It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Longtime Democrat NY Assemblyman vows support for GOP until top Dems knock off the insanity

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Brainfart.
edit on 7-7-2018 by intrepid because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove
a reply to: DBCowboy

Clearly I'm no republican and shared a ton of views with the left, probably more than the right, but since the election I've been forced damn near right wing until sanity is restored to the other side of the isle there are no options there.

Probably the one issue I strongly agree with the right on is immigration.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. For many years of my younger life, I never really claimed a political affiliation, but I always did lean towards the left. I never liked any republican president, let alone what they did while in office. That all changed when Obama became president.

Now, even though I still don't claim a political affiliation, I'm leaning a lot towards the right. I don't really like Trump, but I also don't hate him. Oddly enough, I'm impressed with him currently. I feel he's doing a better job than I actually expected him to do. He's taking on a lot of hate as well, and I give him props for that.

What gets me is that I never thought I would EVER lean towards the right, especially being a minority. Maybe it was all the self-righteous upper middle class punk rock kids I knew growing up, or the fact that my family(like many minority families) always tried to convince me that everything bad happening is because I'm brown(I never believed that, but with how often it's spouted it does become part of the thought process). My point being that I never thought I would feel the way I do, yet here I am, wanting to stand between the hateful assholes attacking people for their political beliefs, wanting to defend the old people being assaulted because of a flag, wanting to take the MAGA hat out of that guys hand and give it back to those teens. I'm getting sick of this.

I will not support a political affiliation that is ok with taking away peoples freedoms. I will not support a side that is becoming as violent as they are. I will not support a side that's going bat# insane like they are currently. I've even stopped logging into Facebook, because it saddens me to see many of the people I knew growing up sounding as crazy as the loons on the left.

I guess that's the funny thing about life, though. Everything I never thought would happen, ended up happening. Ranging from as simple as "I'll never stop listening to heavy metal!!!" to "I'll never agree with republicans". lol

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

You can't get to that point until something is done about the media. The media is solely responsible for trumping up the whole 'personality politics' thing, and they do it for their own selfish greed. It sells advertising. And the media only has ONE master, advertising revenue. And I'm not talking about political ads here.

Bottom line; there are many highly qualified people out there who could govern with great success both domestically and internationally, but those people will NEVER run for office. Ever. Why? Because they don't have the desire to allow the media crawl up their ass with a microscope every 5 minutes, or the manipulative character to focus half of their energy on trying to control them.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Like I said earlier, I'm being forced to vote for team R.

I can't stand Rauner, but I'll be damned if I vote for JB. As a business owner, I'm already taxed damn near to the breaking point. JB says he'll make weed legal and that will probably get him elected. Sad times here in Hellinois!

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Necrobile

You know, there's a whole lot of people in this country who need to read, really READ, what you just posted! Then they need to go look in the mirror...honestly.

Stars for you!

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 10:33 AM
link   

By upholding laws?,I see how liberals are,nothing is good unless it pleases them,very self centered,and severe lack of education

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

You can't get to that point until something is done about the media. The media is solely responsible for trumping up the whole 'personality politics' thing, and they do it for their own selfish greed. It sells advertising. And the media only has ONE master, advertising revenue. And I'm not talking about political ads here.

Bottom line; there are many highly qualified people out there who could govern with great success both domestically and internationally, but those people will NEVER run for office. Ever. Why? Because they don't have the desire to allow the media crawl up their ass with a microscope every 5 minutes, or the manipulative character to focus half of their energy on trying to control them.

Yep, the media is a corporatist tool. What's easier though?

Dismantlling a billion dollar industry that's protected in our Constitution?

Or doing our best to free ourselves from the embedded programming?

We can't rid ourselves of the billion-dollar Two Party Puppetshow for much the same reasons.

I agree that we all must start thinking not in artificial political terms but in terms of what is reasonable and right.

Fully agree that we need representatives (and that's in the White House, Congress and the SCOTUS) that are not mere partisans but real patriots who care about the American people MORE THAN they care about their own advancement/interests.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Oldtimer2

By upholding laws?,I see how liberals are,nothing is good unless it pleases them,very self centered,and severe lack of education

Thanks for chiming in with the usual "if it weren't fer them dern librals" comment.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 10:41 AM
link   

We need to also figure out what systematic changes need to be made to prevent many of the tactics used against us. The current voting system for example is easily manipulated against us, so we need to make one that can't.

