It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Op shopping..wish I had more money

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Went to Habitat for Humanity op shop today looking for a cat cage. Such an awesome op shop and such a good cause. No cat cage found but saw heaps of really cool clothes. This op shop is just around the corner from a film studio. I have seen costumes from previous productions, so I knew these had to from some film or theatre show.

Anyways it turns out the clothes were from The Shannara Chronicles movies. They were also selling some of the furniture and props.

Wish I had some spare cash. I usually go in there and come out with a rubbish sack full of clothes.

They also sell unwanted building supplies like brand new bathroom sinks etc. If you own a house and survive on a low income and you need urgent repairs to your house they will get a team (you must help too) to repair your house up to $10,000 worth which you pay back as you can even if it's only five dollars a week. They do so much more than that as well. I always take my unwanted stuff to this op shop.

Anyways tell me your op shop stories.

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 06:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Cloudbuster

Anyways tell me your op shop stories.

Whats an op?
Is that a a thrift store??

Assuming it is a thrift store...I love thrift stores.
I get $90 jeans there for $10.

edit on 10-7-2018 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 06:23 AM
link   
a reply to: DrumsRfun

Oh yeah Thrift Shop for those who speak different English. I guess op stands for opportunity

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Maybe I should edited my title if I knew how. Maybeop shop means something else in your parts.

edit on 10-7-2018 by Cloudbuster because: Spelling duh

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 06:26 AM
link   

I am a huge deal hunter...thrift stores are gold!!
I love dollar stores as well.

Never heard of op shop....no clue what that was until I read it again.
edit on 10-7-2018 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Ooo yes can't leave a dollar shop without spending at least a dollar. There is one dollar shop near me that was selling a blow up paddle pool for kids but the box cover said Poop Up Pool instead of pop up. Use to Crack me and my kids up every time we took a photo of it.

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Bought 3 shirts Sun...high quality brand names...one for $1.40, the other $3.10...Value World in Michigan...an "op" store.

1 in store would been prob.$25-30...the other around $12....we go 'cause that's the cheap places for donated-help others...t-shirts, jeans, sweaters, jackets.

Salvation army, Value World, Goodwill, Tried and true thrift stops...all ridiculously priced good condition new or slightly used...

And some have weekly 1/2 off prices...so a Northwest Territory flannel $25 for $3.-1/2 off was $1 1/2 bucks!

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 09:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cloudbuster

Oh yeah Thrift Shop for those who speak different English. I guess op stands for opportunity

I have never heard of an “Op” shop either.

I think Habitat is a good charity. I usually donate anything usable I have to them from my rehabs. There is a lot of good stuff I get from simply upgrading fixtures and hardware when I am updating a home I am flipping.

I also donate to St. Vincent de Paul and Goodwill depending on what I find. Old attics tend to have a lot of interesting treasures.
edit on 2018/7/10 by Metallicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 09:15 AM
link   

From the charity shop across the street, I have had:

A long leather coat, which probably would have been worth close to £300, but was sold to me for £35

A dining jacket, silk lapels and lining, the original price of which I cannot even begin to speculate on, for £20

A proper pool cue, screw together job for a tenner

A metric crap tonne of leather bracelets, gauntlets and other assorted metalhead gear, sold to me for about £3 per item on average, which I have used to mod my battle jacket, cut, whatever you call it these days

A ring for £2.50

Various shirts and T-shirts over the years...

Basically, some of the coolest crap I own, bought dirt, DIRT cheap.

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Op shop:

Noun

op shop (plural op shops)

(Australia, New Zealand) A shop, usually operated by a charity, to which new or used goods are donated, for sale at a low price.

en.wiktionary.org...

The Salvation Army runs most of those around here. Most of my furniture came from there. You can get some really good stuff cheap. You have to shop them though. The one closest to me is almost as expensive as buying new.

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 02:05 PM
link   

I will only buy tshirts from second hand shops. Who breaks in their own tshirts?

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Florida is God's Waiting Room, so you can bet we have a lot of thrift stores. And antique stores. Really find a lot of cool stuff around here.

Furniture is tricky though. These places rarely know how to price it right.

For big ticket items, sites like Facebook yard sale sites, Craigslist, etc. are often MUCH better. I've bought lots of solid wood furniture for CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP.

For our guest room, I got a solid wood king sized bed, with a shelved headboard, matching dressers, for just over $100. I'll have to post a pic when it's all set up.

Bought a 4 poster (solid wood) queen bed, that my daughter now has, and got it for $100 even.
edit on 10-7-2018 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

top topics

join