It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Longtime Democrat NY Assemblyman vows support for GOP until top Dems knock off the insanity

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+18 more 
posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 09:24 AM
link   

A Democratic New York State lawmaker announced he would be supporting the GOP until Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer can “restore sanity and honesty” to the party.

www.bizpacreview.com...

Now I will say that the GOP is no prize. Let's get that straight at the start. The GOP sucks. But the democrats have worked hard at sucking worse.

The blue wave has become more of a backwash of flat beer found in a can by the roadside than a major push for growth among democrats.

The democrats have no coherent message other than, "Trump bad, m'kay?"

I wonder if we'll see more defections, and more growth of the #WalkAway movement, or is this just a one-off and we'll go back to tearing each others throats out.

Only time will tell.

+16 more 
posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Clearly I'm no republican and shared a ton of views with the left, probably more than the right, but since the election I've been forced damn near right wing until sanity is restored to the other side of the isle there are no options there.

Probably the one issue I strongly agree with the right on is immigration.
edit on 7/7/2018 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

+11 more 
posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

I think you probably speak for many democrat-leaning people. It isn't that you or anyone left the party, but the party has left you.

On immigration, when 60 to 80% of people (depending on the polls) agree with Trump on issues with immigration and ICE, you have to wonder WHO the leadership in the democrat party is representing.

+3 more 
posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 09:33 AM
link   

It is telling. Especially when they keep doubling down on it. If I were a paranoid person I'd think there was some kind of subtle invasion going on under our noses.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 09:36 AM
link   
... and yet, though the vast majority of us recognize that neither of the two "extremes" held up for us represents our needs, the Two-Party "System" continues as it has for over 200 years.

Until we ALL leave BOTH extreme behind, the hydra will just keep growing new heads.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Yeah I voted third party, but it was just as crazy as the other two. The only option is to entire revamp the voting system. I have some ideas.

A three vote system, two for two separate people you want, and one against a candidate you really hate.

This way none of the fear based candidates can win, and only those who have actual support will.

If you really want to force a real multiple party system, add even more votes, with one less cancel vote than the pro votes.

Like say, 10 positive votes and 9 negative votes. This will force there to have to be 10 supported and viable candidates, and because there's a net positive, there will always be a winner, and they will by necessity have the most net positive over all the rest. Meaning more truly support them, and fewest people fear their winning.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
The democrats have no coherent message other than, "Trump bad, m'kay?"

And therein lies the problem. I haven't seen any cogent platform. The status quo isn't going to work. Put forth something that people can at least agree or disagree with.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
It isn't that you or anyone left the party, but the party has left you.

We're gonna be seeing that quote more and more leading up to the 2020 elections.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 09:51 AM
link   

I agree with you 100%, however I'm on the other side.

I can't stand being called a Republican. I'm a Conservative, a true Conservative. And I abhor the way the right has been doing things for quite some time. I was furious with the rights birthergate and obstruction with everything the left attempted to do. Zero compromise on either side is not a good thing and I vowed not to vote for any Republicans until they were willing to fight for the people and not partisan politics.

That said, the Democrats have zero leadership and zero message, except F#ck Trump. It's embarrassing to watch and is going to force me(and millions of others) to swallow our pride and vote for team R.

The only positive I can see is that people from both sides are fed up with these assholes.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Some distancing from certain crazy extremes and activities are necessary as well. At least the right typically recognizes it's extremist groups and such as what they are.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 09:53 AM
link   

GOP is terrible. They just are not destroying the fabric of America like Democrats, they just want to destroy the environment.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 09:58 AM
link   

We have known since the beginning of the US that political parties are not primarily representing the People.

It is in the interest of those who want to control us to have the Two-Party Puppetshow (and even the bit part players of Alternatives).

The greatest strength and weakness with republicanism is that we have to choose someone to represent us, and that systems has been corrupted by power-players from the beginning.

When most of us start denying the idea that a for-profit political machine ("the Parties") repesents us and we start electing our represenatives based on their well-established values and character rather than what they say ... we might start to have a chance.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

GOP is terrible. They just are not destroying the fabric of America like Democrats, they just want to destroy the environment.

The GOP is trying to tear down our long-established institutions to provide cover to the President.

Both parties are anathema to the People .

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Name those long established institutions.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Thus my system. It would overwhelm their ability to manipulate the will of the people and force them to play a bit nicer as most of their tactics would fail in such a system due to the negative vote mechanic.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove

Thus my system. It would overwhelm their ability to manipulate the will of the people and force them to play a bit nicer as most of their tactics would fail in such a system due to the negative vote mechanic.

Absolutely, and more than that, it's something we can all do, starting today right where we are.

No billion dollar campaign budgets needed.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 10:09 AM
link   
This is what is wrong with many of the Dems. No real message, other than "Resist Trump". The Illinois race for Governor is a prime example. One of the leading Dems, JB Pritzker, has no stance on many issues, but his campaign slogan is "Illinois Will Be Firewall Against Trump" and instead of solutions, just slams the current Governor/policies. He claims to "support" the 2nd, but has a whole slew of restrictive new gun laws he wants to pass. He is FOR raising corporate taxes, when companies are fleeing the state because of current taxes and wasting of money.
I do agree with him on several issues, such as LGBT equality and to legalize and tax marijuana, but his main message continues to be "Vote for me because.... TRUMP!!".
www.ontheissues.org...

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

The GOP is trying to tear down our long-established institutions to provide cover to the President.

Both parties are anathema to the People .

Elaborate on the institutions Trump is tearing down?
edit on 7-7-2018 by pavil because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 10:19 AM
link   

This lawmaker isn't accomplishing anything by supporting just another self-serving party who have clearly ignored the dishonesty of their own party leader. If he removed his party affiliation and became an independent, he would than have my attention.

Sanity and honestly isn't found in neither party! We could also add self-serving, ignorance, catering to outside corporate and political interests to the list. Many here fail to admit it, but our political system is broken. They can no-longer work together and they spend more time attacking each other than negotiating on behalf of the American people's interests. We have numerous problems affecting the Majority of Americans, such as healthcare, the high cost of prescriptions, education, gun violence/school shootings, consumer privacy, etc... None of which both sides have come together to pass any solid legislation that would address these problems.

if both representatives on both sides can't demand or pressure our leaders to uphold the basic values of this country, the U.S. will be no better than state controlled countries who give absolute power to their dictators. Shame on us, if Americans ignore the dishonesty, incompetency, the constant attacks on the media and the basic moral values the U.S. represents.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

I'm telling you all, put my voting system in place and the republican and democratic party will both die the second it's used.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join