It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US threatened nations over breastfeeding resolution

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

Wow. And the US actually had a cow about this? For those who don't want to go to the WHO site, here's what the fuss is about:

1. URGES Member States in accordance with national context and international obligations:

(1) to increase investment in development, implementation and monitoring and evaluation of laws, policies and programmes aimed at protection, promotion, including education and support of breastfeeding, including through multisectoral approaches and awareness raising;

(2) to reinvigorate the Baby-friendly Hospital Initiative, including by promoting full integration of the revised Ten steps to successful breastfeeding, in efforts and programmes aimed at improving quality of care for maternal, newborn and child health;

(3) to implement and/or strengthen national mechanisms for effective implementation of measures aimed at giving effect to the International Code of Marketing of Breast-milk Substitutes, as well as other WHO evidence-based recommendations;

(4) to promote timely and adequate complementary feeding in accordance with the guiding
principles for complementary feeding of the breastfed child, as well as guiding principles for the feeding of the non-breastfed child 6–24 months of age;

(5) to continue taking all necessary measures in the interest of public health to implement recommendations to end inappropriate promotion of foods for infants and young children;

(6) to take all necessary measures to ensure evidence-based and appropriate infant and young child feeding during emergencies, including through preparedness plans, capacity-building of personnel working in emergency situations, and coordination of intersectoral operations;

(7) to celebrate World Breastfeeding Week as a valuable means to promote breastfeeding;

2. REQUESTS the Director-General:

(1) to provide, upon request, technical support to Member States in mobilizing resources, including financial resources, and monitoring and implementation of WHO recommendations to support infant and young child feeding, including in emergencies, and to review national experiences from this implementation and continue to update and generate evidence-based recommendations;

(2) to provide, upon request, technical support to Member States to establish, review and implement national laws, policies and programmes to support infant and young child feeding;

(3) to continue developing tools for training, monitoring and advocacy on the revised Ten steps to successful breastfeeding and the Baby-friendly Hospital Initiative, to provide support to Member States with implementation;

(4) to support Member States in establishing nutrition targets and intermediate milestones for maternal, infant and young child nutrition indicators, consistent with the time frame for implementation of the Framework for Action, the conference outcome document of the Food and Agriculture Organization’s and World Health Organization’s Second International Conference on Nutrition and the United Nations Decade of Action on Nutrition (2016–2025) and the timeframe of the Sustainable Development Goals (2015–2030);

(5) to continue providing adequate technical support to Member States, upon request, in assessing national policies and programmes, and other measures, including quality data collection and analyses;

(6) to develop tools for training, monitoring, advocacy and preparedness for the implementation of the operational guidance on infant and young child feeding in emergencies and support Member States to review experiences in its adaptation, implementation and
monitoring;

(7) to report to the Seventy-third World Health Assembly in 2020 on the progress made in implementing this resolution and in alignment with the reporting requested in resolution WHA69.

edit on 9-7-2018 by riiver because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 11:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dr UAE

exactly what i wanted to say, i mean really? whats next? the UN will govern our houses now?

everyone knows that breast feeding is the best for babies, but not all mothers can provide it, my daughter tried so hard but she couldnt do it for her daughter, so what does that mean now? is she against the resolution and pro Trump?

this is becoming ridiculous

If you can breast feed well, then you breast feed. If you can't then you use formula, there is no UN, Government, Trump apart of this.

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 12:32 AM
link   
a reply to: riiver

Yeah, that's what the fuss is about. Now, look at #2:

(2) to reinvigorate the Baby-friendly Hospital Initiative, including by promoting full integration of the revised Ten steps to successful breastfeeding, in efforts and programmes aimed at improving quality of care for maternal, newborn and child health;

So I looked up the Baby-friendly Hospital Initiative. A search for that on the WHO website led me to The Guiding Principles for Complementary Feeding of the Breastfed Child, on which it is based (Beware, this is a YUGE pdf file).

Page 34 of that document (Table 4, Potential assessment needs and actions) lists a potential action as

Implement and enforce the International Code of Marketing of BreastmilkSubstitutes

So, I looked that up. I found the FAQ for it here (another big pdf file).

