It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK: David Davis resigning.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Could you UKs please tell us more about this?

As far as I understood, Davis does not want to carry the new Brexit-Deal presented by May, because he feels that this does help the UKs Brexit position.

Davis justified his withdrawal in a letter to May. The "new trend" of Brexit policy makes it less likely that Britain will leave the single market and the Customs Union. The chosen political direction is driving the country into a "weak bargaining position" from which the government may no longer emerge.

Source, translated by google

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 01:38 AM
link   
a reply to: ManFromEurope

Its true ..... Its early yet to see what effect its going to have on the May

government.

Did she really believe her *fudge* was going to work for a true Brexit?

Edit.

There's rumour of a leadership contest Bad for May .... good for Brexit

edit on 9-7-2018 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 01:49 AM
link   

The root problem is a perception of remaining subservient to EU rules. This "common rulebook" is in fact the EU rulebook. In other words, the feeling is that we'll be dragged down by EU pettiness and politics even when it's not in our (national) best interest.

Personally, they just need to get a deal and future governments can work the detail out.

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 02:07 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

There is something very dark in any type of 'union' that you can join

but never leave.

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 02:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia
a reply to: paraphi

There is something very dark in any type of 'union' that you can join

but never leave.

Uhm.. The UK is in fact about to leave, so I do not understand your comment.
The only problem for the UK is right now that they would very much like to set sail preparing to dock to another new economical host (like China, I presume), but they do not feel like carrying the burden of the prior union.

And the EU does not feel obliged to help lighten that burden for the UK.

Because, you know it is like your personal contract for your mobile: the terminator of a contract has to carry the burden as long as the contract itself was correct by law. You terminate ahead of schedule, you pay fines. The carrier does not have to help you. I think this is the same situation (ok, without any schedule mentioned before).

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Yeah and just like most mobile phone contacts it’s a rip off. I don’t think we will leave the E.U, or if we do it will be in such a way as we might as well not have bothered.

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 03:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: surfer_soul

Yeah and just like most mobile phone contacts it’s a rip off. I don’t think we will leave the E.U, or if we do it will be in such a way as we might as well not have bothered.

I am ignorant in a lot of UK and EU matters . But , is it going to come down to another Brexit vote even after Brexit was voted for ? Or , a vote on what concessions will be made to the EU ?
Honest question.

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 03:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Most likely the concessions will be bitterly contested and a call for another vote raised around these. But I think it’s very unlikely we will see another referendum. If they thought the majority would vote to leave they wouldn’t have had one in the first place. It’s more likely that the concessions will keep everything in place pretty much as it is in terms of legislation IMO.

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 03:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

But , is it going to come down to another Brexit vote even after Brexit was voted for ?

No but it could signal the end for Theresa May as PM.

In his resignation letter, Mr Davis told Mrs May that "the current trend of policy and tactics" was making it "look less and less likely" that the UK would leave the customs union and single market.

He said he was "unpersuaded" that the government's negotiating approach "will not just lead to further demands for concessions" from Brussels.

Mr Davis, who was appointed Brexit Secretary in 2016, said: "The general direction of policy will leave us in at best a weak negotiating position, and possibly an inescapable one."

The resignation and words of David Davis opens the way for Euro skeptic Tory MPs to do something that should have been done long ago .... bring her down.

Brexiteer MP Jacob Rees-Mogg said it would be "very difficult" for Mrs May's plans to win the backing of MPs without Mr Davis. He told BBC 5 Live: "These proposals will have to come to the House of Commons in legislation and the question is 'will they command support from Conservative MPs?' "And I think without David Davis there, without his imprimatur, it will be very difficult for them to get the support of Conservative MPs and therefore the prime minister would be well advised to reconsider them."
www.bbc.co.uk...

I hope they do it sooner rather than later as time is short , we need someone who can stand up the the EU not acquiesce.

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 04:03 AM
link   

"Hard Brexit", which seems to be the most disastrous way to do it?

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 04:12 AM
link   

"Hard Brexit" is the only Brexit.
If it's disastrous then it's disastrous for both the UK and the EU because that's how the EU want it , like any relationship break up it requires both parties to accept it's over to smooth the process of separation.

edit on 9-7-2018 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 04:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManFromEurope

WHY?

The UK voted to LEAVE ..... not to be appendaged to the EU forever.

Even as it will eventually fall apart.

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 04:39 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I'm sorry to spoil a Brexiteers party, but a "hard Brexit" certainly does not benefit the UK. It mostly benefits Russia. The Russian idea is to weaken the position of the EU, as the EU is very succesful in winning a war that Russia can't win: the economic war. The EU is winning that war by negotiation and trading.

