a freakin' relic! I can't believe there's any left in service.

I've actually flown in DC-3's but that was in the 1960's. I can't believe that aircraft was still flight worthy. Its a museum piece.

Why? The DC-3 is a lot older and there are still a bunch of them airworthy.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Cohen the Barbarian

From what I've read, the DC-3's still in service were extensively gone through and remanufactured. I'd read some years ago for example, that an Australian company had bought a score or more of them and then essentially remanned them at a facility there.

Also as well, the DC-3 is a far simpler aircraft and probably better built to begin with.

But that's just my opinion. See:
archive.jsonline.com...

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Not all of them underwent the turbo upgrade. Both the DC-3 and Convair have a decent record though. Until very recently they were flying a Convair regularly out of Phoenix, and I still occasionally see one picking up cargo there, as well as coming out of El Paso.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 09:44 AM
link   
As of two years ago there were several DC-3s flying inter-island hops in the Bahamas.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 09:51 AM
link   

That's all quite true. There is one significant difference however as to any of these aircraft flying about Africa. I know, I lived in Africa..............they simply don't get the expert care necessary to keep them safe; not enough parts, not enough qualified mechanics. Many are literaly flown until they can no longer take off.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 09:55 AM
link   

True, but this one was being restored to send to a theme park, so it would have been gone over carefully before the flight. Either something was missed, or something just broke after being tested.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Not all of them underwent the turbo upgrade. Both the DC-3 and Convair have a decent record though. Until very recently they were flying a Convair regularly out of Phoenix, and I still occasionally see one picking up cargo there, as well as coming out of El Paso.

In my travels around Africa and Asia, I see quite a few Convairs still in service. Most are the turboprop conversion of the 440 to the 580. The Convairs and Martins of that era were the first really modern airliners. Tricycle gear, galleys (sort of), lots of soundproofing, and much faster than the DC-3s.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Another angle of the takeoff. It's hard to tell if the prop stutter is the camera shutter speed, or something with the engine, but you can clearly hear the engine having problems as it goes by the person filming.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Back in early 1980's (1982) took DC 3 from Ft Lauderdale to one of the outer Bahama island (San Salvador) to a resort there

Was fun flying ……...

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: firerescue

They are a blast! If i was a billionaire, I'd buy one.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I actually know the command pilot. He is the company A-380 chief pilot and check Captain. In fact I fueled and departed him right before he headed to Sth Africa for this job. He is a good man, very relaxed and professional, the kind of pilot who doesn't throw hissy fits when things aren't perfect and professionally respectful of engineers, unlike a couple of his colleagues including a certain one from a well known incident. I hear he has been fairly badly injured and the company has released a press statement saying they will offer any assistance to him, his recently retired colleague and his injured wife who were all on board. Such a shame to loose this aircraft too.

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

They are a blast! If i was a billionaire, I'd buy one.

You don't have to be a billionaire. You can find a decent DC-3 with mid time engines for $50-60,000. Now if you want a PT-6 conversion 3, it will be at least a million.

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 01:21 PM
link   

1985 I rode a DC-3 from Andros Island (AUTEC) to Jacksonville, FL. When I got on I saw the manufacturer's name plate. It said 1943 for the date of construction. I'll never forget the Stewardess. Tall, blonde and drop dead gorgeous. The woman had been around. It took her exactly five minutes to put twenty sailors in their place.

posted on Sep, 9 2019 @ 03:32 PM
link   
The pilots did nothing to put the engine fire out, and despite someone going forward and telling them about the fire, weren't sure which engine was on fire. The engine manifold pressure started fluctuating at 50 knots, but the takeoff was continued.

Both pilots were type rated, but neither held South African certification. Both had foreign licenses and had failed to obtain the required certification for them from the government. Neither had performed a competency exam either, despite not having flown the type for 17 months. The aircraft itself hadn't flown in 5 months.

www.flightglobal.com...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join