It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ginsburg to Egyptians: I wouldn't use U.S. Constitution as a model

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

Philippines does not have a duplicate. Nowhere has a duplicate. Perhaps you can look into the deviations they made.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

It's not a fashion statement, changing with each new trend. it defines America.

So, you think our Constitution is perfect?

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis
a reply to: Plotus

It's not a fashion statement, changing with each new trend. it defines America.

So, you think our Constitution is perfect?

You do not need to think it is perfect to think it's the best starting point.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

Philippines does not have a duplicate. Nowhere has a duplicate. Perhaps you can look into the deviations they made.

I have you need to learn about governments start here.
en.m.wikipedia.org...

en.m.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 12:25 PM
link   

I have, and my wife is Filipino so I closely follow their politics. In fact the last time they were going to make changes the people were against it and wanted to stay with what they had.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

Ginsburg needs to get the hell out of governmental services. The woman is fairly useless on a good day.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Ginsburg needs to get the hell out of governmental services. The woman is fairly useless on a good day.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults

She believes we should look to the constitution of South Africa as a model for governance. Here's my personal issue.... right in the preamble of the South African constitution a stated goal is social justice.

I just need to ask, how is that working out for South Africa? We have a tendency to put into writing things that humans by nature will never meet. I think our forefathers were aware of this and wrote ours with that in mind.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

They intentionally guranteed the PURSUIT of happiness not happiness itself. You can't write in a guarantee of that.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

You do not need to think it is perfect to think it's the best starting point.

Exactly this. We're capable of thinking - and acting - in all of our best interests. On our feet - and with great deliberation

Why should we sell ourselves short and turn the whole thing into a sordid partisan, status quo squabble? Ginsberg was only saying that South Africa worked to create something that represents everyone, not just those that claimed South Africa for themselves back at it's start, but for all of those people moving forward into the future together as South Africans

Our constitution is not sacred. It was written by people for people with the idea that we can govern ourselves. By thinking

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

That is not what I heard her say. Look how well it turned out for SA.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Look how well it turned out for SA.

Look how well things are turning our for us here. Is it the fault of our constitution?

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 03:16 PM
link   

What happened in SA is a result of social justice warriors. What we have in America is assault on the Constitution. That's why Free Speech is now wrong according to liberals.

Facebook labeled excerpts of the Declaration of Independence as hate speech. Liberals are now saying Free Speech causes injustice.

“When I was younger, I had more of the standard liberal view of civil liberties,” said Louis Michael Seidman, a law professor at Georgetown. “And I’ve gradually changed my mind about it. What I have come to see is that it’s a mistake to think of free speech as an effective means to accomplish a more just society.”

To the contrary, free speech reinforces and amplifies injustice, Catharine A. MacKinnon, a law professor at the University of Michigan, wrote in “The Free Speech Century,” a collection of essays to be published this year.

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Facebook labeled excerpts of the Declaration of Independence as hate speech. Liberals are now saying Free Speech causes injustice.

Is that what liberals are saying? Or is that what FB's algorithm determined? C'mon - you can do better

‘Calling for a revolution!’: Trump fans ‘triggered’ after NPR tweets out the Declaration of Independence

After NPR tweeted the accompanying text of the declaration line by line, Donald Trump backers (seemingly unaware of the source document) accused the media organization of playing partisan politics and attacking the president.

“So, NPR is calling for a revolution,” Twitter user @JustEsrafel wrote.

“Propaganda is that all you know?” another asked.

Some even taunted NPR over Trump’s budget proposal, which slashes endowments for the arts and humanities, insisting the media organization should lose federal funding for its allegedly subversive rhetoric.

You and I could exchange this kind of BS all day - what would it prove? You quote two people with opinions. You think this proves - what?

Are liberals your enemy? Seems a little simplistic - and silly. What else you got?

edit on 7/7/2018 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 03:50 PM
link   

a reply to: Xtrozero

They intentionally guranteed the PURSUIT of happiness not happiness itself. You can't write in a guarantee of that.

Correct, happiness is not a right, having a clear path to gain it is a right.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 04:02 PM
link   
No. The progressive arm of the liberals is the enemy. Most liberals are just fine and I agree with them on a lot of things.

Are you saying that people trying to limit free speech is not your enemy?

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Are you saying that people trying to limit free speech is not your enemy?

What I'm going to say is that social justice warriors are to be found on the left - and on the right

I'm also going to say that declaring that certain identifiable (by you) people are your enemy won't solve any of this. I believe (unbelievably) that most people come by their beliefs honestly. If we can all respect that idea, then there's room to talk

Working towards a society where we all work together towards real justice for all people (citizens and non-citizens alike) is a worthy goal I think. Accepting that we're going to screw it up most of the time is just keeping it real, and helps to keep us all honest

Weak people need an enemy

“...the arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice.”
edit on 7/7/2018 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: Gryphon66
Our Constitution is the oldest existing singular constitution in the world and the constitutions that have been structured since ours THAT USE OURS AS A MODEL focus more on the primacy of human rights as well as an indepependent co-equal Judiciary.

If you want to get technical, the Magna carta would be the forerunner of the Constitution.

It's considered to be a part of the "constituting" documents of English law, but, Magna Carta limits the powers of the English King, provides for security of powers (rights) to the aristocracy ... so ... yeah, kinda. IMO

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 04:48 PM
link   

a reply to: Gryphon66

Exactly what I said. The human rights guaranteed in the US Constitution is not what she wants. She wants a social justice Constitution such as the SA one.

Not only are you changing what you said, you're ignoring what Ginsburg is saying and you don't seem to know what the South African Constitution says.

Constitution of South Africa
edit on 7-7-2018 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 07:15 PM
link   

RBG is a disgrace. Can't wait to see her replaced by a jurist who supports and defends the original meaning of our Constitution

She should resign in disgrace and be seen for the shallow human being she is

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join