It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oompa Loompa Doopity doo.. I got a weird phone mystery for you

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I own a Note 4. Last year, I got it a 10,000 mah battery (A Zerolemon). Phone now has a brick of a case, lasts about a week or 2 on a charge, blah blah blah, etc etc etc. Charging it from 15-100% takes the better part of a night. I was at 53% yesterday, and plugged it for about 10 min due to the fact I had to call the wife, while the insane landscapers chopped down several of her plants. It got up to a whole 58 or something. I unplugged, phone did what the phone does, which is sit unused for the rest of the night, and got turned off. I went to bed.

Got up this morning, turned it on, plopped it in my pocket, went for my morning walk. Came home, happened to pull it out when it dinged at me... My phone is reading an 82% charge. For that much of a charge, the phone would have to be plugged in for 1+ hours, on top of the 58 something it had gotten before (Fast charging and the battery do not play well together). Another way to get an odd reading on the battery is to turn it off, undo the case, pull the battery, reverse the steps. Phone hasn't been removed from the case, as it's a pain to do it for no good reason.

I am simply at a loss on this. Any ideas?

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 07:48 AM
link   
a reply to: wylekat

It happens to me where my phone reads dead so I turn it off and it turns back on with 15% or more battery.

I'm assuming it's a problem with determining how much battery is actually left.

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Maybe you read it wrong and it was at 85% not 58%?

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 08:06 AM
link   

My best guess is that the cause of this is a sort of memory effect but with a demented battery

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Mobile phone software is no different to other software: prone to errors and flaws.

My first assumption would be a failure in the OS somewhere to report the correct battery state. Used to see it all the time on my android phones and some of the more recent iPhone/iPads.

basically, same as what OccamsRazor04 said.

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: wylekat
I am simply at a loss on this. Any ideas?

Maybe you have an everlasting charge stalker.

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 08:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

It happens to me where my phone reads dead so I turn it off and it turns back on with 15% or more battery.

I'm assuming it's a problem with determining how much battery is actually left.

I (sorta) thought the same, so I pulled the battery a few minutes ago. It jumped up a whole 1%- which really is odd- as the thing will always read about 15-20% when I do that. If I didn't know any better, it's exactly as if someone pulled the battery. When I say someone, nobody in this house except me would know how, or even want to try. I don't do it except for SD card insertion, or I change out the sim when I want to use the fancy phone for top notch pics somewhere, or the weather is so crummy, I have to change it out for the same fancy (IP68) phone. Or, like a few minutes ago, to check battery and phone, which is a first time- as the phone has not had a complaint past an update being stupid.

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 08:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

Maybe you read it wrong and it was at 85% not 58%?

Last time it got charged was last Sunday. 53-58% is about the norm for this battery, phone and the demands I put on it.

Yes. I can get somewhere around 10 days out of the thing.

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 08:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: deckdel

My best guess is that the cause of this is a sort of memory effect but with a demented battery

I hope not. This battery cost some serious $. Seems to be working as it should, minus the really odd %

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 08:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: noonebutme

Mobile phone software is no different to other software: prone to errors and flaws.

My first assumption would be a failure in the OS somewhere to report the correct battery state. Used to see it all the time on my android phones and some of the more recent iPhone/iPads.

basically, same as what OccamsRazor04 said.

Hell of an error. Also, I did check it, as per my reply to OccamsRazor04- which would give me an accurate number. It jumped a whole 1%, which is weird in itself. It's not been charged completely since last Sunday, minus 10 minutes or so while I called yesterday, which always in the case of contacting my wife is nearly impossible. It's become SOP to plug in and brace for a wait.

On a completely unrelated note, I did tell the idiot gardening crew they better pray to god they leave before she showed up...

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 08:34 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Last thing I need is someone doing weird crap. I got enough as it is.

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: noonebutme

That was my first thought too. I guess the first thing I'd try is to clear the cache partition from recovery mode.

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Unless one is comparing which apps were running and using battery power both prior to and after gauging the battery charge level, I'd just chalk it up to particular apps running in the background.

The battery charge indicator is more complex in these phones than one would like to think. It is constantly calculating the state of health/charge vs. the apps installed and or running in the phone. In my opinion, it's just likely that an app was running in the background prior to turning the phone off, and with the app no longer running in the background upon restarting the increased battery capabilities are being indicated in the phone battery charge level.

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 09:41 AM
link   
The battery level indicator works on voltage output. Any battery will give a voltage output that is roughly related to the charge inside. There is no sure way to measure the charge inside the battery without putting it under a known load.

What is happening is the battery is cooling down when the phone is off and it will then show a different voltage when it is turned on than it will when it is warm. It might run that way for 10 years, or the battery might die in the next 5 minutes; no way to know. Probably the former, but it does sound like the new high-capacity battery is showing wear.

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 09:42 AM
link   

The battery sensor needs to be recalibrated by draining your phones battery completely until it turns off. Then charge it to 100% turn your phone on with it plugged in then unplug it once it boots up.

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 10:16 AM
link   

I got one for ya.

Back in 2015 i let my note 3 go kaput because when i handed to my friend, he ended up dropping it in a beer pitcher... I simply left it on my desk to discharge its battery after that (and yes, i did leave the phone turned off for a day to see if itd dry properly).

My phone had another agenda, I guess, because not only did it survive for more than a day, it survived for, im not kidding, 4 days. Weirdest part was the fact that after a day the screen showed the "battery charging" symbol from then on, and it was definitely never plugged in at any point during those 4 days.

Apparently dropping your phone in beer gives it super powers?

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Got up this morning, turned it on, plopped it in my pocket, went for my morning walk. Came home, happened to pull it out when it dinged at me... My phone is reading an 82% charge.

Must have been your personal 'electrics' transfers to your phone.

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Phones do available energy resampling from time to time. The algorithms can generally look at both current and voltage. If it has been a while, and you can't tell, between major sampling routines, there can be an adjustment in measured settings.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 12:05 PM
link   
The monster battery probably has it's own regulator in it that the phone is reading weird. You can't just dump 10 amps into your phone, so it prob regulates it down to a normal amperage.
Your regulated amps may be lower than original battery.

edit on 7 by Mandroid7 because: Added2

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Well, I seen it all. Someone wrote a thread about a bad battery...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join