It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

possible impacts of American and Chinese tariffs

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 03:06 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

You base your argument on 1 company?surely one can't be so dense,one of main reasons is they aren't as popular,how can equal taxation be taken as a bad thing,everyone else pays,so no exception to the rule

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: American-philosopher

I imagine other countries won't mind stepping in to replace China, which is what we should have done 30 years ago rather than let China become what it is today.

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 01:27 PM
link   

I sell a lot of second hand (used) items and clothing on Ebay, and I am hoping the tariffs cut the legs out from under my Chinese competitors, who sell new items at low prices, because they are subsidized enough they can ship goods across the Pacific Ocean for a very low price.

So tariffs = might be good for me, and others like me!

edit on 9-7-2018 by Fowlerstoad because: changed 'free' to 'a very low price' because technically though low, it is still not 'free'

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Fowlerstoad

US tax dollars are the actual subsidizing force allowing that. The US pays for Chinese shippers to undercut US competition.

It's wild.

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24

Nobody can say for a fact what will happen. I hope it levels the playing field against China. Those thievin, counterfitin, currency manipulatin turds needs to have a big stick upside their heads.

what?....of course people can tell what's going to happen, as it has happened so many times before.....soy beans will be bought from other countries, as most goods will that cost less, and American companies will begin moving jobs that are here over to another country that doesn't have those specific tariffs.....this is what's wrong with trump and his voters, they haven't read a damn history book, nor any books on economics.

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Wow ... did not know that. I gotta quote the Princess Bride movie on that: "Inconceivable!".

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

I imagine other countries won't mind stepping in to replace China, which is what we should have done 30 years ago rather than let China become what it is today.

And other countries will step in to replace the goods from America.

www.bloomberg.com...

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oldtimer2

You base your argument on 1 company?surely one can't be so dense,one of main reasons is they aren't as popular,how can equal taxation be taken as a bad thing,everyone else pays,so no exception to the rule

Do you honestly think corporate taxes are equal the what the middle class pays in taxes? Not even taking into consideration the taxpayer paid subsidies, bank bailouts, to big to fail corps, etc, to the corporate elite. Why do you think I incorporated my businesses and put my 180 acres into a conservation program to get paid not to grow crops? And when we do plant, we get govt. subsidy to grow certain crops. we're not in Kansas anymore Dorthy!!

www.thebalance.com...
edit on 9-7-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-7-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 01:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: testingtesting
a reply to: abe froman

No Japanese steel is the best in the world generally but it does depend on what the steel is used for.

False.

Japanese steel is garbage.

The reason Samurai swords were folded so many times is a direct result of how awful the ore there is.

They had to continually fold and beat the steel because of all the impurities.
edit on 10-7-2018 by abe froman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Fowlerstoad

I never though about that aspect of the E-bay trader.

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

Middle America is already starting to complain....

Complaining about what?

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 08:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: testingtesting

No Japanese steel is the best in the world generally but it does depend on what the steel is used for.

And what did Japan do... They Government subsidized their steel industry to sell below cost until the US steel market collapsed.

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 08:34 PM
link   

I'm not a trump guy. To be honest, he comes across as a CEO of Amway kinda guy, and MLM hucksters make my skin crawl, but that is irrelevant.

Whether anyone here will admit it or not, there are at least two distinct narratives in the USA re: trade. The right feels like the US has been taking it in the shorts (and some folks have been, to be honest). They see the president say tough things to our trading partners and they feel like he is standing up to "cheaters.." That's a plus in their eyes and its hard to argue with real economic pain.

On the left the argument is: "trade" is many things. Sometimes you get the best deal, sometimes you get the lesser end. But it isn't just about a "zero-sum" balance sheet. Sometimes, you take a bit of a hit in order to ensure cooperation in other areas: social, political, etc. Other times, you take a hit now but secure a beachhead. We subsidize growing economies and blocks all the time, with the hope that later on -- we will be their "favorite" trading partner (once their economy has stabilized/grown, etc). There are good arguments to be made, certainly, but mostly -- it sounds like "suck it up" and "take one for the team" to people who have seen their own lives and industries disrupted by the loss of jobs in their own sector.

Optics like that are hard to miss and easy to take advantage of (and rightfully so). When the left tells you to educate yourself, the right says: "we are fighting for you!" Which message do you think has more resonance?

All of this speaks to the two biggest problems the democrats have going into the November elections:

1) They have no counter to the simple message of the right (MAGA). Instead, they have "policy positions" which read like a legal contract. Most people can't (or won't) read a 15-page policy doc on economic reform, so in desperation, the Dems turn to....

2) "We're NOT Trump!" Which is a lousy message as it simply reinforces all of the reasons why no one is listening to them anyway ("now you're attacking MY president!"). This energizes their opposition as much or more than it energizes their base, leading to predictable results.

Best case scenario: President Trump negotiates a better deal for US goods and workers.

Worst cast scenario: He doesn't, or the economy goes into recession, or a trade war cranks up inflation, tanking jobs. Who do you think is in a better position to blame the "other side" for doing "nothing?"

Checkmate.

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Well, I can say that come Christmas shopping season, I'll be ogling a little more closely for European-made. American quality is STILL not yet worth buying, IMO. Yes, Chinese-made is often crap, but why the hell would I pay even more for it in tariffs, or worse yet, jacked up domestic prices on equally lousy domestic junk? You want me to pay for American made stuff, it had better be phenomenal and well worth the cost. Right now, it is not.
edit on 7/15/2018 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I heard instead of the Dollar Store it as to be the Two Dollar Store...

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

I want a German style economic cultural policy. Where German people make a point of emphasis to buy German made products.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join