Page 6:

The 2016 resolution on ending inappropriate promotion of foods for infants and young children (WHA 69.9) urges Member States, manufacturers and distributers, health care professionals and the media to implement new WHO Guidance recommendations that contain a number of implications for the Code:
  • Clarification that “follow-up formula” and “growing-up milks” fall under the scope of the Code and should not be promoted.
  • Recommendation that messages on complementary foods should always include a statement on the need for breastfeeding to continue through 2 years and that complementary foods should not be fed before 6 months.
  • Recommendation that the labels and designs on products other than breast milk substitutes need to be distinct from those used on breast-milk substitutes to avoid cross-promotion.
  • Recognition that any donations to the health care system (including health workers and professional associations) from companies selling foods for infants and young children represent a conflict of interest and should not be allowed.
  • Recommendation that sponsorship of meetings of health professionals and scientific meetings by companies selling foods for infants and young children should not be allowed.

In other words, WHO wants infant formula, baby formula, baby food, and anything else that is used to feed children locked up in a case in plain brown wrappers right beside the tobacco products. That is extreme, and I wholly support the President in refusing to participate it.

Heck, on page 11, they even kill the Gerber Baby!

No pictures of infants or other pictures idealizing the use of breast-milk substitutes are permitted on the labels of the products.

This is the danger. Sure, the wording of the resolution sounds good, until you look at what it is insisting be implemented... then it begins to look sinister.

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 01:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

Heck, on page 11, they even kill the Gerber Baby!

No pictures of infants or other pictures idealizing the use of breast-milk substitutes are permitted on the labels of the products.

This is the danger. Sure, the wording of the resolution sounds good, until you look at what it is insisting be implemented... then it begins to look sinister.
TheRedneck

I thought Gerber had taken on the *diversity and inclusive banner* !!

8. 2. 2018

An 18-month-old boy with Down’s Syndrome has become the new face of US baby food giant Gerber.

Lucas Warren, the first “spokesbaby” with Down’s Syndrome in the company's 91-year history, was selected out of

140,000 submissions.

Gerber, who run an annual photo contest since 2010, said his “winning smile and joyful expression” won their hearts.

“Every year, we choose the baby who best exemplifies Gerber’s longstanding heritage of recognising that every baby is a

Gerber baby, and this year, Lucas is the perfect fit,” said Bill Partyka, President and CEO of Gerber.

Lucas will appear on Gerber’s social media channels throughout the year and his family will receive $50,000 (£35,000).

www.telegraph.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 01:43 AM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

They did... and WHO wants to kill it!

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 01:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

I was wondering that myself. Is it really necessary for the UN to do things like this?

Yeah, it's important, but it's been pretty well established for at least a decade plus, that breast milk is superior in every way to formula (that stuff is nasty--I'm amazed babies can even drink the stuff.).

I'd like to see this resolution myself, but I can't find it anywhere. Someone help me out, maybe?

ETA: That's what I get for not reading the entirety of the thread...someone did. Lots more reading...tomorrow.

edit on 7/10/2018 by seagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 04:57 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Not all babies like the boobie my wife and her brother could not drink their mothers milk as babies so they had to be switched over to formula but my three kids enjoyed their mothers milk till she stopped producing which then mace them have to be switched over to formula. People will choose what suites them and in needs to worry about more stuff than that like famines and clean drinking water for developing world because if breastfeeding mother is malnourished she probably will not make milk for long

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 05:13 AM
link   
a reply to: proteus33

And when the milk dries up, and it's too hard to find formula, you'll have infants trying to survive on stuff like Gatorade. Yeah, electrolytes! Plants crave them, and so do babies!

Idiocracy lives...

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 05:14 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

actually, I think they would prefer that you by-pass the prepared baby food and spent the time to prepare your baby's food yourself??

www.who.int...

but, it's early, so I might be misreading the page.
with today modern appliances, juicers, blenders, and such, it wouldn't be that difficult and time consuming really.

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 05:18 AM
link   

and, when the conservatives get their way, and the wic vouchers have ended... and the mothers finally realize the true cost of all that formula??
same thing happens it seems....

