It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More info about the birds and bugs disappearing around the world.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 09:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky
I found a few articles/emails/notes referencing how in some places around the world there seems to be an absence of bugs and of course bug eating birds. In the past we have had a few threads from individuals saying basically the same thing on how the past few years they have seen a decrease in these critters... Anyone else see a change ?
rense.com...
Just one example from the many at the link

From Steve
San Gabriel Valley, East Of LA
7-7-18

I've lived here since the early 1980s and have watched as local wildlife populations declined sharply. Mind that there has been essentially no new development here, or in our surrounding mountains, that might account for the drastic changes.

In years past, Spring would bring swarms of June bugs to darken our windows and screen door at night, but now I haven't seen a single one in years. Same for large black beetles, almost thumb sized, that used to roam our sidewalks at night. Ditto for everything from caterpillars and moths to snails. And we used to have Argentine ants swarming constantly around trash cans, along driveways and in the garden. All gone... every.... last... one!

The bird populations that are mainly bug eaters have consequently plummeted as well. While we still see seed eating birds like finches, mocking birds have had their numbers greatly reduced. They used to sing day and night, now there's just a few. Even after we had that wet winter the year before, there was no noticeable upward spike in our bug population afterwards.

Not sure of the cause, but I see it as a 'canary in the coal mine' for sure.

rense.com...

Bad News From Ireland

From Von Moss
7-8-18

Hi Jeff - I live in Wexford, Ireland in a very rural area. We usually have hoards of swallows and house martins all round the house. This year, i have counted 8 pairs.The car windscreen is usually covered in bugs, but again, this year, I have hardly had to clean it. Also there are no bats.

From Kurt Ruppert
June 21, 2018

I just want to pass this to Jeff. I’m living in a suburb of Atlanta, Ga. The insect population is way down. The light bulb over my front door attracts the same number of bugs that we use to see in the WINTER timer. The lake by my house once attracted a large population of bats, now, there are none. We have a year round population of ducks and geese on the lake. So far this year, we have had two female ducks produce at total of 5 babies between them. None of the geese have had any of their eggs hatch. There is a mother goose who always makes a nest in my yard. She actually buried her egg in the ground. I’ve never seen that. Also, we have wasps, yellow jackets, half sized bumble bees but absolutely no honey bees.
I bring up this subject with people and they look at me like I’ve grown another head.

Kurt Ruppert Marietta, Ga.

Date: August 5, 2016 at 8:21:29 AM PDT
To:
Subject: Bug Report

Hi Jeff… I live in Oklahoma City, and this summer we have had ample rain. Everything is green and leafy, so there should be an abundance of bugs. Even in drier years there can be plenty of them. But this summer, the bug count is well below what it has been in the past.

On the property of the house where I live, we have 2 large night lights mounted on power poles. In summers past, there would be a cloud of bugs around them...as well as the porch light at the front door…you would have to fight the bugs to get in the door. Not the case this year. There are a few...but just a few. Even last year, there were more than now and many more 2-3 years ago.

I just played a show done by Josh Tolley and he said in Wisconsin he would walk thru the grasses and the grasshoppers would be jumping out of the grass…but he hasn't seen one in 3 or 4 years.

Thank you for all the years of information. Long time listener, going back to the mid-90s.
Paul

As one of the quotes you posted is very close to me in Atlanta, I can say I have noticed a LOT less bugs in general this year.

Seen plenty of ants and spiders, but typically have to spray inside house to keep critters out...haven't had to so far this year and haven't had any bug issues.

As far as birds....I see plenty of them around. Bats too.

Coyotes have left the area for the most part. Lots of bunnies though....likely because the coyotes are either gone or fewer in numbers.

posted on Oct, 27 2018 @ 07:29 AM
link   
A new video about the insect loss world wide. ?

youtu.be...

posted on Oct, 27 2018 @ 07:33 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Total increase in bugs where I live 10x ....
I blame it on the crazy wet weather we've had this year.

posted on Oct, 27 2018 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I was driving through Wyoming, South Dakota, Iowa and Missouri at night back in August and it was practically raining bugs. I had to stop and clean the windshield numerous times during that trip. Maybe most of the bugs and birds went to those areas.

Could have something to do with the changes in the jet stream. It has moved farther north and farther south.
edit on 27-10-2018 by eManym because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2018 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: kimish
Is it possible that when we were kids, frogs toads And snakes seemed more plentiful because they were still entertaining and interesting to our juvenile minds and imagination, so we would always notice them when we played outside. Now that we are grown, not only do we not play outside everyday and hour (because work you know), our adult minds are less interested so we notice them less.

It is all perception. A child's mind and an adult mind observe the world and process input in a different manner. My city has expanded greatly since childhood, but out city charter heavily protects trees. I believe, as a result, maybe it's why I do not observe these alleged declines, except for the more exotic insect that look alien like. They vanish as buildings replace wetlands and the competition for insect real estate gets fierce.

But go to a property near a conservation spot, and alien bugs you will feel find at night.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry
You make a salient point, thank you for that. i had never thought of that and i like to consider myself as a thinker.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Why arent the damned mosquitoes effected? We sure could use a few billion less of them.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

I still look for them when Im at a lake. Turtles and frogs and fish.
Bugs Im more interested in controlling. The kind that eat my plants and the kind that eat me. ( or my blood anyway)

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme
I have always shared that sentiment in regards to mosquitos. But then I have to think about all the lizards, bats, frogs, and secondary insects ingested by those same animals who also feed on skeeters.

Dang food chain, were damned if the bottom dries up.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
Why arent the damned mosquitoes effected? We sure could use a few billion less of them.

Put up a bat house....your be surprised how great they are at catching mosquitos.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 11:22 AM
link   
On a personal note, this year was the first where we didn't see a single Monarch butterfly.

I live in California out in the country and starting from when my kids were little we would always watch the plants called milkweed from monarch chrysalis. This year the milkweed came and went without a single chrysalis.

We also never saw a single Monarch butterfly.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 06:24 PM
link   
as long as roaches, flies, butterflies, bees, peacocks, owls, and sandpipers are still here we're ok.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join