It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SEALED INDICTMENTS - Their Number is Exploding Across America in 2018.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 12:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
September 2, 2018
As of August 31st, there are now 51,701 sealed indictments across all 50 states. That's 6,700 MORE than there were just 30 days ago!

This video does a nice job of explaining how unusual it is to have so many sealed indictments in existance, and what they are LIKELY for.

Be cautious who you take advice from. That person is not very knowledgeable about this issue, even though it may sound like he is.

Their claim is provably false. The numbers are mostly accurate, but they are not unusual. They are using a flawed study from 2009 (which uses data from 2006), that uses a different methodology than they are using, to compare their results to. This is misleading, and embarrassingly so when you search PACER for recent history.

They claim 1000 sealed proceedings per year is normal out of all 94 districts COMBINED. This is ONE district over only FIVE months, in 2015... it returned 1500 sealed proceedings. This search was made using their EXACT methodology in PACER.

i.imgur.com...

This is proof that their '1000 per year is normal' claim is false. Additionally, there is no evidence that the numbers we are seeing are unusual.

I have spent nearly $100 researching this in PACER, and I have spoken with the 'research' team that is maintaining the document. I have more proof if needed. Feel free to ask questions.

edit on 11-9-2018 by wwmerth because: removed link

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 12:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

This number appears to be based on the 2009 FJC report, an analysis of 2006 data. They found 1,077 sealed cases. Of those, they found 284 sealed for sealed indictments. They also found 15,177 sealed magistrate cases from 2006.

From what I gather, this list of 25k, 35k, 40k — whatever outlandish figure is being cited now — is a pull of PACER records which includes magistrate case records. So right off the bat, this alleged "average number" appears to be bogus af.

Not only that but there's no way of telling from PACER whether or not records marked "sealed" are in fact indictments. In fact, most of them are NOT, as is evidenced from the FJC report. All sorts of actions, motions, documents, etc are filed under seal.

You are correct. This is a mixture of EGREGIOUS misrepresentation, and flawed research. As you can see in my post above, I provided proof that the average number is false. Feel free to ask questions.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 01:01 AM
link   
a reply to: wwmerth

That Image/report you linked to, does indeed show 1,500 new sealed indictments for just that 5 month period..for one CA. district. Wow. I wonder how many had accumulated over the years and are still sitting there?

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Debunking the claims about "40,000 sealed indictments"

www.reddit.com...

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 04:36 AM
link   
a reply to: XAnarchistX

From your link

but it also includes search warrants, records of petty offenses (like speeding tickets), wiretap and pen register applications, etc.

But the Qsters will ignore this

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
a reply to: wwmerth

That Image/report you linked to, does indeed show 1,500 new sealed indictments for just that 5 month period..for one CA. district. Wow. I wonder how many had accumulated over the years and are still sitting there?

To clarify, that search only shows cases that were filed during that time period.

In regards to the 'total' number of sealed cases in the system, that have accumulated over the years... it would be enormous.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join