It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Counterculture Author Hunter S. Thompson Commits Suicide

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 01:31 AM
link   
This news has truly upset me, my stomach turned when I saw the Headline. I just can't believe it for the simple fact that he never struck me as the type to do something like that, although he was always unpredictable...
I love his work and he will be sorely missed.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 01:32 AM
link   
I'll smoke a joint for him when I get my check =( very very sad indeed =(

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Hunter S. Thompson, was a poet, an icon, a pioneer, a warrior, a rock n roll star and an inspiration.

His work revolutionised and inspired, his character and good heart demand our respect for all time.

Dr Thompson was never afraid to Attack! swine, and he never allowed the swine to silence him or get in the way of his truth.

The corrupted couldn't beat him, not in this life, not in the next, he beat the swine back more than once - no matter what dirty trick they tried to play, he always saw them, he knew they were always working at destroying Free Thought and Free Expression.

"Songs of the doomed", "Generation of swine", "Great Shark Hunt", "Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas", "Kingdom of Fear" - these writings and others, stoked the fires that consume my Heart full of Hate.

Dr Thompson inspired me, if he could walk unafraid, what was stopping me?

With "Fear and Loathing on The Campaign Trail 1972" Dr Thompson ripped off the Band-Aid that hid the destruction of the American Dream, he saw in 1972 what America is only beginning to realise on a mass scale, his country, the land he loved, had lost - it's dream had been utterly corrupted and destroyed by Evil Corrupt Political Pigs.

His writings gave us a glimpse of his pure heart, the parts of him he refused to allow the swine to touch or manipulate. The Doctor knew what was best for us, we needed Love, we needed Peace and we needed to not get arrested, whatever the case. If we could keep out of jail, then the Doctor reasoned that we were winning against the forces of darkness.

Hunter S. Thompson knew who the swine were, he pointed out to us why they were swine, and he never let them forget they were swine.

His work politically inspired generations of free thinkers, during his life.

In death, I hope his work inspires millions more.

His death seems senseless, to me, but he was a private man, this much I understand.

I also understand I have deep respect and love for the man and his work. I understand nothing else right now.

Gonzo Journalism is his legacy, Gonzo is having the ability to report the facts and stories you know, from your own point of view, using your own perceptions to work out what's going on in your eyes, not relying on the minds that want to suppress and destruct dreams and truth to understand which way the real winds blow.

He lit fires in our minds, he brought hope to the hopeless, he politicized and revolutionized, and his recent work is as relevant to now as his work in 1972 was to then.

He may have written what he classed as "songs of the doomed", but his work instilled within counter-culture and free thinkers, a hope.

The hope that we can turn it around, we can change the world, we can make the bastards pay, and that we can win.

Dr Thompson wrote that we could change everything, right NOW! If only we could get our # together, stand up together, and stop letting the swine win.

Res Ipsa Loquitur? Perhaps today more than ever, we need to let the good times roll, we need to celebrate the life of a great man, rejoice that he was here, amongst us, showing us the way. I'm going to go out today and celebrate his life. I can't believe what's happened, can't get it into my head.

he once wrote the following about Senator Paul Simon (no not that one) of Illinois: "He projects that rarest of things in politics - an awesome sense of integrity and commitment and utter conviction. that is pure magic in politics" - He went on to contradict himself only a page later (see "anguish" quote below), but that was Dr Thompsons' strength: no matter how jaded it became, or how much it seemed we were going to be overrun by the forces of darkness, in his writings he held a deep belief that good people could come through, and that goodness within people, should not be marked down as "lost forever".

The quote above regarding "integrity commitment and conviction" can be applied to Dr Thompson, he had all three qualities in unlimited abundance.

That he believed there were Diamonds amongst the Dog#, and that his faith in people seemed unquestionable, is something we should take strength in. I believed in Hunter S. Thompson.

I send my love to those who loved him.

paul methven
www.analogue.org.uk

"Buy the ticket, take the ride"

"that is the problem with this rich and anguished generation, somewhere, a long time ago, they fell in love with the idea that politicians - even the slickest and brightest presidential candidates-were real heroes and truly exciting people. That is wrong on its face, They are mainly dull people with corrupt instincts and criminal children" Hunter S. Thompson July 6 1987

"Four more years of George Bush will be like four more years of syphilis," the famed author said yesterday at a hastily called press conference near his home in Woody Creek, Colorado. "Only a fool or a sucker would vote for a dangerous loser like Bush," Dr. Thompson warned. "He hates everything we stand for".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 02:25 AM
link   
To be honest it wouldn't surprise me if turned out he was made aware he had cancer or some other illness and decided to take the quick route, at least that's what I hope...

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 03:02 AM
link   
If I was not at work I would have raised a pint or two in his memory. As previous posters said Thompson had that rare quality: You may not have agreed with him on issues, but he was such a compelling human being you simply could not put his books down

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Is it possible he was murdered? I hate to be the only one to bring this up, but it should be considered a possibility. He was not popular with the powers that be, and he did insult the president. Remember what Barbara Bush said, if you insult her kids or come after her family she'll kill you. I'm convinced, Barbara did it with the revolver in the library.

I sure did enjoy his books, and wish he had written more. If I were invited to his funeral I would congratulate him on his life in this fashion;

"He was a good man, a fine warrior pygmy who tirelessly defended his way of life against the rampaging elephant of government and corporate control. The darts he shot at the beast were numerous and his aim was true. Here's to the warriors of words and verse!"

