It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EU parliament to keep public in dark on MEP expenses

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I can understand poeples reaction to when I tell them I voted Brexit, of course I did not have the relevant skills to decide if my country would be better or worse of, my choice was merely "would I like to remain in the EU, yes/no"

I mulled over my choice based on numerous things I disliked, none of my chices were influenced by immigration as I am sure others like me were not influenced by the (imo) tool that was farage (farage misspent MEP salary)

Now the rest of the "not to be trusted" have voted for no change to an additional expense they recieve for their work?

EU parliament to keep public in dark on MEP expenses

or

No transparency please, we’re MEPs

I myself have no issues with my fellow EU nations I just strongly disagree with MEP's and their constant grab for cash that WE the public of these nations goes out and earns while someone like Farage denounces them only to remain part of them

edit on 8-7-2018 by UpIsNowDown because: typo

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: UpIsNowDown

What's not to like about a Federal Government that forced itself upon nations that voted against it, whose President isnt even elected by the EU citizenry?

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

The treatment by the EU of Greece really riled me, enforcing more debt on a nation they decide

I cant echo your response more, unelected buffoons who bicker and sleep in the money earned by real genuine people

Explaining Greece’s Debt Crisis

from above article

To avert calamity, the so-called troika — the International Monetary Fund, the European Central Bank and the European Commission — issued the first of two international bailouts for Greece, which would eventually total more than €240 billion. The bailouts came with conditions. Lenders imposed harsh austerity terms, requiring deep budget cuts and steep tax increases.

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 12:35 PM
link   

This just in from the European Parliament.

I voted out for that reason , corruption and cronyism if rife within the EU Parliament and MEP expenses have been a concern for years.
There are too many layers of corruption within the EU , at least after Brexit we'll only have one.

edit on 8-7-2018 by gortex because: spelling

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 01:56 PM
link   
No transparency = abuse. That's what the UK discovered, so now all MP expenses are declared and published, from staffing of the MPs Constituency office to free trips. No one wants to vote for a corrupt MP.

Here's a site with MPs expenses ... MP Expenses and here is the source from the UK Parliament... Parliament

The EU gravy train just keeps rolling on. Do these MEPs not understand?

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Sooner we are out then the sooner we can start growing as an independent nation again.
I will survive as a certain Gloria Gaynor once sung.

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
No transparency = abuse. That's what the UK discovered, so now all MP expenses are declared and published, from staffing of the MPs Constituency office to free trips. No one wants to vote for a corrupt MP.

Here's a site with MPs expenses ... MP Expenses and here is the source from the UK Parliament... Parliament

The EU gravy train just keeps rolling on. Do these MEPs not understand?

It's built into EU culture. If you work at Brussels as an intern, on a placement or as an assistant, they advertise the jobs as being within walking distance of a wide variety of eateries, cafes, restaurant and bars open lunchtimes and all hours. For those graduates being able to "rub shoulders" with the elite of Europe in the restaurants is another dream come true.

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Let me say this first, I too voted Brexit and would do so again and again. The number of people who voted based on immigration alone is actually a lot smaller than most people think, it's only because the media has pushed the idea that low intelligence people who hate everyone who isn't born in the UK, being in the UK is just a lie. I voted and many of the people that I know who voted did so on the basis of the power struggle between nations and the EU government (yep that's what it is, whether they call themselves that or not). We had no right to do real trade without their say so, we had no borders, I mean seriously we had no border control (I'm talking knowing who are coming in, where they are coming from) our votes in the UK were pointless because any law we made had to be given the okay by the EU. The EU power heads were not voted on but chosen, hell they had people in places of power who I'd never heard of and I follow a lot of EU business when it comes to the laws that effect the UK.

The main thing you should take away from this is the same thing I say about Dodgy David Cameron when it came out that his best friend Gary Barlow was skipping on paying taxes and using loopholes. When someone who hated and spoke out against Camera (Jimmy Carr) was caught doing the loop hole deal Camera was all about morality etc but when it was his friend it was different and he didn't want to talk about it. This is the same situation, Farage is seen as the threat and a hated man so they will take and publish his apparent failings but keep their own secret. It is classic.

