It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

[VIDEO] Trump drops a twitter-bomb: "They just didn't get it, but they do now!"

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 10:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zelun
a reply to: Gryphon66

Well, what do you propose? How would you reform the system to more directly reflect the will of the Republic? Take away the rights of the states to decide how they vote? A purely popular vote would be a disaster. I think that's clear just by looking at the voter maps. What's your proposal?

I propose we follow the Constitution. I have no issue with the Electoral College.

Again, the Electors are chosen based on State popular vote as it should be.

Your earlier claims about this system being a protection against so-called “mob rule” were incorrect.

What you call mob rule is what the Founders called the will of “We the People.”

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 11:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

The electorate consists of nominally anonymous people who are duty bound, but not bindingly, to the will of the people they represent. If a state's popular vote falls to a candidate they can override that decision by voting differently. What's your understanding?

The number of Electors each State has is based on their Congressional representation (which is 80% based on population). Each State decides how their Electors will be split; all are governed by the popular vote. Three states are not "winner take all" but divide by other means. The "winner take all" states are indeed the very definition of "mob rule."

Electors overwhelmingly vote according to the way they are pledged as a result of the popular vote. Those that don't are called "faithless."

Faithless Electors have never affected the outcome of a Presidential Election.

The EC is indeed based on the the popular vote on a state by state basis rather than nationwide.

The comments about "mob rule" that you're repeating are mostly incorrect both in the spirit and the letter of American law. A Republic is a representative democracy rather than a direct one.

The will of the People remains the driving force. (At least in form.)

I don't know how this post developed from this thread, but thank you. Why do you suppose people would want to eliminate the electoral college? Is this ideological driven, but from where? Eliminating it would be mob rule and exactly against what the Founders intended.

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 11:11 PM
link   

That's contrary to your previous position when you quizzed me on my understanding of the EC. The EC as ABSOLUTELY a defense against mob rule. It was a defense against the more populous areas having more sway over the less populous, i.e. where the FOOD was being made. Direct democracy will never work. That's why we have the EC. Because people are self serving, dumb, and given the choice they'll take the hand-out. It's human nature. It's actually life-nature, if I can coin the phrase. Life seeks to economize energy. If you can input more than you output, you're sitting pretty. That's not good for society. The product of our work is what makes us sustainable. That doesn't mean it needs to be free. People are entitled to the fruits of their labor. Man, this got off topic quick.

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Well, what do you propose? How would you reform the system to more directly reflect the will of the Republic? Take away the rights of the states to decide how they vote? A purely popular vote would be a disaster. I think that's clear just by looking at the voter maps. What's your proposal?

I propose we follow the Constitution. I have no issue with the Electoral College.

Again, the Electors are chosen based on State popular vote as it should be.

Your earlier claims about this system being a protection against so-called “mob rule” were incorrect.

What you call mob rule is what the Founders called the will of “We the People.”

I disagree. Mob rule is California and New York deciding elections for the foreseeable future because they can generate more votes. Removing the EC is anti-American.

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 11:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

All that money, all that pretentious ridicule, all that showboat activism, all that fake indignation and fear-mongering—none of it worked. Yet they still do it.

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 11:16 PM
link   
a reply to: mkultra11

Again, this "mob rule" comment is sorely misplaced in terms of our Constitution and our republican form of government in my opinion.

If you read the writings of the Founders ... Jefferson, Madison, etc. it is clear that they held two things dear, individual liberty and the will of the People.

In a democratic Republic, the power of governance is said to reside in the People and our representatives authority to govern comes DIRECTLY from the People.

The concept of "mob rule" was what the monarchists feared about the republican forms of government.

The Electoral College is not a guard against the will of the People, but it is a point of balance between larger and smaller States. In other words, it IS pure democracy, but on the level of the State not the nation.

People don't like the EC when their candidate loses, plain and simple.

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Mob rule is merely a pejorative for direct democracy, where the majority rules ... sometimes called the "tyranny of the majority."

In our current system, the winners of the popular vote in each State are pledged the Electoral votes of that State.

"Winner take all." i.e. "mob rule."
edit on 8-7-2018 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 11:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

I wonder if Trump realizes how lame it is at this point to keep screaming about his election victory.

It’s 2018.

I wonder how lame it is that the MSM/Democrats are still flinging poo at Trump even over a year after winning!?

It's 2018 for crapsakes! You're just making it easier for Trump Kenobi to win if you try to strike him down.

edit on 8-7-2018 by thepixelpusher because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Trump might be an ok sort of POTUS, if he would just stop trying to stroke his own ego.

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 11:54 PM
link   
a reply to: fleabit

Wonder how you'd handle it if comedians laughed about your decapitated head on display or had people suggest assassinating your child, harrassing your staff, and the list goes on and on...

