It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Onyx Knife Handle I Made

page: 1

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 09:50 AM
link   
So i've been working on this off and on for a few weeks and finally finished it this weekend and thought i'd share. I acquired this knife a while ago but I wasn't a big fan of the handle so I replaced it with a piece of rainbow onyx that was leftover from a job at the granite shop I work at. I think it turned out pretty nice, better than the plastic at least.

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: dug88

Absolutely Awesome!

I'm really impressed, I suggest you by a bunch of blades and make more..I bet you would make a killing on Etsy or craft fairs, seriously!

Excellent craftsmanship!

S & F !

Respectfully,
~meathead

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Mike Stivic

Thanks a lot really appreciate it. Yeah i've made a few other things some pipes and jewelry. But i've got a few more different kinds of stone that would be good for knife handles. I've looked into getting some hunting knife blanks and there's a guy I was thinking of getting in touch with that forges custom knife blades and such.

The only thing about this kinda stuff is I have to find time at work to do some of it. I have some hand tools and some small power tools. But for stuff like onyx and harder stones I need to use the diamond saws and air polishers and grinders at work. Sadly stonework is an expensive hobby even using scrap material from work. Soapstone and alabaster are pretty easy to do by hand. But anything else you need power tools.
edit on 9/7/2018 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Awesome. Nice job !!

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Looks heavy, but nice work and something unique to pass along to your son or daughter. There's a very easy technique to patina the blade using vinegar or even normal squirty mustard from most kitchens.

I'm a fan of custom knife work and respect anyone who has the motivation to create their own handles. Have you seen the engravings by fellow staffer AskTheAnimals? Pretty good, eh?

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Wow i've never seen his art before. That's amazing thanks for showing me that. Those are really awesome. I really like the engraving and inlay work.

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 02:17 PM
link   

There's a lot of talented people on ATS.

If you catch the custom bug, there are sites selling 'blanks' so owners can design their own handles from scratch. Link for an example.

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 03:24 PM
link   

It is just gorgeous! I agree with Mike Stivic in that you should sell these! Awesome job!

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Start small, buy a few "blank blades" and work on the stone at work when you can..it doesn't matter how long it takes...you are good at it and you seem to enjoy it..do it on break/lunch and when you sell them consider it overtime

For sure even if you didn't want to sell them. And I can understand that ,it seems like a labor of love... they would make awesome gifts.

Anyone lucky enough to get one would be stunned..

Respectfully,
~meathead

top topics

join