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 05:01 AM
link   
What terrible news, it brought me to tears when i saw it, i am still in shock, HST was a remarkable author. I Read many of his books and love his work, this man inspired to to write and to read, he was a diffrent man, a rightous man, he did what he belived what was right regardless of the consequence, why now?

I can't help but look into the reasons for this, personaly i always thought he would go out on some overdose or something, was he so apaulded by the NBA all-star game, He was a sports fanatic. I always would look forward when he would write articles on ESPN page 2. HE used to write one a week, latly we were lucky to get one a month. He wrote his last one on feb. 15, and it was random nothing ness.

We have just lost an icon, a true American Hero, a man that never stoped serching for the American Dream, i just hope he found it. R.I.P. Dr.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 05:55 AM
link   
While not as versed in his works as others may be, what I did see conviced me that Mr. Thompson was an extraodinary person. I always imagined that he would go out in some crazy manner, but I neven though he would commit sucide.

He will be missed.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Has anyone read his final novel yet? I searched for it on Amazon.com. On the cover you can see him wearing a shiny golden (olympic?) medallion. Could there be a deeper symbolic meaning to this or am I just being paranoid?

Amazon.com

*Edited in Url Tag

[edit on 21-2-2005 by TrickmastertricK]

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Yes this is shocking. I grew up reading Hunter's books and I feel terible for his family. As for Hunter, what the hell was he thinking? What a selfish thing to do. His family is hurt and all those people that loved him don't deserve that. I hope Hunter burns. There is no excuse for for what he did. What credibility does his writings hold now? The guy was an looser to do this and I hope he's realizing that now. What a dick.

[edit on 21-2-2005 by Kieser Sosay]

[edit on 21-2-2005 by Kieser Sosay]

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 08:31 AM
link   
I have never heard of him.
Sorry to see everyone upset by this.
Suicide is always a tragedy.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Rest in peace Mr Thompson

I'm sure you will be well taken care of...

[edit on 21-2-2005 by negativenihil]

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I guess the lesson learned here is not to write negative books about Bush.

See ya Hunter.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I heard about this around 2 this morning. I sent an email to a good friend of mine saying, "The Duke is dead
!"

This really is too bad, I enjoyed Fear and Loathing almost as much as I did SLC Punk. Wonder what Doonesbury is going to do...

You will be missed, Hunter, yet your selfishness throughout life came to fruition through the ultimate act of selfishness. I do apperciate your writing, though.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas was simply a masterpeice from a GENIUS...

R.I.P. Gonzo...

m...

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I guess this means there won't be a 'Freak Power' ticket in 2008.

What a terrible slap in the face for anyone associated with the sort of lifestyle he was involved in, what an utter vindication of the 'greedy little hustlers' and car-salesmen that he so thouroughly loathed, to kill himself at such an age after so many years of boozing and using and reporting.

I had thought that this was also the end of 'gonzo' journalism, but apparently Tom Wolfe and 'Gay Talese' do it also, making the reporter an integral part of the reporting.

But, I mean, how often were those guys ravaging down a florida stree in a red convertible snorting lines of coke off of the plastically enhanced breasts of blonde bimbos?

Christ, what the # did this guy kill himself over? He had just gotten married, and was still publishing articles in espn on apparently any topic he wanted, and I'd gotten the impression that he was becoming more popular.

Maybe one can only live in a fortified mountain compound before long.

I recall him saying in an interview that, after he's dead, he'd like woody creek to be filled with a clear plastic preservative, so that you could visit it and see it like a musuem, maybe with him inside if. I doubt that would be the case now, especially with a shotgun wound, but its a curious thought.

Expect profuse tears and eulogies from hipsters to follow.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kieser Sosay
What a dick.

My thoughts exactly when I read your post.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
I have never heard of him.

He was a prolific journalist/author of the previous generation, still active until recently too. Very, very, much a politics junkie, as he described it. He wrote an extraordinary book on the 1972 presidential election, between nixon and mcgovern, in which he was reporting on most of the people running for the democratic nomination. Its really incredible too because you get to see how the poltical machinery operates, strategically and even tactically, even inside the convention itself. Thompson also ran, and very nearly won, the position of sheriff for Aspen, Colorado, on a 'Freak Power' ticket. It was sort of a backlash against the just then begining 'gentrification' of all of aspen by the local folk against the rich and elite who made it into the vacation haven its supposed to be today.
some links.
Breakfast with Hunter
Ralph Steadman, Thompson's illustrator, really interetsing stuff.
An effort... to digitize [a] collection of Hunternalia.
interestingly I can't view that site where I am, its restricted.
ESPN Article Archive
A wikipedia entry
West Virginia University Page of links relevant to him

Thompson was also a close personal friend, apparently, of a two-bit attorney named 'Oscar Acosta' who was heavily involved in the 'chicano' 'Brown Power' (as opposed to black power) movement who wrote several books about it, including
Uncollected Works
Revolt of the Cockroach People
Autobiography of a Brown Buffalo

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 11:04 AM
link   
A truly unique individual. I remember watching the special features on Fear and Loathing with Hunter, including his letters to Johnny Depp... really neat to watch. Very captivating individual that will greatly be missed.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 11:09 AM
link   
He was definitely ... interesting.

Thompson started off as maybe a Jack Kerouac wannabee, but certainly surpassed him, at least in the minds of his followers.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join