The result of it is free traffic of people and goods within the EU, which in turn leads to a quick and effective exchange of ideas and cultures. In my youth we never saw Poles, Slaves, Rumanians or Russians in my country, now I can see them on a daily basis. They work with us, they are 'infected' by our culture of fair trade and fair wages, of human rights and privacy. This has lead to much gnashing of Russian teeth, as the EU is now right on their doorstep, with all those "dangerous" ideas like abortion, euthanasia, acceptance of the gay communities, privacy as a right etc. - all kind of thing the old regime in Russia does not particularly like. So, the old forces in Russia, led by Putin, want to weaken the EU as they know that joining the EU is an effective end of Russia as a world power.

How do you win this war, seen from a Russian standpoint - simple: play the simple, dumb emotions of the people. Ignorant people, easily mislead into the belief that their country ON ITS OWN can survive and prosper. Play sentiments about foreigners, play sentiments about money that is going to "Brussels", play sentiments that actually may re-instate the old war between the religions in North Ireland, play sentiments that tear apart the UK (e.g. suggest the Scots leave the Union). You don't need much money to do that, you simply need access to the Internet, and play the media.

Which they do (and here too, don't be fooled: this place is a NEST of Russian intelligence). And you're falling for it.

There is but one way: a solid integration of the EU, lead by economical forces, but in the end resulting in a force that is stronger than any on the planet. May Europe rule!
edit on 9-7-2018 by ForteanOrg because: he had to remove some left-overs.

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 05:30 AM
link   
a reply to: ForteanOrg

The only people suggesting a return of The Troubles in Northern Ireland are pro-EU Remoaners.
The only people suggesting Scotland leave The Union are pro-EU Remoaners.

May Europe rule!

Hitler will be pulling himself stupid over that!

The EU is a bloated, corrupt, anti-democratic ogre that seeks to supress all notions of national identity and sovereignty.
They are actively seeking to ban and criminalise even the faintest suggestion of self-determination.

Free Trade Association?
Definitely.

Political Union?
Never!!

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 05:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

"Hard Brexit" is the only Brexit.
If it's disastrous then it's disastrous for both the UK and the EU because that's how the EU want it , like any relationship break up it requires both parties to accept it's over to smooth the process of separation.

Problem: all is due at the 29 of march 2019. However the status of transition is. If a smaller part is leaving a larger part without preparations, how can this be worse for the larger part?

In my opinion, and that can very well be tainted by (our and the internet's) medias, the UK wants to go cherry picking. Which really does not fly with the EU.

What May wants.

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 05:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia

originally posted by: ManFromEurope

WHY?

The UK voted to LEAVE ..... not to be appendaged to the EU forever.

Even as it will eventually fall apart.

No precautions taken. Thats like driving in your car, without seatbelts, airbags and brakes. Towards a brickwall.

MAaaaaaaaybe it will turn out fine. Do you want to bet your countrys economy on this?

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 05:43 AM
link   
a reply to: ForteanOrg

There is but one way: a solid integration of the EU, lead by economical forces, but in the end resulting in a force that is stronger than any on the planet. May Europe rule!

Resistance is futile ?
The EU has shown how divided and powerless it is in relation to the biggest threat it faces right now which is the migrant problem , they had a summit and yet again came up with no deal and just fudged the issue once again.

The EU is a toothless , pointless talking shop designed to benefit two countries , Germany and France , and we are better off outside of it , if we have one thing to thank Gordon Brown for that is keeping up out of the Euro which makes leaving so much easier.

We are the first but we won't be the last EU member nation to bail from the sinking ship that is the European Union.

Farewell and thanks for stealing all our fish.

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Problem: all is due at the 29 of march 2019. However the status of transition is. If a smaller part is leaving a larger part without preparations, how can this be worse for the larger part?

In my opinion, and that can very well be tainted by (our and the internet's) medias, the UK wants to go cherry picking. Which really does not fly with the EU.

We just want a fair deal , the EU negotiators want to put obstacles in the way of that which has intentionally slowed the process down , they know that if our exit is smooth and successful other malcontent countries will follow our lead and regain their own sovereignty thus putting an end to this misguided United States of Europe project.

We want to trade with our European allies but we don't want to be ruled by them.

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Former housing minister and Leave campaigner Dominic Raab has just been appointed Brexit Secretary by Theresa May , be warned Mr Barnier Mr Raab has a Black Belt in Karate.

Jacob Rees-Mogg on David Davis resignation & Chequers Capitulation.

edit on 9-7-2018 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Mays government is turning into a bit of a bad joke.

This is like a ticking time bomb, only a matter of time before she is forced out in some way.

The whole Brexit thing is breaking the country, quite literally, its going to break the UK.

Personally I believe we need a second referendum on the final deal but so long as May is in power and a bunch of euro-skeptics sit in the cabinet thats not going to happen.

Whole thing is a mess.

Hard Brexit will kill this country if we pull out of the customs union, we are going to be economically destroyed.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join