I think if we can force that kind of change, then by using the new voting system we can do a lot of the rest in time once the new voting system clears out the filth.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Well, a start would be to outlaw negative campaign advertising. Campaign advertising should be restricted to what YOU are going to do, and NOT what the "other" guy did.

What this would do is remove hundreds of millions of dollars from campaign advertising and force the media to be more balanced. Then, if the media decides to cast shade on a political candidate they would run the risk of losing advertising revenue from that candidate. And, it's not regulating 'free press', it's regulating the people doing the advertising.

Just this one step would make for vast improvement.

ETA...plus, negative campaign advertising just fans the flames of media bias under the guise of 'investigative journalism' just to make a buck. So it cuts this whole death spiral off at the knees thus curtailing personality politics at the same time.
edit on 7/7/2018 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

What? You mean candidates actually have and promote their platform instead of throwing names at the other guy? That's crazy talk.
edit on 7/7/2018 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

Ed Zachary!!!

2nd.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Well, a start would be to outlaw negative campaign advertising. Campaign advertising should be restricted to what YOU are going to do, and NOT what the "other" guy did.

Amen. That negative crap is nauseating. "We sucks less" is not a platform.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Is why my voting system would work. Both sides which use the mudslinging tactics would be taken down by the negative votes, as the entire tactic is fear mongering.

The trying to make you fear the other guy more won't work, as all the people that fear both will give them the negatives while fishing for less scary candidates. No more lesser of two evils.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Yeah I voted third party, but it was just as crazy as the other two. The only option is to entire revamp the voting system. I have some ideas.

A three vote system, two for two separate people you want, and one against a candidate you really hate.

This way none of the fear based candidates can win, and only those who have actual support will.

If you really want to force a real multiple party system, add even more votes, with one less cancel vote than the pro votes.

Like say, 10 positive votes and 9 negative votes. This will force there to have to be 10 supported and viable candidates, and because there's a net positive, there will always be a winner, and they will by necessity have the most net positive over all the rest. Meaning more truly support them, and fewest people fear their winning.

I like that idea. I also think we should shed the party mentality and simply have the candidates give us their opinions on all sides. No one should feel obligated to vote anything against their conscious.

The party system seems to dictate each persons views rather than allow them to be individuals. I am a left leaning, gun loving, Constituionalist who lives pro life but wants pro choice as the law. I don't fit the definition of either party but I would have to chose a side if I were to run for office. Because currently winning as a third party candidate is damm near impossible.
edit on 7-7-2018 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Isurrender73

I agree, but parties tend to form whether we like it or not. The best we can do is restrict one candidate per party per vote and thus force more parties onto the ballot along with individuals.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   

a reply to: Isurrender73

I agree, but parties tend to form whether we like it or not. The best we can do is restrict one candidate per party per vote and thus force more parties onto the ballot along with individuals.

I agree we should have at least 5 candidates to choose from and keep the electoral college. Except we don't actually need people in those places because the idea of the electoral college is fair representation and allowing someone to vote against their constituents is not fair.

If it takes more than one vote to determine a winner in a process of elimination I would support that as well.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Well, a start would be to outlaw negative campaign advertising.

And restrict free speech?

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 11:16 AM
link   

a reply to: DBCowboy

It is telling. Especially when they keep doubling down on it. If I were a paranoid person I'd think there was some kind of subtle invasion going on under our noses.

This. They're in complete denial about where the majority of the country is. It's like another "Hillary is up by 14 points" poll moment. They can't let go of that narrative, even though it's obviously wrong. They just can't accept reality. They still haven't accepted the results of the 2016 election.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
... and yet, though the vast majority of us recognize that neither of the two "extremes" held up for us represents our needs, the Two-Party "System" continues as it has for over 200 years.

Until we ALL leave BOTH extreme behind, the hydra will just keep growing new heads.

I'm for abolishing party labels altogether. Force people to get to know the candidates and their stances on the issues instead of just looking what letter appears after their name.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join