It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US threatened nations over breastfeeding resolution

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

With all the illegal drug use is this really such a bad thing? Synthetic formula is perfectly safe. That said, I don't personally see an issue with natural feeding either. I also see no issue with the US opposing whatever measures it wants. After all, what is the purpose of having that power?

As Obama said, sometimes you have to twist arms to get things done.

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: EchoesInTime

I don't believe there was anything in the resolution that could be interpreted to being taking the choice to bottle feed away from women, matter of fact, like most of what the UN does, it had really no teeth whatsoever.
by what I have read, it only made the statement that it was more beneficial for women to breast feed...
and here's the one that trump and company might have had a problem with...
it reinterated the idea that companies that produce the formulas should have some advertising methods restricted, which has been stated in previous resolutions, but still, in many countries the companies are free to do as they wish in that dept.
when you consider just how drug manufacturers combined with those in the healthcare profession with not so high integrity have managed to create this huge Opioid epidmic...
maybe you can understand why there should be some limitations on their actions when it comes to baby formula??

but then, maybe this administration really does hate those brown people from those shthole countries that much and the thought of millions of babies dying every year from malnutrition and water borne diseases turns them on, I don't know.

edit on 9-7-2018 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 04:09 PM
link   

US President Donald Trump’s administration has caused outrage after reports emerged that it bullied other governments in an attempt to prevent the passage of an international resolution promoting breastfeeding.

The US delegation to the World Health Assembly in Geneva reportedly deployed heavy-handed measures to browbeat nations into backing off the resolution.

www.scmp.com...

Except, guess who?

RUSSIA

Not a peep to them about backing off the resolution.

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire
a reply to: rickymouse

I don't disagree with you here at all ricky. For this reason I say that trying to convince mothers, anywhere, that formula is across the board better than breast milk is deceitful and hence the UN position that breast milk may be the best for the babies is a sound position.

I agree, but do not believe we need to sign anything with Europe. From researching medical things here and from sites in Europe, I see that half of the people who consider themselves professional in this country do not understand things fully. Just like the Pharma companies, as soon as some evidence comes out they hastily make conclusions that are not correct overall.

Every case is different, I think someone who looks at a patient should determine things and set up a diagnosis, not people who are prestigious and never see the person.

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Sooo, everything we've heard all our lives about the benefits of breastfeeding, such as the infant having the boost of the mother's immune system, has all been a big lie?

Thank the don for showing us the error of our ways, and I guess he's told mother nature a thing or two.

what utter bs.

When you have a president who puts money above all else, this is the kind of bs you get fed.

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

originally posted by: rickymouse
Educating the public is important but most people could not comprehend this kind of stuff.

Yes, including the stuff about corporations like Nestle 'giving' away formula in 3'rd world countries...which is just jim-dandio until the mothers' breast milk dries up and they are compelled to buy the stuff because the freebies are over. Then the formula is reduced (with unsanitary water) to save money, and kids end up dying of malnutrition when they could have been raised on breastmilk fer free. Might wanna research this.

Corporations have already been called out on these practices. To have them enforced by government is heinous.

You are right, the system we have created is not right. But we do not have to join their program, they want us to join them, contribute, and they will dictate what can and can't be done. I am not for giving up control to the EU. You are from Canada if I remember right, do you want the EU slyly taking over your country? So your citizens do not have the right to control the people who run your country

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 04:22 PM
link   
When a woman can 't breast-feed, or doesn't have nutrition enough in her milk, or something is not right with it and the baby is not thriving, both she and her doctor have sense enough to start the baby on formula.

They sure as hell don't need Donald Trump or the American government to advise them what to do.

How can people be such fools?

Oh wait! Next will he tell us to water our vegetables with "Brawndo"

lol.

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 04:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll
When a woman can 't breast-feed, or doesn't have nutrition enough in her milk, or something is not right with it and the baby is not thriving, both she and her doctor have sense enough to start the baby on formula.

They sure as hell don't need Donald Trump or the American government to advise them what to do.

How can people be such fools?

Oh wait! Next will he tell us to water our vegetables with "Brawndo"

lol.

This thread is more about Europe wanting us to join them in promoting breastfeeding to everyone. The people at the health agencies here said no. We already have WIC and doctors here advising people, they actually do health screening of the babies. They will provide formula if they need it but do advise mothers to breastfeed now if they can.

I think that the action of this refusal to join the EU is good, we do not need our government starting to persuade the mothers to breastfeed even though the milk isn't that good. It is not always the fault of the mother, some women cannot make milk very well, especially the first time they have a kid.

We have a decent system finally in the USA. At least WIC and doctors are trying to promote breast feeding as good and research shows the benefit of breast feeding is real. But it also shows that some milk is inadequate for various reasons, there needs to be formula in the equasion. Also, some women are working, it is hard to breastfeed. even if it is collected, they are not cows, they are gone for nine hours a day.

This should stay up to the parent. Make them aware that the best way is to breastfeed but at the same time they should not make the woman feel inadequate if she can't.

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 05:33 PM
link   

That is my point as well: a recommendation is a good thing, and I completely support breastfeeding. It is obviously better for the child (and some say for the mother) in almost all circumstances. But then again, peanuts are quite nutritious and extremely healthy for almost all people. For the few with severe allergies, they can be fatal. Likewise, demanding mothers breastfeed can be dangerous to the infants in some cases.

This appears, based on the tweet from Trump posted further down from your post, that this was one of those cases where government overreach was attempting to thwart a simple, basic right of all people: the right to choose what they will consume based on their own personal situation. It also reinforces my opinion that we, the USA, need to simply withdraw from the UN completely. Their overreach, their continuous sponging of the US financially, and their intrusion into the private affairs of sovereign countries, need to be stopped cold. During the Iraqi sanctions, which in large part pushed the US into conflict in the Middle East, the UN did something I thought was a physical impossibility: they actually exceeded the US government in the degree of corruption.

