It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most reliably cycling 22LR auto

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Lazarus Short

Magazine. Clips feed magazines. Magazines feed the chamber.

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Iconic
a reply to: Lazarus Short

Magazine. Clips feed magazines. Magazines feed the chamber.

I knew that, but was picking up from the poster I quoted, who used "clip."

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 10:26 AM
link   
If you want something between 22LR and 9mm, then why not something like a 25 or 32? The rounds are a little more rare, but it shouldn't be difficult to find them. I'm sure there are a lot of small guns in these calibers and would be very easy to handle and control, let alone conceal.

Going a different route, there is a pretty nice gun, from what I have seen, that is a 22 magnum and it holds 30 rounds in the pistol! It is made by Kel-tec and it has a polymer body so it is extremely light, the whole gun, loaded weighs about the same as a magazine (30 round) of an AR-15 I think. Kel-tec's are actually pretty nice guns for the price, even though some people are snobs about them. They aren't Hi-tec's or anything (the brand) which may rightly deserve their criticism.

www.keltecweapons.com...

The 22 mag is a nice round for someone to control, especially a new shooter. If they are "gun shy" about the recoil while pulling the trigger, they may loose a lot of accuracy and with the 22 mag, this is almost never a problem, and with self defense, it doesn't matter the size of the bullet if you don't hit anything. Having 30 rounds that can be emptied in a few seconds accurately is truly an amazing feat and I'd think it would be better than having a 10-15 round 9mm for many reasons. Ballistics are awesome for the 22 mag as well, they make some decent self defense rounds that I sure wouldn't want to be hit with.

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I use CCI stingers in my Walther pp22.
Works like a champ.
I have had a few fail to ejects using cheap ammo.
I've dropped a 250 lb wild boar with it.

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Just get a revolver for her.

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
I use CCI stingers in my Walther pp22.
Works like a champ.
I have had a few fail to ejects using cheap ammo.
I've dropped a 250 lb wild boar with it.

That reminds me of what I did to my .45 auto - I bought a Ciener .22 conversion kit. It worked so well that I was inspired to have a throat and feed ramp job done on it. It was all money well spent.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 12:42 AM
link   
My vote would be for a .380

Just started using my new Ruger 10/22 with a banana clip, no probs at all. I like it a lot.

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 06:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Whoisjohngalt

check out the Beretta Tomcat, 32 acp but better than 22. no need to work the slide at all.

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyingFox
My vote would be for a .380

Just started using my new Ruger 10/22 with a banana clip, no probs at all. I like it a lot.

*cough-magazine-cough* is it one of the Ruger brand BX-25 mags? I’ve had a lot of problems with them in my new 10/22 takedown the problem being tons of side to side and front to back slop, on my 20 year old 10/22 there’s not nearly as much slop and cycles reliably, I’m pretty disappointed in the new 10/22s or mine was just a bit of a lemon seems the quality has gone down.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: botay

Actually .25 and .32 really are worse than .22lr as far as defensive use. To put it bluntly they have no real business existing, that's how bad they are.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: roguetechie
a reply to: botay

Actually .25 and .32 really are worse than .22lr as far as defensive use. To put it bluntly they have no real business existing, that's how bad they are.

Yes and no they are better as far as reliability in ignition being center-fire but I do agree that .22LR is more ballistically capable.

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: BigDave-AR

Right. My personal feeling is that .380 is about the minimum defensive handgun caliber anyone should depend on. But that's due to ammunition availability more than anything else.

Simply put, it's the smallest thing you can get truly modern defensive ammunition in. Modern defensive ammunition has a combination of load development, projectile development, and reliability enhancement tweaks done to it which makes it just plain much more deadly and debilitating in a consistent manner which is vitally important for someone who will very likely put all but one or two shots from their magazine into something that is not the bad guy!

