It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chronicles of Riddick space scene

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 11:19 PM
link   
This is kinda random, but the newest Chronicles of Riddick movie that was just in the theaters not too long ago has the most realistic space imagery I've ever seen. It really makes you melt as to how beautiful outer space really is.

It also makes you curse George Lucas for using the old "blackness full of white dots" type of space imagery for his Star Wars movies. If he'd utilize real space imagery, those movies would be truly awe-inspiring, showing what space really looks like.

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I never saw the movie (nor did I have any ambition to do so) so do you think you could plop a few pictures in here for us to see? Because as for random movies go, most never have good space imagery, so I find it hard to believe a Vin Diesel movie did.

As for a "blackness full of white dots" being what space is... have you ever looked at the sky on a clear night? What do you see? Blackness full of colored dots. Astronauts see the same thing. The fancy images of nebulae, galaxies, and everything else are take through telescopes with long exposures on the film.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Sadly the film was so dull and generally awful, I didn't get far enough into it to see anything that you are talking about. After about 20 minutes tops I had had so much to drink to try and numb the pain I was in no condition to continue the horrifying experience.
Even though I'd paid to rent it out a felt I was getting my money's worth more by not continuing the gruelling experience of watching it..

[edit on 21-2-2005 by AgentSmith]

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 01:39 AM
link   
I thought the movie was a lot better than I thought it would be. But then again, I like pretty much any sci-fi movie.

NOW!...the space scenes in Contact. That was truly awe-inspiring.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 01:49 AM
link   
I liked the movie, and have it on dvd. I think the people who didn't enjoy it as much dont like sci-fi movies or didn't see "Pitch Black".

Not sure what "space scene" you talking about? But it might be this...I found a gif.
Gif clip

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 01:58 AM
link   
The space scenery from the various outer space scenes that shows outer space.

When you see outer space compared to how George Lucas portrays it in his movies, it is a lot different looking. Yes, both have darkness with lots of white dots, but George's doesn't look the same. There is just something very fake about it.

The space scenery from Contact and the space scenery in the Riddick movie are about equal I'd say.

You people who say the riddick movie was awful, I'd have to disagree, as it was obviously meant to be the way it as made (a bit corny obviously). I didn't think it was bad if you coul get past that. Sort of how the Star WArs movies are made on purpose to be corny; it isn't as if Lucas tries to make them serious but fails.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 02:18 AM
link   
What I liked about Riddick space, it's a harsh cyperpunk envrronment, with pitfalls everywhere, while George Lucas paints a romantic story on comfy black velvet.

Also, I thought the scenes with the big battle ships floating in the atmosphere and the anti-grav propulsion putting distortion around the hull really cool.

Partypoppers!

[edit on 21-2-2005 by Countermeasures]

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 02:52 AM
link   
i liked the film too, and i was wondering after i watched it why did it get so much bad press and bad reviews? i thought it fitted into the pitch black tie in well and the film in general was good and ploded along nicely, go watch some other films recently released that got good revies but seemed plop to me.

E_T

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Yeah, space is mostly just empty dark place.
Even from so small distance away as Pluto's orbit sun barely differs from other stars. (would show as bright dot like brightest planets)

So althought (colourful) nebulas might look esthetic they're not really realistic.

www.babtech-onthe.net...

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 04:21 AM
link   
I thought Chronicles of Riddick was an excellent sci-fi film with a rich world and a cool cyberpunk theme. It was actually the movie who made me stand up and realise Vin Diesel isn't really as bad as I thought, Riddick is such a great role for him.

I don't know why the movie got such bad review because it kicked ass. The game is brilliant as well, a recommended buy.

thanks,
drfunk

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 07:19 AM
link   
because movie reviewers are dorks, that´s why. you can argue about diesels acting abilities, but riddick was the best scifi-flick last year and that is an archivement. perfect setdesign and a story that does not have top hide behind "dune"(far better than the miniseries), in fact the movie with some minor changes would have perfectly fit into the dune-universe.

to the people who say it was bad please tell me:bad compared to what??? you dont like scifi? ok, dont watch it, but do not tell me riddick was a bad scifi-flick.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Sadly the film was so dull and generally awful, I didn't get far enough into it to see anything that you are talking about. After about 20 minutes tops I had had so much to drink to try and numb the pain I was in no condition to continue the horrifying experience.

i thought that at the start but i actually got really into it later on,i think you needed to see the first movie to get the 'feel' for it?

actually my opinion counts for dick because i'll watch anything space orientated!

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I thought the special effects in Cronicles were great...especially as the 'invaders' landed on the planet. It's a movie which will be a fine addition to my collection of sci-fi.
Vin was perfect for the part, btw...a real renegade with an attitude was called forand, voila...who else but Vin could be that existential?

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Back on topic folks, please. We're not reviewing the The Chronicles of Riddick, or any other movie for that matter. We're talking about how the imagery supposedly looks real.

If the videos that E_T and Murcielago provided are what you were talking about, then no, the majority of space is nothing like that. Sure, there are nebulae and galxies and what not, but the way they are protrayed in those videos are, as E_T said, unrealistic.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Mine was from the Chronicles of Riddick...I have no clue where ET got his from...it doesn't even look like it was from a movie, I would guess some sci-fi fan who is good with computers and graphics took awhile and made his own little scene...because its to poor to be from a movie.

E_T

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago
Mine was from the Chronicles of Riddick...I have no clue where ET got his from...it doesn't even look like it was from a movie, I would guess some sci-fi fan who is good with computers and graphics took awhile and made his own little scene...because its to poor to be from a movie.
It's from Babylon 5 second season episode "The Coming of Shadows" (which won Hugo award)... first ever large scale/continuous use of CGIs in TV show was in B5 and episode was propably made at the end of 1994 with budget for whole 22 episode season being same as budget for couple ST episodes!

www.midwinter.com...

I think they even had cluster of 486s crunching numbers for second season, at least they started first season with Amigas.

top topics

join