It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ginsburg to Egyptians: I wouldn't use U.S. Constitution as a model

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
a reply to: DBCowboy

Yeah..for far too long. She advocated lowering the age of sexual consent to age 12, in 1997. Who appointed Ginsburg?

Clinton

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

No, it's not "cleared up" at all.

She was making legal academic points about the construction of a modern constitution, she was not saying that the US Constitution was "unworthy."

Swing and a miss, Occ.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

originally posted by: carewemust
a reply to: DBCowboy

Yeah..for far too long. She advocated lowering the age of sexual consent to age 12, in 1997. Who appointed Ginsburg?

Clinton

All this comes from an intentional misreading of a Ginsburg legal opinion regarding description of Statutory Rape in 1974.

Can anyone show us a direct quote from RBG advocating that the age of consent in general should be reduced to 12?

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 11:38 AM
link   
It doesn’t surprise me...

She has done everything in her power to destroy our Republic.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Why are we bringing up a story from 6 yrs ago. From a purely historical stand point she is correct. Parliamentary governments are easier to administer for countries. The US version seems to fail miserably in other countries like mexico or even the Philippines. So just from a historic aspect makes much more sense to look at the Westminster system.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

If it is worthy why would she not look to it? The only explanation is that it is NOT worthy because she finds it lacking compared to other models.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: whyamIhere
It doesn’t surprise me...

She has done everything in her power to destroy our Republic.

What's an example?

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

If it is worthy why would she not look to it? The only explanation is that it is NOT worthy because she finds it lacking compared to other models.

She gave a pretty fullsome commentary in the article. This is incorrect based on OP's sources.

This still stands:

No, that's not "the ONLY" explanation, that's the interpretation you're pushing.

When you find her stating that the COTUS is unworthy, let me know.

edit on 7-7-2018 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I can hear the demintia slowly seeping into the space normally occupied by spider webs in RBG’s head.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 11:45 AM
link   

She would not look to it. There is only one reason to not do that, because it's inferior.

Please explain how the US Constitution could be superior to others and yet not be a consideration for her.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 11:51 AM
link   

She would not look to it. There is only one reason to not do that, because it's inferior.

Please explain how the US Constitution could be superior to others and yet not be a consideration for her.

Because its not it was set up specifically for the united states. Every attempt to duplicate it elsewhere has failed. So it may work for us its not thr best choice for a country just starting out. Took us 200 years to get where we are now.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 11:51 AM
link   

If you're interested in the facts and context of what she said, here you go:

You're looking for the part around 2:28.

If you still have questions after you listen to what she actually said, rather than the soundbyte, let me know.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Our Constitution is the oldest existing singular constitution in the world and the constitutions that have been structured since ours THAT USE OURS AS A MODEL focus more on the primacy of human rights as well as an indepependent co-equal Judiciary.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

She believes we should look to the constitution of South Africa as a model for governance. Here's my personal issue.... right in the preamble of the South African constitution a stated goal is social justice.

She said: "I would not look to the U.S. Constitution, if I were drafting a constitution in the year 2012

Not the same thing :-)

Too many people think that The Constitution is a sacred document - set in stone. We can think our way in and out of anything - including the ways in which we choose to govern
edit on 7/7/2018 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
Our Constitution is the oldest existing singular constitution in the world and the constitutions that have been structured since ours THAT USE OURS AS A MODEL focus more on the primacy of human rights as well as an indepependent co-equal Judiciary.

If you want to get technical, the Magna carta would be the forerunner of the Constitution.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Hence the number 9. That way there is no draw, but a majority.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 12:05 PM
link   
That's right, just like the Ten Commandments

.a reply to: Spiramirabilis

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

She is just a tad worse shape than Pelosi, and should recognize her time at Scotus is up.

Her opinion of course, but it just totally undermines her position.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Exactly what I said. The human rights guaranteed in the US Constitution is not what she wants. She wants a social justice Constitution such as the SA one.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
That's right, just like the Ten Commandments

.a reply to: Spiramirabilis

It's not a fashion statement, changing with each new trend. it defines America.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join