I also disagree extremely strongly with giving people who are unlikely to practice much if at all a revolver, because frankly you might as well save yourself the money buy them a rape whistle and tell them good luck in such cases! It's as stupid as Joe Biden's infamous shotgun wisdom, with that exact same noisemaker as defensive implement idiotic lack of connection with the real world.

All in all though the biggest factor behind my advocating for a .380 here is that someone could give me one as my only means of defense and I wouldn't feel under armed. It's very much a caliber which will do the job asked of it while being very user friendly and capable.

I also can't articulate how stupid I feel for having sold my Remington Model 51 in .380 in anticipation of the new release modernized 9mm versions which wound up a joke.

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: roguetechie
It’s pretty impressive how much modern self defense loads have made a big difference especially in .380 they’ve gone from pretty anemic to a viable self defense round. One of the worst trends right now is the over compensating derringers In insane calibers like in .45-70! That’s just absurd I thought the Cobray “Ladies Home Campanion” .45-70 revolver based of the banned street sweeper was special (Check at Forgotten Weapons YT channel to see that gem), but seriously you start getting to the point where your likely to more damage to yourself than the intended target to me at best there just fun conversation pieces I’d never buy one personally.

I’ve instituted a no sell policy on my firearms if I happen to get something that’s utter crap I’ll try and tune it up and if it’s still terrible I’ll trade it towards something better but usually I’m able to massage em into functioning reliably. Can never have to many noisey toys!

edit on 7/15/2018 by BigDave-AR because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 11:11 PM
link   
a reply to: BigDave-AR

I've got the same no sell policy in effect myself, it's good to hear that others believe in integrity.

Luckily for me I've been a kit builder, a hobby machinist, and a DIY guy for years and years (and compulsively hunt blueprints and production documentation) so there are almost minisculely few things I cannot save or otherwise transform into something of value.

As an example, I have both a "chichizola" and "almara" machine pistol inspired home built fun guns.

My chichizola is in 7.62x25 has a spring loaded folding magwell, and a recoil system that would make it extremely interesting to see just how it would perform as a post sample.

I would really like to see something like a 7mm penna or 7.92 vbr modern sub 9 handgun and subgun round actually take off in the marketplace very much though.

Because Frankly, we are being massively held back by the ancient nature of common pistol chamberings!

9mm is in reality too large of a round already to really be ideal for the uses we put it to, and it gets far worse from there.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 12:01 AM
link   
The most reliable .22 pistols that I know of are the Ruger MK Series, Browning Buckmark series, and Beretta. Though I did have a Sterling .22 that was reliable but you would have better luck luck throwing rocks more accurately at 5 yards.

As for a .22 semi-auto rifle the Ruger 10-22 is the standard to beat.
That said the quality of your .22 won't matter if you buy ammo that isn't of good quality.
The ammo I'd buy would be CCI, as far as I know they make some of the most reliable .22 ammo, that said .22's will never be as reliable as a centerfire due to the way rimfire firearms and their ammunition operates. Particular how they are primed, the reasons militarizes don't issue any rimfire firearms is because of ammunition reliability issues which are inherent of the rimfire cartridge design.

Because of the iffy reliability I stick to centerfire even if it is more expensive to shoot.
A Glock 19 is pretty much all the handgun I need, unless I was in an area with a higher chance of bear threats,then I might pack a large bore revolver. I actually even taught a first time shooter with my Glock 19 and they didn't find the recoil too bad after I helper her adjust her grip.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 09:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
a reply to: Whoisjohngalt

Back a few years ago when I was digging into .22LR of varying makes the conclusion I got from most articles and reviews were that stovepiping was an ammo issue and not necessarily a todo with the action.

It's the ammo, not the guns. Hot rounds like CCI Stingers generate too much recoil while others not enough for the ammo to feed properly. Each gun is unique in that and must be tried using various brands of ammo to find the one that will reliably feed. Holds true for semi-auto rifles as well but pistols are particularly difficult in this regard.

Fine polishing the throat and keeping your gun clean and well-oiled should keep the issue to a minimum.
edit on 2-8-2018 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join