Then, of course, there is the danger that so many will look at opinions on something the UN says, like we have seen in this thread already, and make an assumption that the resolution is still a recommendation. Data on the actual resolutions is not readily available on a .gov site, like it is with the US government, and is therefore effectively concealed from public view.

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

Resisting the resolution is not telling women what method to use for feeding their children. Agreeing to the resolution apparently did that.

You are literally complaining that the current administration didn't do what you are complaining about?

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

I'm complaining because withdrawing the resolution to encourage breastfeeding (based on bs) leaves one option and that is to use formula,, which is all about money.

Money is not the most important thing in life, and neither is our freaking economy.

Anyway, isn't it something like 12 countries he has bullied about it? What he has said to Ecuador, this blackmail or extortion, you agree with that?

But not Russia? Why not Russia?

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 05:47 PM
link   

No. That is not what the resolution said, from all reports I am hearing.

The resolution made it hard for women to have the option of formula. It would have tried to force women to breastfeed by removing easy access to formula. By withdrawing, the US simply said women have a choice. Not withdrawing would have taken that choice away.

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll
a reply to: TheRedneck

I'm complaining because withdrawing the resolution to encourage breastfeeding (based on bs) leaves one option and that is to use formula,

Whut? Withdrawing the resolution confiscates women's breasts and mammary tissue, preventing them from choosing to breastfeed!?!?! OMFG, that's horrific! Oh, more likely, you're being overdramatic and applying hyperbole to a scenario in which none is appropriate. The resolution which claimed to be all about "offering women choices" actually restricts the advertisement and promotion of all of the choices except for the lone choice the WHO wants women to follow.

Curiously, in this country, the instant a group like Planned Parenthood is targeted by a resolution to limit their advertisement or participation in some activity, you're one of the first up to the podium to scream and holler about "the choice of women is being restricted by this! Infringement! Infringement! Women's rights are being infringed!" yet on this issue, because it involves Trump, you go 180 degrees off from what you normally would say. Classic and very telling.

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Sorta gives new meaning to the argument about the "right to choose," don't it? Good on one issue, bad on another?

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Whut? Withdrawing the resolution confiscates women's breasts and mammary tissue, preventing them from choosing to breastfeed!?!?! OMFG, that's horrific!

Uh, and I'm overly dramatic? ; )

If you don't see what the Trump administration is doing, and will continue to do, I can't help ya Burd. good luck with yo bully-pres.

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Thanks! So far luck has certainly smiled on us all.

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 06:13 PM
link   

The second welcomed WHO guidance on ending the inappropriate promotion of foods for infants and young children. The guidance clarifies that, in order to protect, promote and support breastfeeding, the marketing of “follow-up formula” and “growing-up milks”—targeted for consumption by babies aged 6 months to 3 years—should be regulated in just the same manner as infant formula for 0 to 6-month-olds is. This recommendation is in line with the International Code of Marketing of Breast-milk Substitutes adopted by the World Health Assembly in 1981. Milk that is marketed as a general family food is not covered by the guidance, since it is not marketed specifically for feeding of infants and young children.

In light of the poor nutritional quality of some food and beverages marketed to infants and young children, the WHO guidance also indicates that foods for infants and young children should be promoted only if they meet standards for composition, safety, quality and nutrient levels and are in-line with national dietary guidelines.

The guidance also lays out key principles of how health professionals should interact with companies that market complementary foods. It recommends that health professionals do not accept gifts or free samples from these companies. They should not distribute samples, coupons, or products to families nor allow the companies to provide education or market foods through their health facilities. The guidance also recommends that companies do not sponsor meetings of health professionals.

The resolution urges countries, health professionals, the food industry, and the media to implement the guidance. In the resolution, countries also requested support from WHO to implement the guidance and monitor and evaluate its impact on infant and young child nutrition. They asked WHO to work with other international organizations on promoting national implementation of the guidance, and to report back to the Assembly in 2018 and 2020.

www.who.int...

this is the closest I can find on a WHO/UN official site. but, you are welcome to hunt around yourselves if you like. but, if this is it, it's far from commanding countries to restrict women from accessing formula if they want it, unless of course, having hospitals send new mothers home with enough free samples to ensure that if they are used the mother's own milk will dry up and she will be stuck buying your product as restricting her access.
but, who made a statement, recommendation about that relating to baby formula years ago.. still, though, companies are allowed to do this in many countries...so much for the UN forcing people into anything..

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Im trying to find the original resolution text, and can't. I dont really trust anyone's reporting on it without seeing the actual text, if its just a resolution encouraging breastfeeding, and making it a more appealing option without blocking access to alternative means then I have no issues with that as long as they arent restricting options. Based on the studies it would appear they are using it would be the correct assumption that if someone could breastfeed in many cases it would be healthier. If they were talking about restricting options then I dont really agree with it,

I think threatening Ecuador with trade sanctions on something like this though is pretty childish.

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: trb71

That's where I am. I have searched, but the resolution itself is apparently simply not available. I can't even find a resolution number. All I find are opinions on something I can't read for myself?

I will not support anything I can't read first. I am amazed so many here are in full support of something they can't read either.

As for Ecuador, I can't find many actual facts on that either. Since it seems to be connected to the resolution that is top secret, I will assume the facts surrounding that are top secret as well. In other words, more propaganda to pass something that no one really wants, even if CNN thinks they should.

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 08:34 PM
link   
found it!!!

apps.who.int...

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join