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 05:20 AM
link   

And when someone doesn't know how to do that properly (or doesn't have the right appliances) and gives a baby something too solid for its digestive system?

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Why do you think conservatives oppose WIC? Both my kids were WIC kids.

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 05:22 AM
link   
It's soooo absurd that the same people who do not want the government telling a woman that she can not murder her own unborn child would condone the UN telling women how they must feed their infant.

The world has gone mad.

Example from one of many previous threads:

originally posted by: CB328

Culture of death sums it up eloquently
We have a culture of death it's called Republicans- endless war, torture, pollution, police violence, etc. Their pro-life speech is just to get votes and to keep up the supply of poor people who are easily manipulated to vote for them.

edit on 7/10/18 by BlueAjah because: quote

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 05:26 AM
link   
a reply to: BlueAjah

Indeed. Dawnstar apparently hasn't figured out yet that this resolution would have ended the WIC program she seems to support. It requires absolutely no promotion of anything other than breast milk, so the government would be forbidden from giving formula to those who need it.

Trump just saved WIC from the UN.

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 05:31 AM
link   

they've been known to give new mothers in third world nations sample packs of formula with instructions on it's use not even written in the people's language!!!

but, you are probably right, our ancestors were so much more intelligent than we were!! they knew how to mash potatoes and carrots even, and they didn't even have electricity!!

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Under this resolution, it would be illegal to give anyone formula... period. It specifies that a hospital cannot even give formula samples to mothers who are having trouble breastfeeding, and that is specified exactly in the guidelines.

our ancestors were so much more intelligent than we were!! they knew how to mash potatoes and carrots even, and they didn't even have electricity!!

Hahaha, on that point you won't get any argument from me. It seems the more we advance, the less capable we become.

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 05:54 AM
link   

the UN doesn't mandate crap to countries...
and the US has been using these guidelines for years as it is... wic is still handing out formula as far as I know. but what it isn't doing is pushing that formula as the idea product, superior to breast feeding. it's still there though.

as far as where do I get the idea that the conservatives would like to end wic...
well, let's start with this thread here...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

and, then I will go on to just say...
considering how unpredictable things are in today's world...
I would encourage people to be dependent on the gov't for as little as possible.
I am pretty sure that you would agree with this since, I do believe that you are the one that is raising up the main course for your next thanksgiving dinner, aren't you? but, maybe I am wrong about that one.

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 06:09 AM
link   

the UN doesn't mandate crap to countries...

No, they pass resolutions that require the countries to implement certain goals. An example is carbon credits. They are a UN (IPCC) conception and the countries which adopted the resolution are now dealing in carbon credits.

If we were to adopt this resolution, the UN would not make the laws, but we would be required to make them in order to comply.

the US has been using these guidelines for years as it is... wic is still handing out formula as far as I know. but what it isn't doing is pushing that formula as the idea product, superior to breast feeding. it's still there though.

Exactly, because there has been no UN resolution, only UN recommendations. There is a huge difference. With a recommendation, we can pick and choose what works for us; with a resolution we have agreed to take certain actions to implement the recommendations in full.

Remember, I support breastfeeding. I also support WIC and public education on the benefits of breastfeeding (would be nice if WIC included a free pump). I support having formula and baby food available. I support anything that helps children; I just see this resolution as hurting more than it would help. Moderation is the key.

considering how unpredictable things are in today's world...
I would encourage people to be dependent on the gov't for as little as possible.

Oh, I agree! Absolutely!

And yes, that is me, although I'll buy a turkey this year. Let the flock get more established before harvesting it. We lost our hens to predators earlier this year. But we increased the chicken flock.

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 06:42 AM
link   

but there has been resolutions before this one...

web.archive.org...://www.babymilkaction.org/update/update41b.html

but, in Trump's defense....
the US seems to have opposed those also.

Nestles must of always had plenty of money for the lobbyists....

sorry, link doesn't seem to work...
I found it by searching for this:

wha 61.20

edit on 10-7-2018 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Yeah, we do tend to oppose most UN resolutions that would affect us. That's a good thing; in the EU, it seems all these programs are driving the economy into the tank. I keep hearing about countries going broke over there.

Not that we're rolling in surpluses, of course...

TheRedneck

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join