The neverending crapstorm against Trump, just because he won. He's just stating the obvious truth.
edit on 9-7-2018 by thepixelpusher because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 12:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: RMFX1

originally posted by: Sublimecraft
Watch video here - Donald Trump: twitter

VIDEO:

Anyway, this 2-minute long video is basically a big HaHaHa troll to leftists, the MSM and democrats in general direct from Trump for their arrogant presumptuousness pre-election that Trump could NEVER be President of the United States (stated with conviction by many, and a belly laugh) in which they are all eventually pwned, bigly.

The Young Turks get a front row seat for this vid, probably because their reactions on election night perfectly summed up the whole situation best, when they went from a smile to fetal position in the space of about 3 hours.

Enjoy.

Your president is an embarrassment and he humiliates you and your countrymen daily on twitter. But here you are whoop whooping at another one of his dumb twitter escapades.

The mind boggles.

You know what they say about OPINIONS right? But, it's nice to see you triggered.

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 12:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

This thread is what makes ATS the toxic environment for political discussion.
You come here and make anti left threads for what?

What is the end goal? You aren't pushing a right wing agenda, you're pushing a Trump fan boy one and literally just throwing anyone who doesn't like him into one category.

Biased to the bone, overly zealous. And you tell people who didn't vote for him to get over it. You just posted an in your face video, I think you need to check yourself before you go off on rants judging others.

This is a GREAT thread! What are you talking about? There needs to be more threads like this to be honest. #MAGA

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Mob rule is merely a pejorative for direct democracy, where the majority rules ... sometimes called the "tyranny of the majority."

In our current system, the winners of the popular vote in each State are pledged the Electoral votes of that State.

"Winner take all." i.e. "mob rule."

Yes, I know all that Bout the electoral system. Except your last point is inaccurate and out of context. The mere purpose of democratic Republic prevents mob rule, and the electoral process working as originally intended.

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Again, this "mob rule" comment is sorely misplaced in terms of our Constitution and our republican form of government in my opinion.

If you read the writings of the Founders ... Jefferson, Madison, etc. it is clear that they held two things dear, individual liberty and the will of the People.

In a democratic Republic, the power of governance is said to reside in the People and our representatives authority to govern comes DIRECTLY from the People.

The concept of "mob rule" was what the monarchists feared about the republican forms of government.

The Electoral College is not a guard against the will of the people, but it is a point of balance between larger and smaller States. In other words, it IS pure democracy, but on the level of the State not the nation.

People don't like the EC when their candidate loses, plain and simple.

You are confusing the Will of the People with mob rule. They are not the same. They mean the Will of the People through a representative Republic. It is not pure democracy, its a democratic constitutional Republic.. The founding fathers never wanted true democracy, that would be mob rule. Thays why they never mentioned the word democracy in the founding documents. You dont think they read Plato? These were some of the enlightened minds in history.

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 03:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

I wonder if Trump realizes how lame it is at this point to keep screaming about his election victory.

It’s 2018.

You're sh!tting me aren't ya? Surely you can't be serious with that comment considering the consistent and ongoing hysterical propaganda and dribble from CNN & the tards since Nov 9th 2016, including the ever present "not my President" slop that gets airtime. The MSM still has not stopped screaming about his election victory.

pay attention.

I’m completely serious.

All this does is make him look even more like a petulant child. Everyone outside his circle of true believers is dying laughing at how idiotic it’s making him look.

Pay attention.

So your press is mediocre and foolish, and it makes very alright for your president to also be cheap mediocre fool? Understood

In the US mediocrity and being nasty is completely acceptable as long as you are not the only one being like that, specially if your enemy also does it?
edit on 9-7-2018 by WarriorMH because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 04:30 AM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

I wonder if you lame liberals will get past the fact you lost,and quit the incessive whining and crying and making up lies

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Wouldn't it be nice if everyone just got along, like they used to do? Way back when the world wasn't a perpetual chaotic sh#t storm?

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 05:28 AM
link   

edit on 9-7-2018 by network dude because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 05:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Alien Abduct

The fact that you using one word in 4 or 5 consecutive posts garnered THAT many stars shows just how dumbed down this place has become. It's actually really hilarious to see how stupid most people on these boards are nowadays. One word over and over, that's the extent of ATS's attention span nowadays. Lol.

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 06:02 AM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

The fact that you using one word in 4 or 5 consecutive posts garnered THAT many stars shows just how dumbed down this place has become. It's actually really hilarious to see how stupid most people on these boards are nowadays. One word over and over, that's the extent of ATS's attention span nowadays. Lol.

As I said earlier - It ain't getting any better

ATS has become a "high information" (sarc) environment where a tweet is enough to start a thread. Many tweets to go. And they laugh at MSM

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join