I feel for those who didn't want us to leave but I do not and will never change my mind.

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Also, just to keep this thread alive. In the UK an MP must declare all their financial and non financial interests. This is meant to make transparency of interests clear.

MPs interests
edit on 9/7/2018 by paraphi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 07:49 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Thanks man, I hope it does not get to lost in the usual "left vs right" propaganda

@ Gortex, yeah only 1 level of corruption left, at least we get to vote on those

How the hell any politician believes the spending of public finances should not be 100% transparent is incredulous, the deception has festered for to long, ultimatley I know the average guy/gal on the street will not benefit from Brexit as the PTB will find another vein to leach off and another group to blame.

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 07:53 AM
link   
No surprise.
Its how the EU keeps support amongst the ruling classes after all.
Promising them unfettered access to a big pot of money taken from the pockets of the workers.
Promising the politicians in member states a seat on the gravy train if they continue to support this abuse.
There is no end to it and it is why we need to get free and clear as quick as we can.

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

So, the fact that MEPs and the EU Commission et al, are not compelled to reveal their expenses and their interests is worrying. The lack of transparency is a severe threat to trust. Makes one wonder whether the oft-told story of MEPs receiving bribes (sorry, meant donations) from people like Soros, or the Russians, or the German auto industry are actually true.

If you've got something to hide, or are embarrassed by your expenses excesses, then transparency is a threat. Could the whole EU be corrupt? Surely not.

edit on 9/7/2018 by paraphi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

It goes beyond that.
The council of ministers (The ones who make the laws) only ever meet in secret and are utterly unaccountable to the people because they aren't even elected.
It's a Soviet style "shamocracy"

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 08:28 AM
link   
What a surprise; a complete absence of comments from Remoaners and pro-EU members.

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 08:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

just in case they/anyone cant be bothered to click the link

excerpts from my 2nd link

The institution’s 751 MEPs receive €4,416 a month on top of their salaries for expenses, as a lump sum, tax free. This adds up to nearly €200 million in taxpayer money per parliamentary term.

As part of the MEPs Project, a loose collection of journalists from all EU countries, my colleagues and I have been trying to get to bottom of how MEPs are compensated for their expenses since 2015.

What we have discovered is a brazen disregard of the rules. Though the General Expenditure Allowance is predominantly intended to cover the rent and related costs of an office in an MEP’s constituency, we found in 2017 that a third of the Parliament — 249 MEPs — either did not have a national office, refused to disclose where it is or failed to answer questions about whether and where such an office exists.

Of those that did have a national office, journalists found more than 40 paid rent to their national political parties, which raised suspicions of unallowed national party financing. Eight MEPs’ national offices were located in buildings that they themselves own. One of those is chairman of the EPP group, Manfred Weber.

A few MEPs admitted to paying rent to themselves. Some explained they donated money to their party and different foundations. One MEP said he was saving the money for a pension. None of this is in line with rules governing the general allowance spending.

Nice so they take money and either pay themselves or save for pensions, and yet in the nations from which these leaches represent, I guarantee there will be homelessness and elderly who need finacial support and with £(euros)200million currently being handed out without accountability, it makes me wonder who they are actually representing
edit on 9-7-2018 by UpIsNowDown because: typo

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 09:11 AM
link   

The EU is riddled with corruption at every single level and cronyism is rampant.

In addition it is autocratic, dictatorial and undemocratic.
It seeks to eliminate national identity and heritage.

The EU needs to be dismantled and eradicated immediately.

posted on Nov, 24 2018 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: UpIsNowDown
a reply to: Freeborn

A few MEPs admitted to paying rent to themselves. Some explained they donated money to their party and different foundations. One MEP said he was saving the money for a pension. None of this is in line with rules governing the general allowance spending.

Nice so they take money and either pay themselves or save for pensions, and yet in the nations from which these leaches represent, I guarantee there will be homelessness and elderly who need finacial support and with £(euros)200million currently being handed out without accountability, it makes me wonder who they are actually representing

The whole Kinnock family feathered their nests and did very well out of the EU.

top topics

join