It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Counterculture Author Hunter S. Thompson Commits Suicide

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Counterculture author Hunter S. Thompson, author of "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" and outers has apparently committed suicide. The suicide has been confirmed by Aspen, Colorado Sheriffs officials.

story.news.yahoo.com
ASPEN, Colo. - Hunter S. Thompson, the acerbic counter-culture author of books such as "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas," fatally shot himself Sunday night at his Aspen-area home, his son said. He was 67.

"Hunter prized his privacy and we ask that his friends and admirers respect that privacy as well as that of his family," Juan Thompson said in a statement released to the Aspen Daily News.

Pitkin County Sheriff Bob Braudis, a personal friend of Thompson, confirmed the death to the News. Sheriff's officials did not return calls to The Associated Press late Sunday.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is a developing story and few details are available about this time. Hunters recent book "Hey Rube: Blood Sport, the Bush Doctrine and the Downward Spiral of Dumbness Modern History from the Sports Desk" took a critical look at politics, sports and other subjects. Thompson was 67.

[edit on 20-2-2005 by Banshee]

[edit on 21-2-2005 by John bull 1]

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Oh my god.... this is terribly sad. He was an icon.
He'll be missed.

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 10:36 PM
link   
this is incredibly upsetting.

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I don't believe it! I never thought he would go out like that.

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I can't believe it either. I am starting to get into his books and I loved his humor and his style. He'll surely be missed

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I'll have to re-watch the movie Where The Buffalo Roam tomorrow morning now.

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I wonder if seeing Bush reelected was the final straw. This is from a Rolling Stone article he did shortly before the election:

I look at elections with the cool and dispassionate gaze of a professional gambler, especially when I'm betting real money on the outcome. Contrary to most conventional wisdom, I see Kerry with five points as a recommended risk. Kerry will win this election, if it happens, by a bigger margin than Bush finally gouged out of Florida in 2000. That was about forty-six percent, plus five points for owning the U.S. Supreme Court -- which seemed to equal fifty-one percent. Nobody really believed that, but George W. Bush moved into the White House anyway.

*snip*

"Four more years of George Bush will be like four more years of syphilis," the famed author said yesterday at a hastily called press conference near his home in Woody Creek, Colorado. "Only a fool or a sucker would vote for a dangerous loser like Bush," Dr. Thompson warned. "He hates everything we stand for, and he knows we will vote against him in November."

*snip*

Bush is a natural-born loser with a filthy-rich daddy who pimped his son out to rich oil-mongers. He hates music, football and sex, in no particular order, and he is no fun at all. Rolling Stone

Love him or hate him - Thompson was an icon who rarely minced words and was always true to his ideals.

B.

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 10:47 PM
link   
No way!!!

Rest in Peace

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 10:52 PM
link   
That's really sad.

His work was fantastic; I'll miss him.

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 10:56 PM
link   
ohhh THIS is sad news indeed. I so enjoyed reading his stuff, his take on things and his skewed look at life was very refreshing......

I yelled out "OHHHH NOOOOO!" when I say this headline......

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 11:00 PM
link   
How sad this news is. He definitely had a different way of looking at things. While I hadn't had a chance to read the book Fear and Loathing, the movie is one of my all time favorites. Sad loss.

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Oh that's terrible. He was more than a writer to me... he was a model of living your own way in a society that's somekind of spiritual jailhouse where everybody's enslaved by fear and materialism. Why him???

Okay, he was old, had most of his life behind him... and I guess he could not live anymore in a country that deteriorated to the point of being a wasteland of Wal Marts, SUVs and paranoid neocons. I understand him for that.

Rest in Peace, old buddy.

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Gosh. I don't even know what to say. I just have a terrible chill up my spine and its very sad

The bright side, is that he didn't go without inspiring and captivating a lot of people first. He will continue to do so...

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Sucks

First Hemingway, and now this.

I'm sorry to see him go, and especially sorry to see him go like this.

May peace be upon him.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 12:43 AM
link   
We have lost a national treasure. I hoist my glass, hang my head, and bid adieu to one of the greats.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Hunter S Thompson, the American counterculture writer, has been found dead at his home in Colorado.
He shot himself and his body was found by his son, Juan. He was 67.

He is best-known for his 1972 account of a drug-addled Nevada trip, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Other books are Hells Angels and Generation of Swine.

He pioneered "gonzo journalism", a factual style in which the writer was an essential part of the story, and was an acute observer of American life.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 12:47 AM
link   
That is truly sad.

Anyone that can party with the Hells Angels is alright in my book

He will be missed

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Well, it certainly puts him in good company--Hemingway, Van Gogh, Plath, Woolf, Cobain, Eastman, etc. I wonder what Trudeau will do with the Thompson-like character.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna
I don't believe it! I never thought he would go out like that.

Funny, but somehow, its exactly how I though he would go. I couldnt see him laying in a hospital bed clinging to some shred of life. He went out on his own terms. The same as he lived....RIP Hunter...

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 01:30 AM
link   
[edit on 21-2-2005 by Steve Zissou]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join